• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help with Elf Archer build

fendermallot

Explorer
My archer is a defender of the forests he grew up in. He is not necessarily a ranger, but his primary weapon has always been a bow. I haven't played this character since 2e and would love some help from this community in figuring out how to make him the best archer/damage dealer in my new group. We're starting at level 12 and he just wants to wow his new "friends" with his archery prowess.Backstory:He is a loaner. He tended to roam the boarders of his clan's home watching for trouble and keeping to himself. He doesn't necessarily distrust outside people, but any threat to the forest he calls home will be met quickly and from as great a distance as possible. He is a shoot first kind of guy. Chaotic Good, I suppose. I've had thoughts about him being a "special agent to the king of the elves" in the past. This allowed him to be super stealthy and to take out enemies of the state, be they elf or other.Any thoughts EnWorld? Thanks in advance! Everything I've read here has been amazing!

Henry

Autoexreginated
From your description, you really can't go wrong with the stock Ranger class with Hunter archetype. Since you're starting at 12th level, Choose archery fighting style, the colossus slayer ability, and the volley ability, and you're mostly there. Lots of damage output, and load your Dex as much as possible with ability score increases, and the precision and damage will take care of itself.

Now, if you see your archer as the non-spell-using type, you can build an archer using fighter, and the battlemaster archetype. Its disadvantage is that the superiority dice that help you do cool things like super-accurate attacks or super-damaging attacks run out quickly; if your DM is not used to the concept of Short Rests, then you and several other classes will be at a huge disadvantage. For the stealthy component, the "criminal" background is the only one that offers it, but the Players Handbook itself makes the suggestion of customizing backgrounds; i would see if the DM is OK with you taking the "outlander" background and swapping athletics for Stealth. (i wouldn't swap survival, because it sounds more important to your character description than athletics.) if the DM won't allow that, then multiclassing (if allowed) for one level or either ranger or rogue will give you proficiency in stealth.

As for feats, no matter your class, if feats are allowed, and you don't mind losing bonuses to Dexterity or constitution, the two best ones for you are sharpshooter, and (counterintuitively) crossbow expert. Why crossbow expert? For the ability to attack things with your bow in melee combat without taking disadvantage! Part of being an archer who can consistently hit in 5e is not so much stacking up attack bonuses, but eliminating penalties. With no penalty to hit things next to you, no penalty to hit things far away, and no penalty to hit things in cover, you can basically become the Movie version of Legolas. :) in the first movie, I'm not sure I remember him ever using anything but a bow, and neither will you, unless the ammo runs out of course. If feats aren't allowed by the DM, that's OK, because it means you just keep stacking up bonuses to DEX and CON until you max out. You will then be the best archer that you can possibly have in the game at this time. That should net -- what, a +11 to hit without magic weapons at level 12? In 5e that's phenomenal.

Anyway, good luck, and have fun!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Hi, and welcome to the boards! Second post in 4 years! woo.

One of the bed features of 5e for me is that so much of what you describe is covered in backgrounds. Look at the Outlander background, which gives you outdoor survival skills and athletics (both really important skills) and the "Wanderer" feature. The PHB lets you customize backgrounds, so if you do't want to play a musical instrument or speak another language, you can slip in the Herbalism kit or one of the other tools on PHB p. 154. (Also, possibly substitute "Nature" for Athletics, since you can get Athletics or Acrobatics from your class.)

As for class, for me the question is about your experience of play. Do you want to be casting spells? You don't really mention magic, and so Ranger might not be right for you, even though it has good crowd-clearing abilities. I'd suggest you look instead at a straight fighter or rogue. Both of them are effective archers:
* a Battlemaster fighter at level 12 will have 3 attacks (!), so that's a lot of regular arrows, some of which can be boozed with superiority dice (as Henry describes above) for some cool effects. A Champion fighter is a bit more straightforward to play, and is more likely to Crit, but fewer tricks.
* a Rogue has Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, and Reliable Talent, as well as +6d6 sneak attack. Fewer shots, but more precise. Both thief and Assassin subclass have relevant and unrelevant abilities: Assassin gives you better performance in the first round of combat, but also disguise skills; Thief gives you stealth and slight-of-hand bonuses. Arcane Trickster if yo want to also have the ability to throw up illusions.

Henry has given you advice on feats, which I would follow before boosting your stats.

Hope this helps!

faria

First Post
I would suggest Bard or Bard/something multiclass. At level 10 Bard, you can pick up Swift Quiver (7 levels earlier than a Ranger would be able to by the way) to make tons of extra attacks. Go School of Valor for ANOTHER extra attack and pour everything into DEX and CHR. Inspiration dice are your friend.

If you wanna have a little more fun, then dip a couple levels into Rogue for Sneak Attack, Expertise, and Assassinate. Or Fighter for +2 to ranged attacks and Action Surge. Or possibly even Ranger.

Bards are just ridiculously fun in 5e.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I agree Bards are tons of fun, but I think for this concept a Ranger (Hunter) fits the bill really well.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Ranger(hunter)7/Rogue(any)5.

Hmm well he mentions "super stealthy" to "take out enemies of the forest". So maybe Rogue (Assassin) ? If he needs healing, he could instead take Rogue (Thief) and the Healer feat, and use his Fast Hands ability to use a healer kit as a free action during a round to heal himself or someone else.

bganon

Explorer
"Best archer" suggests to me Fighter or Ranger (Hunter). Elven Rogues can use bows, but to keep up damage-wise you'll need your allies to set up Sneak Attacks for you after the first round, which doesn't fit with "loner". "Super stealthy" is just a skill, really; Rangers get some freebies there but a Fighter could be almost as good. 5E Rangers have a bit of a supernatural feel but you can minimize that by using spell slots for Hunter's Mark (which is really just extra damage with bow & arrow).

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Don't discount the fighter (champion). Critting on a 19+ , 18+ at later levels, can do wonders for your damage. You get second wind for that added bit of toughness and action surge to rally dish out the damage with 6 attacks. Having a couple of extra feats is great too. You'll be able to max your dex, pump your con for survivability a bit and pick up some sweet feats. With the outlander background you can get all of your survival skills and you are allowed to swap out skills that overlap between the background and class so you'll be able to get stealth. Combined with your natural stealth you should be golden.

There is also the UA variant spell less ranger if you want to stay away from the spell stuff. Add the Hunter subclass to it and I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Coredump

Explorer
Ranger(Hunter)5/Rogue(Assassin)5

Expertise in stealth and Perception. Grab Sharpshooter when you can, ignore Crossbow expert.

You will be doing a ton of damage, excellent mobiity, Hiding, etc. etc.

After that, either more Rogue, or FIghter(BM) 3 then more rogue.

Remove ads