• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with finding playmat

theRogueRooster

First Post
I am trying to find a good gridded play mat for use with my group. Does anyone have any recommendations for one that can be used with dry erase markers? I vaguely remember a product released last year that was a series of smaller mats that could be attached to each other puzzle-style. Anyone know the name of that product and if it is still being produced? I didn't see anything like it on RPG Shop.

Thanks,
-tRR

reveal

Adventurer
I went out to Steel Sqwire's site today and they are releasing a product called "Flip-Mats." I have their templates, which are awesome. It looks like a cool product for the DM-on-the-go,

http://www.steelsqwire.com/prod01.htm

Oops. I didn't see you were looking for a dry-erase mat. I'm not sure this is what you're looking for.

CalicoDave

Explorer
I'll second the mention of Tact-tiles. They're just great.

I picked up the set of 12 at Origins this year and there's no going back to the Chessex battlemat. Being dry erase they are a lot easier to clean up and the modularity makes them so much easier to use.

IronWolf

blank
I'll add to the Tact-Tiles chorus. They make it real nice to remove ones not needed forward for new sections of the map without having to erase the whole battle mat and starting over with the drawing. Mine have seen somewhat regular use (every other week), but they are transported to the place we play. They seem to be holding up well, we've been using them since January of this year.

reveal

Adventurer
IronWolf said:
I'll add to the Tact-Tiles chorus. They make it real nice to remove ones not needed forward for new sections of the map without having to erase the whole battle mat and starting over with the drawing. Mine have seen somewhat regular use (every other week), but they are transported to the place we play. They seem to be holding up well, we've been using them since January of this year.

Question: How many squares are on one side of a Tact-Tile? From the looks of things, if I put all 12 together in a square, I would get 40 x 30.

IronWolf

blank
reveal said:
Question: How many squares are on one side of a Tact-Tile? From the looks of things, if I put all 12 together in a square, I would get 40 x 30.

Correct. The tiles are 10 x 10. So with the 12 you could get the 40 x 30. I *do* sometimes wish I had about three to six more tiles to use for especially large areas.

CalicoDave

Explorer
I was just getting mine around to take to a game tonight so I looked: each tile is essentially 10" x 10"

And I'm a minute slow! :)

reveal

Adventurer
IronWolf said:
Correct. The tiles are 10 x 10. So with the 12 you could get the 40 x 30. I *do* sometimes wish I had about three to six more tiles to use for especially large areas.

That's what I was thinking. I have a large Chessex mat that is at least twice that size and only cost about $20-$30 (I can't remember exactly). Granted, it's not dry erase, but still, to get the same size, I'd have to spend at least $100. :(

And, yes, there have been many occassions where I've used most of the mat for combats or other situations.

fafhrd

First Post
IronWolf said:

Are you aware that they sell expansion packs of 3 tiles?

Remove ads