• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with Halfling Ranger Build

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
If there is a melee archer build (I haven't read that guide I linked), it would likely be built around the use of Hunter class feature from MP2, combined with Defensive Mobility for a total of +6 vs OAs. You will need the Fading Strike power, and likely the ubiquitous Twin Strike.

Then look for anything that bumps Prime Shot. Most of the good stuff appears in Paragon - Called Shot and Prime Quarry are the lynchpins. The former gives 5 extra damage on all attacks for which you get Prime Shot, and the latter bumps your PS attack bonus to +2.

Mad Hamish

First Post
The battlefield archer build gets close to a melee archer build
One of the big points with it is that
a) you get an action point when you kill something 1/encounter
b) once you spend an action point you get +5 AC vs opportunity attacks on top of the bonus feat (Defensive Mobility) which gives you +2
So that's +7 AC versus a lot of opportunity attacks

and you can add things like Predator Hide Armour to make things better as well...

If you want to stay with a Hunter build and sharpshooter you can pick up Defensive Moviblity early and have +6AC versus AoO all the time so it's another option.

Herschel

Adventurer
I like the character concept, but wonder why you're taking Weapon Focus so soon. There's a lot more useful feats to take early on. Heck, I'd probably put off weapon focus until a retrain at Paragon. With the feral, darting in and out of melee range concept I might be tempted to go with a throwing weapon and melee training. That would be a lot of fun and keep you from "needing" multiple magic weapons and a way to change them all the time.

brockg777

First Post
The battlefield archer build gets close to a melee archer build
One of the big points with it is that
a) you get an action point when you kill something 1/encounter
b) once you spend an action point you get +5 AC vs opportunity attacks on top of the bonus feat (Defensive Mobility) which gives you +2
So that's +7 AC versus a lot of opportunity attacks

and you can add things like Predator Hide Armour to make things better as well...

If you want to stay with a Hunter build and sharpshooter you can pick up Defensive Moviblity early and have +6AC versus AoO all the time so it's another option.
Yes battlefield archer is great but gives up a lot in taking archery fighting style early on. Right now I'm at +6ac for OAs from ranged attacks because of hunter+halfling. I figured I could put off taking defensive mobility for a bit...
Predator hide would be great, just haven't had the opportunity to get it yet, Sylvan was for the taking.

brockg777

First Post
I like the character concept, but wonder why you're taking Weapon Focus so soon. There's a lot more useful feats to take early on. Heck, I'd probably put off weapon focus until a retrain at Paragon. With the feral, darting in and out of melee range concept I might be tempted to go with a throwing weapon and melee training. That would be a lot of fun and keep you from "needing" multiple magic weapons and a way to change them all the time.
I'm thinking I'm going to stick with the bow for the brutal ranged damage and increased range for shortbow. Depending on the way I go, I could end up retraining fading strike and not using a sword at all at higher levels, so I may not need multiple magic items.
I thought about not taking weapon focus, but read about the importance of increasing static damage mods for twin strike. What feats might you go with instead?
I've thought about:
Bow Expertise for increased accuracy AND damage when no ones adjacent?
Defensive Mobility?- I could maybe hold off till later or just take sharpshooter later and not provoke OAs form ranged attacks?
Cunning Stalker for CA against lone foes(If you interpret it working at range)?
Increased Reflexes- which also adds CA first round of combat?
Or go with mixing bow and sword attacks and take Manticore's Fury followed by Master At Arms( or in the reverse order)?

jbear

First Post
People are usually more friendly and helpful here. Sounds a bit like you've been told off for not having formatted your original post correctly.

You should have called yourself DwarfBarbie and said you were the new girl. You would have received a lot more of a response. If you don't believe me see General Forum.

Anyway...

Welcome to Enworld!

In my humble opinion it's not the easiest making a fun and interesting bow ranger, they are by definition one of the simplest characters to run: Stay out of range, use Twin Strike and don't think about it. I guess one that can hang in melee range is slightly more challenging, but although you have pumped your HPs with Auspicious Birth you only have 7 HSurges. If you're deliberately taking risks to provoke OAs even though your defenses are super high vs OAs, you will get hit more often simply because you will be in the front line.

This can work nicely if you have 1 or 2 defenders in the group and the OAs you provoke trigger their marks, making it even more difficult to hit you and provoking the defender's attacks/damage on whoever is taking a swing at you.

I think how I would play your character tactically would be to skirt around the fringes of melee attacking isolated targets and moving in on marked enemies to provoke OAs when appropriate. But I wouldn't want to be caught in the middle of things too much. The powers you have allow you to get out of the middle of things easily so that shouldn't be too hard. Which makes Prime Shot less attractive. You are going to benefit more from Running Attack by remaining highly mobile skirting around the fringe of melee and moving in when it is advantageous and not to risky to do so.

Here's a quick look at the build, very similar to your own:

level 4
Halfling, Ranger
Fighting Style: Hunter Fighting Style
Ranger: Running Attack
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 21, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 21 Fort: 15 Reflex: 19 Will: 15
HP: 48 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +9, Acrobatics +13, Endurance +7, Stealth +11, Perception +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +4, Heal +4, History +2, Insight +4, Intimidate +1, Religion +2, Streetwise +1, Thievery +8, Athletics +1

FEATS
Level 1: Halfling Short Bow Hunter
Level 2: Bow Expertise (This is the one I'd go for at lvl 2, +1 Attack and +1 dmg vs isolated targets which will happen fairly often, especially if you have a wizard or a sorceror in the group, monsters will spread out if the are being bombarded)
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Bow) (Yep, boring I know, but despite other comments on pg 1, for Twin Strike to become truly noteworthy, especially with only a shortbow, brutal or not, you have to build your static damage at every chance; You will want to aquire Bracers of Archery asap)

POWERS
Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Ranger at-will 1: Fading Strike
Ranger encounter 1: Two-Fanged Strike
Ranger daily 1: Skirmishing Stance (This combines with Running Attack very well)
Ranger utility 2: Invigorating Stride (Get the hell out of here Shift power that lets you use Second Wind at the same time, meaning you can move without provoking OAs,use your Second Wind and still attack! Pretty cool!)
Ranger encounter 3: Disruptive Strike (Out of turn interrupt attack to either defend yourself or an ally)

As for Magic items, you can pick up a Point Blank Short Bow (lvl 3 Item) if you are starting at level 2 or 3. It gives you +2 vs OAs and 1/encounter allows you to make a ranged attack that doesn't provoke OAs. Right up your alley I think.

Anyway, good luck! You can't go too far wrong no matter what you do! 4e is good like that! :)

Last edited:

brockg777

First Post
People are usually more friendly and helpful here. Sounds a bit like you've been told off for not having formatted your original post correctly.

You should have called yourself DwarfBarbie and said you were the new girl. You would have received a lot more of a response. If you don't believe me see General Forum.

Anyway...

Welcome to Enworld!

In my humble opinion it's not the easiest making a fun and interesting bow ranger, they are by definition one of the simplest characters to run: Stay out of range, use Twin Strike and don't think about it. I guess one that can hang in melee range is slightly more challenging, but although you have pumped your HPs with Auspicious Birth you only have 7 HSurges. If you're deliberately taking risks to provoke OAs even though your defenses are super high vs OAs, you will get hit more often simply because you will be in the front line.

This can work nicely if you have 1 or 2 defenders in the group and the OAs you provoke trigger their marks, making it even more difficult to hit you and provoking the defender's attacks/damage on whoever is taking a swing at you.

I think how I would play your character tactically would be to skirt around the fringes of melee attacking isolated targets and moving in on marked enemies to provoke OAs when appropriate. But I wouldn't want to be caught in the middle of things too much. The powers you have allow you to get out of the middle of things easily so that shouldn't be too hard. Which makes Prime Shot less attractive. You are going to benefit more from Running Attack by remaining highly mobile skirting around the fringe of melee and moving in when it is advantageous and not to risky to do so.

Here's a quick look at the build, very similar to your own:

level 4
Halfling, Ranger
Fighting Style: Hunter Fighting Style
Ranger: Running Attack
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 21, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 21 Fort: 15 Reflex: 19 Will: 15
HP: 48 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +9, Acrobatics +13, Endurance +7, Stealth +11, Perception +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +4, Heal +4, History +2, Insight +4, Intimidate +1, Religion +2, Streetwise +1, Thievery +8, Athletics +1

FEATS
Level 1: Halfling Short Bow Hunter
Level 2: Bow Expertise (This is the one I'd go for at lvl 2, +1 Attack and +1 dmg vs isolated targets which will happen fairly often, especially if you have a wizard or a sorceror in the group, monsters will spread out if the are being bombarded)
Level 4: Weapon Focus (Bow) (Yep, boring I know, but despite other comments on pg 1, for Twin Strike to become truly noteworthy, especially with only a shortbow, brutal or not, you have to build your static damage at every chance; You will want to aquire Bracers of Archery asap)

POWERS
Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Ranger at-will 1: Fading Strike
Ranger encounter 1: Two-Fanged Strike
Ranger daily 1: Skirmishing Stance (This combines with Running Attack very well)
Ranger utility 2: Invigorating Stride (Get the hell out of here Shift power that lets you use Second Wind at the same time, meaning you can move without provoking OAs,use your Second Wind and still attack! Pretty cool!)
Ranger encounter 3: Disruptive Strike (Out of turn interrupt attack to either defend yourself or an ally)

As for Magic items, you can pick up a Point Blank Short Bow (lvl 3 Item) if you are starting at level 2 or 3. It gives you +2 vs OAs and 1/encounter allows you to make a ranged attack that doesn't provoke OAs. Right up your alley I think.

Anyway, good luck! You can't go too far wrong no matter what you do! 4e is good like that! :)
Thanks for taking the time to provide me some insight. The problem with running attack, as I read it, is that you have to making an attack with a power that has movement attached to it. So I would only get the bonus on using fading strike or doing a charge. I would need to take other movement hunter powers like skirmish shot, to really use running attack. Am I correct about this? Durable would probably be a good feat to up my healing surges, no? Thanks for the advice on the point blank bow, I will try to get that.

jbear

First Post
No you have understood that correctly. I,on the other hand totally missed that it had to be part of a standard action.

So, yeah, scratch that and take Prime Shot. You can always get behind the lines and nail the enemy artillery sitting back behind their melee allies. Anyway, even if you don't gain the benefits of Prime Shot, with Bow Expertise and 20 DEX you are already pretty accurate.

At least figuring out where best to move to gain your Prime Shot bonus will give you something to keep things entertaining for you :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads