• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with ideas for a curse?

adndgamer

First Post
Well, my PCs have recently inflicted a kind of curse upon themselves as a result of shattering a number skeletons that they believed were undead...The skeletons were just nomal remains lying in an ancient crypt of a noble family which has had a number of interesting protective spells laid over it.. this is one of them.

Now, so far the party has started hearing chains and shuffling. They can't tell where it's coming from. I mean for this to follow them around (I don't know for how long.. any ideas? Until they have righted their wrongdoing somehow?). Maybe have it disrupt their sleep. After a while, perhaps they will start seeing apparations of skeletons which fade away when approcached. And then maybe the apparations will confront the PCs (some ideas I've had are a battle, or perhaps enlisting the PCs to do something for them... have their skeletons made whole again, and then make a generous donation for the upkeep of their tombs..)

I'm not sure. Does anybody have any ideas?

ninjajester

First Post
have the ghosts superimpose their voices over the normal people they meet, so the pc's respond to questions and statements that no one else heard... every time they fall asleep the wind picks up and starts knocking stuff down/over, even if inside... maybe the ghosts superimpose their voices over the pc's in order to make them insult people they need help from, or start fights where stealth is needed... and of course, animals shy away from the pc's and/or hiss when they pass by...

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Be sure to inflict some circumstance penalties to skill checks while they are being harassed, I.E. -2 to Listen, Spot, Search, etc. for being distracted by something I am sure is bothering them. It should also make noise while they are trying to sneak up on things making it easier for them to get caught.

Do they know who to ask for how to set it right? That could be a whole adventure in itself; tracking down the family or a Loremaster who has the information they need.

Just two cents... :)

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Thought of another one...

Add an effect like a perpetual Unseen Servant that touches the backs of necks, turns pages in books, moves little objects around where they are tough to find, snubs out candles, knocks on the other sides of doors, etc. :)

adndgamer

First Post
Mark said:

Don't count on it! :D

:) Aye. *chuckle* Ah well....It's entertaining at least. :D

But I'm off to bed now, as I was up till 4 a.m. last night, err, this morning, gaming. And as it's roughly 2 a.m. now, I think it's best if I get to bed again.

Thanks again,

-Paul

Mr. Grimm

First Post
This may be too late but what the hay... You could have them fight an illusory battle with the skeletons they destroyed, particularly if the players can't figure out what's going on. They can fight, to their deaths, waking up after it's over and all realizing they had the same dream but remembering the skeletons and hopefully recognizing the armor or garments worn. Also, if they are hearing voices, what language are the voices in and does any character speak it? And if they are interacting with NPCs, maybe they can start backing away from the PCs, dealing with them oddly. Standard storybook stuff like gypsies who give them the evil eye, an innkeeper who does'nt want the PCs stinking up his place (because they reek like a dank tomb) and attract vultures and other carrion eaters, high level clerics walking past the players kissing their holy items and advising them to atone for whateer evil acts that have drawn the spectres that hang about them.

Okay the last few might be over the top but you never know what might be needed to klunk over a few thick-headed players... Do it slowly and have fun but make sure they have fun with it too.

Remove ads