D&D 5E Help with ideas for TotYP Competition for our group

OB1

Jedi Master
Hi all, so my group is planning on running TotYP this summer as a competition between the players, with the DM going full killer DM with each module. As such, we will have a scoring system in place. Goal is to have the fewest "strokes" each chapter and over the course of the seven adventures. Players will start each chapter with stokes equal to character level x2. You can not go below 0 strokes in a chapter.

Below is a list of ideas we have for scoring, and I'd love to get a feel for if these are balanced, and also look for more ideas. Trying to keep things as objective as possible and to also encourage co-operation to solve encounters.

If killed in an encounter
Come back to life after encounter with 1hp +3
Come back to life after encounter as if coming off a short rest +5
Come back to life after encounter as if coming off a long rest +10
TPK - Additional +1d6 each PC (additional 1d6 for each previous TPK that chapter)

Only PC Standing after an encounter -5
Stabilize a dying PC -1
Critical Hit -1
First kill in an encounter -1
Last kill in an encounter -1
Most kills in an encounter -1
Buff a PC in an encounter -1
Buff all PCs in an encounter -2
Heal a PC in an encounter -1
Heal all PCs in an encounter -2

Damage a PC +2
Kill a PC +10

Between Sessions (add to start of next session)
Change your race +1 (cumulative with each previous change)
Change your class +2 (cumulative with each previous change)

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Cool. My brain has a hard time wrapping around what feels like backwards math to me. - It means you can freely ressurect your character, but if you are at zero you get no points for being the only one standing at the end of a fight.

I assume that's how you intend it.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

OB1

Jedi Master
Yes. Want 0 to be the best score you can achieve in a single chapter. Thinking also to start each chapter with 2x level in points.
[MENTION=6866340]Ashabel[/MENTION] Tales of the Yawning Portal.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

darjr

I crit!
Sounds like Fun. The Sunday of release I'm going to run the Tomb for 1st level characters as a funnel. What's more I think I figured out how to make it AL legal. I'm running 2 hour events and if you get killed you go back in line for the next one. If there is a TPK then the next two hour event starts right away.

OB1

Jedi Master
Made a few updates to the original post based on further brainstorming with my group Sunday. The main balancing point problem we are facing is how to encourage cooperation while still keeping things competitive. Will probably have to continue to tweak as we go along.

Remove ads