• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help With Jailing

Greatfrito

First Post
Okay, just a quick question for my gaming session tomorrow. It -may- come up that a player ends up jailed in a small town (well, a medium-sized town by the book), and that this player is going to be one of two: either the half-orc barbarian (who I'm not really considering anymore, 'cause he'll kill most of the guards before they can kill him back), or the gnome wizard. Anywho, I know it's gonna come up that they're gonna try to get out. What would you expect a group of people would do with a caster to keep him from casting most spells? I assumed they'd tie him somehow - probably just his hands or fingers.

The other thing is what is the HP and Break DC of a metal bar, like a jail bar? I doubt the gnome would try this... but the half-orc might and most likely -will-. Ah well.

Spatula

Explorer
"Bend iron bars" has a Str check DC of 24. Iron has 10 hardness & 30 hp per inch, so the hit points will depend on how thick the bars are.

The obvious thing to do with casters is to tie their hands behind their back, gag them, and take away their spell components and/or divine focus.

CombatWombat51

First Post
Greatfrito said:
What would you expect a group of people would do with a caster to keep him from casting most spells? I assumed they'd tie him somehow - probably just his hands or fingers.

First, do they know he's a wizard, or at least have a reason to think so?

Second, how dangerous do they consider him, and how ruthless are they? If's he's considered very dangerous and/or they're very ruthless, there shouldn't be any problems with securing his hands behind his back, gagging, blindfolding, and stripping him.

If you're looking for something less, they could secure his hands to the front of his belt area. That means not enough freedom for somatic components, but he can still bend over to scratch his nose and the like.

Also, consider what the jailers know about magic. Are they ignorant bumpkins, or does everyone know the limitations on magic. Bumpkins might put garlic or something around the jail door, or some other superstitious protection. In fact, they might do it in addition to more normal methods of securing him.

In modern America, they'd probably drug the hell out of him so that he was too disoriented to cast anything since that's considered the least harmfull thing to subdue dangerous people. 50 years ago, they would have put him in a straight jacket, and maybe a whole get up complete with gag (think Hanibal).

I had one player who's characters always insisted on stripping and hogtieing everyone, with a loop around the neck, and using it as a leash if the person needed to be moved. His characters, and the player, were a bit nuts. Now he sits in some mountains and hovers over a red button for the Air Force :confused:

italianranma

First Post
I had one player who's characters always insisted on stripping and hogtieing everyone, with a loop around the neck, and using it as a leash if the person needed to be moved. His characters, and the player, were a bit nuts. Now he sits in some mountains and hovers over a red button for the Air Force
That's so funny, I'm going to be a navigator in the same Air Force and my characters do about the same thing, but I just strip them of their weapons, spell components, etc.

Anyway if it's the only jail in town chances are it's going to have either one large cell (to keep all the drunks and beggers in overnight) or that and a smaller isolated one. The isolated one would look like a modern day prison Isolation Cell: It would be metal or morter walls with a metal door (no bars) and a small sliding window on the door to push a try of food through.

When designing it allow for a few things:
1) always list the DCs of the locks AND the location of their keys.
2) write the shifts of the guards down. If it's a really small town they might not have a night staff, so the poor sheriff will have to work overtime and will propably sleep on the floor by the front door, or in his office.
3) Figure out if anyone is bribe-able and list some costs and diplomacy checks to lower said costs (I'd figure 100gp per level of warrior, and 1000 per level of fighter is pretty good)
4) if the PC can't escape, what happens next? They might jail him, and send him to a larger city for trial, or just hang him themselves. Or they could let him go in 2 weeks or so (roll to see if he got a disease while staying, just to be mean)

another fun thing to do is out of a Robert Jordan novel:

have there be a large wooden or metal cage in the town square: All the villagers can through rocks and rotten veggies at the prisoner. At night he'll get cold enough to force fort saves vs. cold (it's in the DMG)

Have fun, and don't let them get away with walking over everyone, there's always a bigger fish.

Edit: fixed some spelling errors. I'm useless w/out word :heh:

Last edited:

Greatfrito

First Post
Lol! Good ideas here, and I'll use a bunch of them eveentually (one stupid player doesn't understand that being evil usually means doing things taht piss people off), but for right now, it's a small-ish trading town, and I'm gonna use the one-cell-jail, and just tie the wizard's hands to his belt. Hell, he's not that scary... (he's being framed for a murder, so he's "Not even supposed to be here" anyways).

Now to make sure the other players aren't asses about it (I'm afraid trusting them to think creatively may bite me in the figurative donkey).

ANywho, thanks a bunch.

CombatWombat51

First Post
Beware tieing his hands to his belt, as he could just take it off. Put a chain with a lock, or something, around his waist that he can't take off and tie his hands to that :)

Oh yeah, and like italianranma hinted, don't fear the big guy just because he's big. Maybe I'm just vindictive, but I might go a little out of my way to cook his goose just because he's a big guy and acts like he can get away with anything ;)

MerakSpielman

First Post
Spatula said:
The obvious thing to do with casters is to tie their hands behind their back, gag them, and take away their spell components and/or divine focus.
A blindfold/hood to keep them from targeting spells is useful too. As is keeping them in a situation that makes concentration difficult (loud noises, pain, whatever).

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
The barbarian arrested for suspicion of murder quickly becomes the barbarian executed for murder if he kills the first guards sent to arrest him.

CombatWombat51 said:
Oh yeah, and like italianranma hinted, don't fear the big guy just because he's big. Maybe I'm just vindictive, but I might go a little out of my way to cook his goose just because he's a big guy and acts like he can get away with anything ;)

CombatWombat51

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
The barbarian arrested for suspicion of murder quickly becomes the barbarian executed for murder if he kills the first guards sent to arrest him.

True. People do get punished for their crimes, after all. Nothing wrong I see.

It wouldn't make much of a difference if he kills some guards. He's gonna hang for a murder he didn't commit, or one he did. Either way he's going to hang.

Remove ads