• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with Magic Item Pricing

skelso

First Post
I have a player interested in the Dimension Stride Boots from the Magic Item Compendium (p. 94.) They essentially let you teleport a very short distance up to 5 times per day as a Standard Action, and also give a +2 to jump all the time. The list price in the book is 2000 gold.

My player wants to know how much an identical pair would cost that would instead allow him to teleport as a swift action.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: For the sake of reference, there is also an item in the MIC called the Anklet of Translocation (p. 71) that allows a character to teleport a very short distance as a swift action, twice per day. They cost 1400 gold, but except for the Swiftness, they are a much weaker item.

Last edited:

skelso

First Post
blargney the second said:
Anklet of translocation iis in the same book a few pages earlier.

Yep, p. 71. Any advice on Pricing the Boots when they are usable as Swift actions?

Thanks.

SolosAddie

Explorer
my thought and i'm no expert.

amulet, 2 times = 1,400

amulet 4 times = 2,800

plus 700 for 5th = 3,500

So i'd go for at least 3,500. Although swift action does make them very useful, so i can see another thousand easy.

skelso

First Post
Thanks for the advice, SolosAddie. That sounds reasonable. If my player decides to go towards the Anklet, I'll probably do something like that.

As to the Boots, I'm thinking one of two possibilities. The boots are based on Dimension Door, which is a 4th level spell. The Quicken feat raises the spell level by 4, so a quickened Dimension Door would be an 8th level spell.

It seems to me I have two possible formulas for deriving the price:

2000 gold = 4^2 * 100 (1600 for Dimension Door) + 400 (for +2 to jump)
So the new boots would cost 6800 gold = 8^2 * 100 (6400 for 8th level spell) + 400 (for +2 jump)

OR

2000 gold = 4 * 500

So new boots: 4000 gold = 8 * 500

I guess there's the additional possibility that the number is pulled entirely from the Book Designer's butt and I should similarly pull a new price from my own.

eamon

Explorer
The swift activation is quite valuable. I'd tend to something more like 7,000gp. Note that the anklet can only teleport 10ft, whereas the boots go up to 60ft - and that option is definitely worth something. Even the cheap activation is 20ft. I'd say 7,000gp, no less ;-).

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
There's an item called the bolt shirt in MIC that lets you teleport 60' as a move action once per day for 5000 gp.

5/day + 60' + swift action = mucho dinero. Ballpark? 30k-40k gp.

eamon

Explorer
blargney the second said:
There's an item called the bolt shirt in MIC that lets you teleport 60' as a move action once per day for 5000 gp.

5/day + 60' + swift action = mucho dinero. Ballpark? 30k-40k gp.

Good find. I do think that 30k is a little on the high side; but perhaps it's not unreasonable. Maybe the original poster should show the player the bolt shirt, and let him buy that or the anklet of translocation (or, both?), instead of an altered set of boots. That sounds pretty safe to me.

skelso

First Post
Thanks for all of the good advice, everyone!

What if I calculate it like this?

A 4th level scroll costs 700gp. An 8th level scroll costs 3000gp.

So, if I take 2000gp, divide it by 700gp, then multiply by 3000gp, I'd get a price that's the same factor larger as a Dimension Door scroll compared to a Quickened Dimension Door Scroll (though I realize it's not possible to make a quickened scroll.)

That amount comes to 8571gp, which I'd round to 9000gp.

Does that seem reasonable?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
A vanishing weapon lets you teleport 60 ft as a swift action after successful attack, at 8000 gp for 1/day. Doing the same thing without needing an attack would cost something more, I'd think 10-12k.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads