• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help With Magnets

javapadawan

First Post
One of my PCs has asked if he can purchase a magnet about the size of a baseball. My first thought was, Did they have magnets back then? After a little research, I'm still fuzzy on whether or not iron magnets would have been available, but I can see no reason why the PC couldn't find a lodestone for purchase.

But that leaves me with the question of how much attraction would a lodestone the size of a baseball have? How much would it weigh? What would the cost be? I'm rather scientifically inept obviously, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

der_kluge

Adventurer
Yes, lodestones are naturally occuring substances, and can be found near areas of volcanic activity, most commonly.

The cost of such a thing is purely up to you - you're the DM. It's rarity and availability is also up to you.

Yes, I suspect you could find a lodestone the size of a baseball, such a thing would probably be rare, as *I think* lodestones are generall relatively small. I could be wrong on that, the geologists here will have to enlighten us there.

The Chinese developed simple compasses some 4500 years ago using slivers of lodestones resting on the surface tension of water.

javapadawan

First Post
Thanks very much to you both.

I'm going to offer the player an opportunity to purchase a lodestone about the size of a baseball from a dwarven merchant for 50 gold. I'm going with the idea that while lodestones themselves are pretty rare, being found only in volcanic areas, this particular stone is even a bit more rare, due to its unusual size. I'm figuring a weight of about one pound, and the ability of the stone to lift about 10 lbs. Sound reasonable?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads