• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help with Monk/ Druid for Storm King's Thunder

Tranquility Monk/ Moon Druid at level 10?

• Monk 4/ Druid 6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monk 5/ Druid 5

• Monk 6/ Druid 4

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Monk 8/ Druid 2

Racing Breca

Villager
First time thread; thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I am 3 levels into Storm King's Thunder and have built a Ghostwise halfling Monk 1/ Moon Druid 2. My party consists of a gnome mystic (yoda), a gnome barbarian (Lee-Roy Jenkins), a gnome artificer, a dragonborn Paladin, and a Half-Orc Cleric.
My DM has ruled that natural weapons are monk weapons, but that they are not unarmed strikes. My Wisdom does bump my wild shape AC. With these things understood, let's talk about the build.
My rolled stats are very nice. After racial bonuses I've ended up with 18's in both Dex and Wis. A 16 in Con. The rest are 10.
My intention is to try the Way of Tranquility for the RP value of sanctuary at will, and the amazing lay on hands type healing. Way of the open hand still speaks to me though. Battlefield control is really fun.
Knowing that SKT only goes to lvl10, what can I look forward to at the end.
Monk 8/ Druid 2
Monk 6/ Druid 4
Monk 5/ Druid 5
Monk 4/ Druid 6
I'm leaning towards 5/5 to get stunning strike, extra attack and access to level 3 spells. But no magic attack besides spells (call lightning and shillelighe) is a downer.
Please help.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
Monk1/druid9.

That will get you CR3 beasts.

Try to max wis to 20 if able. your dex means nothing in wild shape. wisdom does.

Most beast have multiattack action that does not work with extra attack feature.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Monk1/druid9.
I agree, Monk 1 already gives you the amazing thing, Wis to AC. Take max advantage of that by sticking with druid otherwise.

(If you're looking for combat optimization. If character concept is more important, just build to the concept.)

Racing Breca

Villager
Thanks for the idea.

Looking at the beast list, getting CR3 creatures only adds the Scorpion form, which is actually pretty weak (+4 to hit). Going 9 levels of Druid would give me access to flying creatures, which is an interesting element.

Most creatures with multiattack usually have one strong attack and one weaker attack. Getting to Monk 5 would allow Extra attack to use the stronger attack twice, and be able to use stunning strikes with flurry of blows.

Tranquility Monk specifically will give me access to some very effective (and usable in beast form) healing. At-will sanctuary is pretty sweet too.

For these reasons, I am still undecided.

What other benefits does Monk 1/ Druid 9 provide?

Last night, I had a LOT of fun playing as a Monk Spider inside a cave. The AC bump saved my thorax more than once. Blindsight and dark vision and that stealth! The best part was webbing 2 ogres and making them piñatas for my partymates.

Racing Breca

Villager
It seems as if Moon Druid 10 with Barkskin would be better than Monk1/ Druid 9. If those spells were the target, then Land Druid 10 would be the end goal.

In last night's game, I only cast 1 spell. Detect Magic as a ritual, and to no effect.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm interested in playing a more combat viable Monk/ Druid, and having spells for utility and buffs.

cooperjer

Explorer
In SKT the DM is given the opportunity to put the PCs on an airship and thus gives the DM an opportunity for interesting aerial combat. Think about how you may approach that. In addition, the PCs will potentially be in combat with a lot of giants. In my opinion, it's best to avoid these combats if there is an option to do so, but if not you'll want to be ready to soak a hit from a giant. Finally, I recall that the combat maps were huge. Mobility on the battle field felt very necessary and gave those characters a nice advantage.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
It seems as if Moon Druid 10 with Barkskin would be better than Monk1/ Druid 9. If those spells were the target, then Land Druid 10 would be the end goal.
Not sure I follow that, barkskin requires concentration which is an issue since you'll take damage, but also only gives you AC 15. The monk Wis bonus is +5, in giant snake form you'd be at AC 17, and ankylosaurus AC 20.

In last night's game, I only cast 1 spell. Detect Magic as a ritual, and to no effect.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm interested in playing a more combat viable Monk/ Druid, and having spells for utility and buffs.
If you aren't interested in spells, druid 6 mainly gets you the CR 2 forms, which are pretty good. (Plus primal strike.)

Most of your monk bennies will only work in normal form when you have an unarmed attack. (Unless your DM lets you make unarmed attack in beast form? Maybe I misunderstood.) Extra attack is good, but if you're limited to CR 1 forms, then you'll probably be a bear most of the time and their multiattack is already decent. CR2 + extra attack would be pretty nice for the snake, but that is level 11.

At-will sanctuary doesn't seem like it lines up that well with the tanky combatant emphasis, but if you like the idea, go for it :)

My main point was just that you're getting a significant freebie in your DM's interpretation of the monk AC bonus, if it was me I'd be all about taking maximum advantage of it. But you should absolutely put your character concept ahead of rules optimizations.

Last edited:

Thurmas

Explorer
My vote goes to Shadow Monk 6/Druid 4. This gives you the ability to be a Giant Spider and teleport from dark corner to dark corner.

Maybe not the most effective combat combination, but a teleporting spider is surely my wife's worst nightmare.

Racing Breca

Villager
This is really helpful!

Earthbind and Giant Spider Web attacks are game changers against aerial foes.

Our party doesn't have a diplomatic face, so avoiding combat may come down to stealth instead. Enter Fog.

Mobility is going to be my middle name. I will be taking the Mobility feat with my first ASI, and a +2 Wis with my second.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Remove ads