• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with Monster Advancement Rules

Ryltar

First Post
Hi folks,

in the process of designing an ulitharid LBEG for my current campaign, I hit upon a problem. Here's hoping that some of the knowledgeable ENworlders out there may be able to help me out :):

The Mind Flayer, Ulitharid entry in "Lords of Madness" states that

a) Advancement: by character class and
b) A psionic ulitharid manifests powers as a psion (telepath) of 13th level.

Now, the way I see it, there's two ways to advance this critter:

First, by using the "normal" monster advancement rules, i.e. giving it additional Aberration HD, Skills, Feats etc.

Second, by adding a class level, as recommended. In this case, I'd want to add four to five levels of psion.

Now, the question is this: If I add psion levels, do I use "Psion Level 1-5", or rather "Psion Level 14-18"? Is the mention of it casting at 13th level just there for caster level checks , or does it actually mean that (since it's not psi-like abilities) the ulitharid's abilities will stack with psion levels for determining manifestation abilities, including powers known? OR, does it mean that just the manifester levels stack, but not the Powers Known? This way, the ulitharid would only gain a handful of PP and some low-level powers.

Furthermore, if I advance the creature by class NOT starting at 1st level, how do I determine feats?

I hope the question isn't as confusing as I think it's looking right now :). I've searched the SRD, but couldn't find a clear reference in the Monster Advancement section. Then again, I might just have overlooked something. :uhoh:

Any takers?

His advancement is by character class. Accordingly, a "normal" ulitharid will never gain aberration HD, BAB advancement, etc. He has to go by class.

Using the example of dragons, should you give the ulitharid psion levels, he would manifest as a psion of level equal to 13 + class levels.

If you advance the creature by class when it's already got racial hit dice, the only thing that particularly changes is how you handle level 1. He does not gain a 1st-level starting feat, as he's already got it by having 1 monster HD. Additionally, he doesn't get 4x skill points for his first class level - those have already been accounted for, too. To determine feats and ability bonuses, he gets one at every 3rd hit die and 4th hit die, respectively.

For example, take a 3 HD creature that takes a level in Wizard. Since he is now a 4 HD creature, he gains one ability point. He gains the normal bonuses associated with taking a level in Wizard (2+Int mod skill points, +2 Will saves, spellcasting level, etc.). His skill points are not multiplied by 4, however. He does gain the ability to call a familiar, as well.

Ryltar

First Post
Thanks a lot, Patryn :). That was really helpful.

Just for clarification purposes: The ulitharid would gain all the benefits of a 1st level psion, including "powers known" and power points (but excluding starting skill multiplier and starting feats). It would manifest as a 14th level psion, though, which would be relevant for caster level checks only.

Right?

Silveras

First Post
As I read the entry, I agree with Patryn. It would be my understanding that the Ulitharid's powers as described are the monster with 13 "virtual" Psion levels. Adding the first class level would be adding the 14th level - hp, BAB, power points, manifester level, powers known, etc. The Ulitharid is 12 HD at base, so s/he "already got" the base Feat and ability advancement for that level. Adding 1 level of Psion would give:

BAB +0, 1d4+3 (Con) hp, +0 Fort, +0 Ref, +2 Will, 1 Bonus Feat {all from Psion 1}

It already has the power points (179 = 147 (base 13th Psion) + 32 (Int 21)), powers known (25, as listed), and maximum power level (7th) of a Psion 13. Adding 1 level (14th) increases its Power Points to 205 (170 (base) + 35 (Int 21)), Known Powers from 25 to 27, and its maximum power level remains 7th. So pick 2 more powers, and you should be all set.

Its manifester level is now 14, for purposes of power penetration, range, duration, area of effect, and all other level-based details of how any particular power works.

Ryltar

First Post
Thanks :) that's the way I advanced him, because just giving him 1st level psion abilities seemed weak. Now, the baddie has 4 additional psion levels, and a whopping 301 power points. Can't wait to spring this one on my players.

Remove ads