• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with Monstrous Races

papa_laz

First Post
Hi all,

I'm planning on running a campaign in which the PC's will all be monstrous races such as bugbears or gnolls. I have a copy of Savage Species, which is a great read, but I find the rules on creating level advancement tables to be quite confusing, and I was wondering if there was anywhere online I could get a comprehensive list of level advancement tables for monstrous creatures. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Arkhandus

First Post
Huh? Do you mean for creatures that aren't already given a level advancement setup in Savage Species? The majority of potentially-playable monsters from the Monster Manual are already given a progression in Savage Species.

I don't think you'll find anything detailing monstrous level progression for several creatures out of other books or for additional ones out of the Monster Manual. It's a lot of work to do.

You'll probably be able to find a rare few custom Savage-Species-style monstrous progressions here and there, but not very many I'd think. The concept is fairly simple, but it takes time to split up a monster's stats and stuff into such an advancement.

Just make sure to check the 3.5 versions of the monsters in Savage Species and tweak their progressions appropriately, since Savage Species came out just before the 3.5 revision was done.

If you're really just looking for a few particular monsters to get an SS-like progression, you should ask on the D&D Rules or Houserules forums for someone to do that for the specific monsters you request. There's no guarantee they'll do it, but someone might.

Also, there's a thread in the Plots, Places, and Rogues forum where one guy is taking requests for stuff people would like statted out, generally NPCs and such. It's possible you might get help from him if you request a specific monster to get a Savage Species progression.

XCorvis

First Post
moritheil said:
Where possible I just use ECL rules (HD + LA = effective char level).
Ditto. Just start them at 4th level, then you can ignore the progressions completely. The progressions are only there so that you can play the monster races at levels lower than their ECL. Once you get higher you're just effectively playing the monster as written in the MM.

Remove ads