• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Help with my Drow Swashbuckler (3.5)

parinho7

First Post
This is my character:
DROW SWASHBUCKLER(4)

STR 14 +2 HP 30 FORT +1 +4 |+5
DEX 20 +5 AC 18 (19) REF +5 +1 (+1) |+6 (+7)
CON 13 +1 INIT +5 WILL -1 +1 (+2) |+0 (+2)
INT 17 +3 BAB +4
WIS 9 -1 SR 15
CHA 14 +2 SPEED 30 ft.
ALIGNMENT E

ATTACK
Masterwork Rapier +10 1d6 + 5 18-20/x2

ARMOR/ITEMS
Masterwork Studded Leather +3 +5 -0

SKILLS
Balance +5 +7 +2 |+14
Bluff +2 +7 |+9
Climb +2 |+2
Diplomacy +2 +4 |+6
Escape Artist +5 +7 |+12
Jump +2 +7 +2 |+11
Sense Motive -1 +6 |+5
Swim +2 |+2
Tumble +5 +7 +2 |+14
Use Rope +5 +2 |+7
Perform +2 +3 |+5

LANGUAGES
Common, Elven, Undercommon

FEATS
Dodge
Deadly Defense

SKILL TRICKS
Extreme Leap

RACIAL TRAITS
Darkvision 120 ft.
+2 on Will saves against spell and spell-like abilities

SPELL-LIKE ABILITIES
dancing lights (1/day)
darkness (1/day)
faerie fire (1/day)

CLASS FEATURES
Weapon Finesse
Grace +1
Insightful Strike

WEALTH
Platinum
Gold 3715
Silver
Copper

I want ways to improve my AC at my current level, so I basically want suggestions on equipment. As you can see I have 3715gp to spend and I have the option to sell my current equipment at it's original price. I am planning to fight defensively most of the time, and at level 7 became a duelist so I prefer the suggested items be useful when I became a duelist so no heavy armor or shields ect. Thanks in advance.

udalrich

First Post
I'd swap the studded leather armor for a mithral chainshirt. That gives 4 AC with a max dex bonus of +6. That leaves a little bit under 3k left.

A +1 Amulet of Natural armor is 1k, and making the chain shirt +1 is another 1k.

I think I remember that Swashbucklers can't use shields. If I'm wrong, a shield would give another 1-2 points of AC and use most of the remaining money. If you're just not proficient, a mithral buckler has no armor check penalty, so you can use it and take a +0 penalty on several rolls.

If the buckler is out, the Magic Item Compendium probably has something useful, but I don't have it, so you'll have to check that yourself.

Beyond that, potions of Cat's Grace or Barkskin (300 gp each) will temporarily give you another +1 AC. Cat's Grace normally gives +2 to AC, but your hitting the limit of the chain shirt. (With the studded leather, you wouldn't get anything.) Similarly, Barkskin normally gives a +2, but it overlaps with the +1 from the amulet.

Dragonnety

First Post
I would suggest a Healing Belt (MIC pg 110). for only 750 gp you get a life-saver. It may not improve your AC but it can save your life.

Dandu

First Post
I feel obligated to inform you that your character build is deeply suboptimal. Duelist is a poor prestige class and you're just not going to hit anything if you fight defensively all the time. That makes piddling bonus damage from Deadly Defense useless. Unless you play in a group with a spring attack monk, a CW Samurai, Truenamer, and Healer you're going to have problems keeping up.

You'd get more out of your character as a Swashbuckler3/RogueX with Daring Outlaw.

I don't have much advice for purely martial characters, as most means of AC optimization involve spells that you won't be able to cast and can't replicate with magical items for some time.

I'd strongly recommend Combat Expertise instead of Dodge, though. Combat Expertise at least synergizes with Deadly Defense, as per the description of the feat. Plus, Combat Expertise is the prerequisite for several useful feats, while Dodge... ok, Spring Attack is a decent feat, but you have to take two really bad feats to get it, and it's not worth it.

Spend 1000 gp on a Amulet of Natural Armor and 2000 gp on a Ring of Protection. Don't waste time on potions; they're overpriced. The Healing Belt is a great suggestion, though, and you should definitely buy one.

You should be able to afford the above equipment if you followed the suggestion about redoing your armor selection.

Don't forget to pick up a pair of sunglasses.

YEEEEAH!!!

Last edited:

parinho7

First Post
I know that the character is not good but its my dms decision, I can only have a drow swashbuckler adding only one prestige class.

Dandu

First Post
So no multiclassing?

Still, we can do better than Duelist. Assassin, for example, if we're limiting this to core prestige classes.

Heck, if I'm not mistaken, you might be better off as a straight Swashbuckler than taking levels in Duelist.

In fact... check out the tier system for prestige classes.

The Duelist is a -2 tier prestige class.

The explanation thread for the -2 tier prestige classes can be found here and has this to say on the Duelist:
A note on the Duelist: The duelist was basically converted into the Swashbuckler Base Class anyway. And no one takes that past 3 levels. It's not a surprise... -Generic_PC

Logical Entry:

Cons: It forces you into a horrible fighting style, using only a single light or one handed piercing weapon with nothing in your offhand. Precise strike gives you pathetic damage, peaking a 2d6 damage at level 10. Dodge and mobility are generally subpar feats. Canny defense and elaboate parry just stink since they depend on how many levels of duelist you have. Grace requires you to not wear armor or have a shield. -Ninjarabbit

Pros: Improved reaction is the only good class feature since initative is always good. You also get full BAB, d10 hit dice, and 4 skill points/level. -Ninjarabbit

Last edited:

Animal

First Post
don't touch the Duelist PrC!
stop taking swashbuckler levels.
multiclass to rogue and take Daring Outlaw feat. if no multiclassing allowed, maybe try meeting the prereq's for the Streetfighter (CAdv) and then jump to Scarlet Corsair (SW).
(maybe try a different DM. this one seems weird.)

parinho7

First Post
thanks for the answers but i can't stop taking swashbuckler levels, my dm doesn't allow that. I tryed very hard even to make him let me take the duelist prc. and i don't understand why are you against that desicion? my party won't be more overpowered than me, the dm will not allow that and i will be the only one that by level 18 i can have AC 45. i know that powergaming builds can have more than that but i have restrictions from my dm and i think 45 is very good for a normal difficulty campaign. plus i have sr witch is good, i'll concentrate on movement to make flanking benefits and i can survive by escaping more easily than the other players.

Dandu

First Post
It is easy to get AC 45.

Casters can do it with a few spells.

Fighters go for +5 Full Plate for AC 23.

+1 from an Ioun Stone, +5 Ring of Protection, +5 Amulet of Natural Armor, that gives AC 34.

Combat Expertise for AC 39

Use a +5 Defending weapon for AC 44.

Use an Animated +5 Heavy Steel Shield for AC 51, if I've done my math right.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads