• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with newborn child

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Wouldn't this defeat the purpose of playing a mother raising a child

I don't know that there's one "the purpose" for playing a mother raising a child. You'd probably need to ask the OP what the purpose is in this case.

But, that frames the following question well - is the player's purpose in this compatible with the purposes of others playing at the table?

I don't know how much of the purpose is to actually play raising a child - that is a very long, very slow set of processes, for which we have few mechanics in the game. Raising a kid takes years, but our rules are for rounds :)

I would suspect, "play a character with a major obligation that constrains their action," or "play a character with an important emotional bond unrelated to adventuring" are likely purposes. These are not necessarily at odds with having the kid removed from the action, or transformed after a little while. After "protect the baby" gets old, that baby isn't really helping the story develop. The issue becomes a constant, not evolving much on the timescale of adventures.

See, for example, romances in most fantasy stories. Stable, healthy relationships are generally avoided in long-term stories, mostly because they aren't dynamic story elements. Meaning, basically, they are boring. :) Eventually, stable romances need to be shaken up to be lively elements. We should expect the same for the baby.

I don't know that there's one "the purpose" for playing a mother raising a child. You'd probably need to ask the OP what the purpose is in this case.

But, that frames the following question well - is the player's purpose in this compatible with the purposes of others playing at the table?

I don't know how much of the purpose is to actually play raising a child - that is a very long, very slow set of processes, for which we have few mechanics in the game. Raising a kid takes years, but our rules are for rounds :)

I would suspect, "play a character with a major obligation that constrains their action," or "play a character with an important emotional bond unrelated to adventuring" are likely purposes. These are not necessarily at odds with having the kid removed from the action, or transformed after a little while. After "protect the baby" gets old, that baby isn't really helping the story develop. The issue becomes a constant, not evolving much on the timescale of adventures.

See, for example, romances in most fantasy stories. Stable, healthy relationships are generally avoided in long-term stories, mostly because they aren't dynamic story elements. Meaning, basically, they are boring. :) Eventually, stable romances need to be shaken up to be lively elements. We should expect the same for the baby.

The purpose would to add some different flare, challenges and role play to a new game.

The compatibility is what i'll be worried about with the other players, but I hope it will prove interesting for the other players and the DM.

Yeah it takes years to raise a child, but my DM says it will age twice as fast (Half-fey) and travel time will take up quite a bit of that time, the world we play in is large and low magic, so no taxi teleport circles :p

I'd like my character to have some bond to something; as the DM likes to add horror elements into games and I enjoy it when he does, getting attached to something, as in your own daughter, you'd stop at nothing to get it back which could prove interesting in a fantasy world with all different types of creatures... and yeah you get the idea.

And your romance example, it comes down to the DM to break up these boring relationships throwing something into the mix to spice it up. Succubus being introduced into a couple that would do anything for each other, that everlasting relationship can turn into a disaster in a few rounds. So yes, I agree with what you say and I'm looking forward to playing this concept.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads