• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

help with scout character

Havlo

First Post
I am playing a level 9 scout who is more of an outdoorsy, tracker type (no trap skills, replaced trapfinding with track feat) and is the silent man of action type. He has been captured by the enemy and severely tortured for information (according to the DM, he was tortured to death, raised, tortured again, etc.). Now he is set to be rescued by the party. I want to portray him as more paranoid/untrusting and more feral than he used to be, due to the extreme torture he endured. How can I represent this? I thought about adding the feral template from Savage Species, but am not sure if I like the idea of the natural attacks (I am considering it though, he was an archer and I have been wanting to switch him over to a melee fighter). My other ideas were taking a level of barbarian (mostly for the roleplaying and rage), or just doing it all through straight role-playing. You guys have any suggestions, or has someone done something similar with a character?

The_Gneech

Explorer
Havlo said:
I am playing a level 9 scout who is more of an outdoorsy, tracker type (no trap skills, replaced trapfinding with track feat) and is the silent man of action type. He has been captured by the enemy and severely tortured for information (according to the DM, he was tortured to death, raised, tortured again, etc.). Now he is set to be rescued by the party. I want to portray him as more paranoid/untrusting and more feral than he used to be, due to the extreme torture he endured. How can I represent this? I thought about adding the feral template from Savage Species, but am not sure if I like the idea of the natural attacks (I am considering it though, he was an archer and I have been wanting to switch him over to a melee fighter). My other ideas were taking a level of barbarian (mostly for the roleplaying and rage), or just doing it all through straight role-playing. You guys have any suggestions, or has someone done something similar with a character?

Track is a bonus feat for Scouts, why replace Trapfinding with it?

Other than that, I'd go with the barbarian level as you mention, and do the rest through RP.

-The Gneech :cool:

rom90125

Banned
Banned
I ran a Litorian (lion-people) Scout who had natural attacks and the Pounce feat. It was quite dramatic at times when my char would pouce on an opponent with my claws(Pouce = full movement and full attack) and get skirmish damage in addition. And with Improved Natural Attack and other feats, his natural attacks were boosted.

He was easily my most favorite character in years...

Darthjaye

First Post
Well if your human you can use the extra feat to start with tracking anyways. Take a look at the Tempest from Complete Adventurer as well. If you gonna go with a HtH scout, it's a good one to use while on the run. If you want to maximize his mobile effectiveness then get ahold of PHB 2 and use Bounding Attack (I think that's it's name) as well and by 5th level of Tempest you would have 3 attacks while moving your full move. I would take Improved Trip and the like as well. There's nothing quite like running up, dropping him to the ground, whacking him two or three times and retreating back. All while provoking not a single AoO from him.

Remove ads