• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help with Transmuter/Elemental Savant Spell list

Forlorn

First Post
Hello all,
I just made a new character for our game, he is a 7th level Mountain Dward (+2 con, -2 wis) with 5 levels of Transmuter (No Enchantment or Illusions) and 2 levels of Elemental Savant (Earth) The Feats he has are Quicken Spell, Energy Substitution, Spell Focus (Trans) and Improved Familiar. Int 17

What I would like help with from all of you is some good spell combinations. He has, due to his nature, a preference for spells that work well with the element of earth.

Right now one combo I have for him is casting Fox's Cunning in the morning before he memorizes spells, this gives him at least one extra 4th level spell which he uses to get Rary's Nmenonic Enhancer. He then uses Rary's to get an additional Mage Armor and Fox's Cunning. Doing this he end's up with mage armor 14 hours out of the day and fox's cunning 14 hours a day.

What other fun combo's do people have? Please, nothing that requires the Forgotten Realms books as we are playing in Kalamar and my DM (and I for that matter) doesn't like FR.

Thanks,

Veldrane

First Post
I'm sorry but Fox Cunning (as well as Eagle and Owl) does not allow the stat enhancement to affect bonus spells... ...so the Fox can be used to enhance the DC of your spells, but not to gain additional spells due to high Int...

Forlorn

First Post
Damn, and there I thought I had a good thing going on. Though my DM already approved that so I may have to check with him to see if its a house rule of his.

bret

First Post
Here are some suggestions for such a character:

I would have waited until your 9th level feat before taking the Quicken metamagic feat. You do need a MMF in order to qualify for Elemental Savant, but you may want to look at if there is a different one you could make more use of. Extend Spell (for your enhancers and such) or Silent Spell (for casting Summoning spells while Invisible) might be good alternate choices.

Since you've qualified for Elemental Savant, you must already know the Terran language. Tough to make friendly contact if you can't even talk to them. You might also want to pick up Undercommon.

Hopefully you are taking some Knowledge: Arch & Engineering along with Craft: Stone mason for the day you get the Wall of Stone spell. Not strictly necessary, but it could help if you like to build more complicated structures.

Have you considered the Augment Summoning feat (from Tome & Blood) in order to get better elementals?

Stinking Cloud combined with summoned Earth Elementals can be effective. Elementals are immune to poison, so I think they are immune to this effect.

Dwarmaj

First Post
Transmuters are nice but...

Why not take advantage of the benifits of being an Elemental Savant? The class gives you increased Elemental Focus and Penetration which stacks with Spell Focus/Penetration and Greater Spell Focus/Penetration.

Load up on Evocation spells and use your Energy Substitution to make them Acid (for Earth Savants) spells. You'll then have a much better chance to affect your targets.

Dwarmaj

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads