• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Helpful advice on how to develop new chars.

Tharivious

First Post
Zeren said:
If you want a good suggestion though...be stereotypical. >snip< You start off with a stereotype and build upon it.
For all of the talk that goes around when it comes to concepts about 'originality', it's this sort of advice that always rings true to me. All too often, I've seen 'originality' interpretted as 'against stereotype', usually in reference to turning an evil race into a good aligned character (yes, this includes many of those endless good-aligned drow that have gone through the ISRP cyberdoors). Stereotypes do exist for a reason: to give a standard baseline for what you should probably expect from any given race.

But the number one rule of all is never let others influence your choices.
Never say never. The world is a mutable thing. Generally, a player has an idea of how they want their character to be received, and whether consciously or unconsciously, they will shape their character into that desired mold based upon past perceptions of how others reacted to similar ideas. It's human nature to try to play to your intended demographic - characters that want to be likeable will try to be outgoing, while characters who want to be villains will be shaped to draw a reaction out of 'hero' types. And as stated above, as your character interacts with other characters, they will change, and they will be influenced by others in one way or another, otherwise, they become a static, unaffectable thing that gets as boring to play as they can be to interact with. Whether they're influenced in the positive or negative aspect all depends on the character, though.

Zeren

First Post
Tharivious said:
Never say never. The world is a mutable thing. Generally, a player has an idea of how they want their character to be received, and whether consciously or unconsciously, they will shape their character into that desired mold based upon past perceptions of how others reacted to similar ideas. It's human nature to try to play to your intended demographic - characters that want to be likeable will try to be outgoing, while characters who want to be villains will be shaped to draw a reaction out of 'hero' types. And as stated above, as your character interacts with other characters, they will change, and they will be influenced by others in one way or another, otherwise, they become a static, unaffectable thing that gets as boring to play as they can be to interact with. Whether they're influenced in the positive or negative aspect all depends on the character, though.

Hmm, I think you misunderstood me, chap. I meant YOU as in the player dealing with other players. Don't let other players tell you how to play. But by all means, let your character be molded by other characters. We all have have heroes and influences in real-life, why wouldn't your character be changed by another character's actions.

Tharivious

First Post
Zeren said:
Hmm, I think you misunderstood me, chap. I meant YOU as in the player dealing with other players. Don't let other players tell you how to play. But by all means, let your character be molded by other characters. We all have have heroes and influences in real-life, why wouldn't your character be changed by another character's actions.
And that part of what I said was just an afterthought to the rest. I tend to ramble, getting on in the years, you see. :p

My point was, it's natural that - by intent, or by accident - the opinions of others are easily impressed on anyone. It's basic psychological conditioning, if we see something that seems to lead to a desired result for someone else, we'll take a variation of that course of action to get ourselves to the same end-goal.

I cannot offer any advice at all. For some reason, names and characters, and personalities and all the jazz just comes to me at random times. I'll be sitting in English class when all of a sudden "Aha! I know who my next character is!" the same happens to me with a lot of things... All of my characters names besides D's was made by me on the spot and the class and personality and plot are all come up randomly, usually without any conscious thought on anything to do with characters at the time. *waves to Itzquahpilli/Justin as a Darth Vader voice comes on* "Itzquahpilli...*intake of breath* I am your father." *dramatic music* Anyway, sorry but I can't help ya :(

Drindin

First Post
All of my characters are some extension of a small fragment of me (much like a Psion's psicrystal in DND is an extension of a fragment of the psion).
Before starting to use a character, I like to think about the Major information on where that character came from, major events that shaped him or her to where he or she is today. My warlock's pact with a devil, Eliza's traumatizing experience as a young woman, Kraggar's Tribe's dark rituals. All of these things help me to solidify how my character reacts in certain situations. At times, when I don't have such a framework, my character will catastrophicaly fail as a character. Case in point, my 'paladin' Gerald the Bold, who I back-benched because I had no clear idea where he was coming from, and thus his reactions became extreme and purposeless.

The smaller details on my characters backgrounds I usually fill in as I play, but I always make sure that when I say something about his background, I note it in my characters Text Document that I keep on my compy containing his description, in case he is asked about it again so that I can keep some continuity with him as I play.

Cyath

First Post
Thanks everyone : ) I am really happy to have such a response . Its not just for me , but I have a few friends who are struggling as well with designing a new char , so thank you so very much ! .
Anyways for myself , I will definately review all the posts multiple times and hopefully I can develop a char I can learn to love . Primarily , Cyath and Byron_Anthony are characters that have been molded upon specific characteristics of myself , so now I am trying to develop a character that is opposite in everything that I am . More importantly , like everyone else , I want a char I can learn to love , like Cyath and Byron .
Perhaps a clean break from vampires will do me some good , though sometimes I can't help myself !
Anyways , thanks a bunch for all the supportive opinions . Thank you as well for taking the time to reply . :)

Who knows ...perhaps a character is right around the cornor . ;)

Sienna_Rose

First Post
Aww, no wrapping up. I wanted to comment.
Well, okay, so, I don't have much really to add that others haven't already said.
My characters, a lot of the time, spring fully formed into my head (when I say "fully formed" I don't mean that they'll never evolve and change, but, I mean, ready to play). A lot of times, it's a random inspiration. Helping a friend find a name for their new char, I find a name that rings bells. A picture that's on the wall where I sit when I play D&D has inspired me with a char, that I may never actually create, 'cause I just can't play evil.
Looking around is good - I was designing a world, and needed a name for a nomadic tribe, and saw the wrapper to a certain type of candy, the nomads were named the Reesal. (I'll let you guess the candy)
Once the character pops into my head, I generally have to play him or her (don't have any 'it's yet, but, that may happen). So, I will likely end up trying to play that evil one. . .
Sometimes, people created just for background end up being fun characters - like Meliki and Leesa, who were just there to flesh out the costume shop at the Cat. (Yes, it's me! Hiya!)

But, as this thread demonstrates, everyone has their own style and inspirations. Develop a back ground, go for unique, use a stereo type. . . It's all good.

If someone is stuck, and doesn't have a brain full of people looking to get out, I suggest reading or rolling up a char. Or both. Start with a stereo type just to have a starting point - that is, if inspiration for something else doesn't strike.
As stated many times, the important thing is to have fun.

Basically, my characters are who we can't be in rl. What I mean by that is: my chars can act however they so choose, without having rl issues with society. Society as a whole, especially in the States, doesn't believe in polyamory or polygany. Sky was my first character EVER, be it here or tabletop. 'Round about the time I discovered ISRP, I was taking a sociology class. Sky and ISRP soon became a sort of sociology project for me. And my catch phrase is usually "See, what had happened was..." Sociology pushed me into this a little. Then, soon after, my now ex-husband was doing an English paper on DnD, which spawned me to see how the ISRP society could influence people in rl, and vice versa. So, my excuse for Sky is: College made me do it!

After that, Sky, Kheeli, and Noni turned into a reflection of sorts...pushing the envelope of being therapeutic...a method of facing my life...but that's for another thread.

Elf_Ariel

First Post
Hmmm I just thought of another bit to add, since it's one of my biggest hurdles when I'm creating my characters. Names, I'm absolutely appalling at generating them entirely in my head. Naming a character can be hard or easy, depending on their background race and whatever else you wanted to factor into it. I've looked around at the various name generators online and by far my favourite is: Rinkworks Namegen. The reason, yes it will randomise names for you, based on a variety of preset values, if you're feeling lazy, or you can design your own template to get names that sound exactly how you want them. Sure, it takes a bit of learning how to use, and getting used to, but I find it worth it. Mind you, obviously I didn't use it at the time of making Ariel...that's besides the point.

MistyThorin

First Post
Elf_Ariel said:
Hmmm I just thought of another bit to add, since it's one of my biggest hurdles when I'm creating my characters. Names, I'm absolutely appalling at generating them entirely in my head. Naming a character can be hard or easy, depending on their background race and whatever else you wanted to factor into it.

Heh. When I get stuck I go to http://www.babynames.com/ and start poking around for name ideas.

Remove ads