• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Helping a player

0bsolete

First Post
A player of mine is interested in playing a monk, but the medium BAB progression is kinda kicking him.

Is there a class or variant out there that goes with the unarmed focus of the monk, but has a full BAB progression. If not, what can be done to increase his chances of hitting at all.

Rackhir

Explorer
Three quarter's BAB shouldn't be crippling his combat ability. More likely he doesn't have enough high stats to make the character effective. Monks with their multiple stat dependencies, generally need a couple high stats to be as effective as other classes with a single high stat.

So I'd look into some stat booster items first.

There also the amulet of mighty fists which give a +1 to +5 enhancement bonus for unarmed strikes. It's horribly over priced though, at 3 times the price of an equivalent magic weapon (6k for a +1 vs 2k for a +1 weapon, 24k for a +2 vs 8k). I'd cut it down to at least the same price as a weapon personally, if not less (don't need a MW weapon after all).

He can use the monk weapons which can be enchanted as any other weapon can be.

Slaved

First Post
Using a Warblade with Superior Unarmed Strike and Tiger Claw Maneuvers can do a good job.

A Monk gets a lot of attacks though which makes up for the loss in Base Attack Bonus.

If more Base Attack Bonus is required though taking the Monk through the Warmind Prestige Class with the feat Tashalatora from Secrets of Sarlona can be an incredibly powerful choice!

0bsolete

First Post
Rackhir said:
Three quarter's BAB shouldn't be crippling his combat ability. More likely he doesn't have enough high stats to make the character effective. Monks with their multiple stat dependencies, generally need a couple high stats to be as effective as other classes with a single high stat.

So I'd look into some stat booster items first.

There also the amulet of mighty fists which give a +1 to +5 enhancement bonus for unarmed strikes. It's horribly over priced though, at 3 times the price of an equivalent magic weapon (6k for a +1 vs 2k for a +1 weapon, 24k for a +2 vs 8k). I'd cut it down to at least the same price as a weapon personally, if not less (don't need a MW weapon after all).

He can use the monk weapons which can be enchanted as any other weapon can be.

As a DM I don't allow the buying of permanent stat boosting items. Mostly this is due to my belief that such items should be reserved as "Special loot" In most fights in 3.x you get a magic item if your party is past level 10, and to me seeing the party groan and say "Oh, its just another pair of +4 gloves of dexterity" kinda makes me shudder. But thats a personal thing. I seem to remember many +x to strength-esque items which were the entire focus of a mythological character. Can't think of any off the top of my head, but basically the hero or villain with super strength, endurance, yada yada.Though the gloves idea is a good one and I will discuss it with him.

Also, I know for a fact that doing 1D3 damage at a full BAB won't fly with him. He want a monk feel to his character, he just doesn't want to miss constantly.

Any feats, variant abilities, or items which could give him a bit of a boost to his chance to actually hit?

0bsolete

First Post
-winces- I might have to do that. I try to avoid house ruling a boost to anything. One of my players is a powergamer whom I have gotten into many fights with. Any leeway I give to him I end up regretting, and any leeway I give to another player results in him wanting something extra or a fight usually ensures. Though I might be able to keep it on my side of the GM screen and have no real problems with it.

Last edited:

Slaved

First Post
With my Warmind suggestion above the character will wind up with at least 17 Base Attack Bonus at level 20. That is very close to full Base Attack Bonus!

It will also give him a big bonus to Strength and Armor Class along with the ability to hit multiple foes with each swing!

Having a base attack routine at level 20 of +17/+17/+17/+12/+7/+2 from Base Attack Bonus and Greater Flurry alone should be very impressive!

Taking Shape Soulmeld from Magic of Incarnum for Lucky Dice can improve Attack Bonus and Damage at the same time.

With Offensive Precognition he can make his Attack Bonus high enough to make anyone shy of a Problem Player happy! :cool:

0bsolete

First Post
Slaved said:
With my Warmind suggestion above the character will wind up with at least 17 Base Attack Bonus at level 20. That is very close to full Base Attack Bonus!

It will also give him a big bonus to Strength and Armor Class along with the ability to hit multiple foes with each swing!

Having a base attack routine at level 20 of +17/+17/+17/+12/+7/+2 from Base Attack Bonus and Greater Flurry alone should be very impressive!

Taking Shape Soulmeld from Magic of Incarnum for Lucky Dice can improve Attack Bonus and Damage at the same time.

With Offensive Precognition he can make his Attack Bonus high enough to make anyone shy of a Problem Player happy! :cool:

Talked to him about your idea , he said no. He wants something that is intended to be monkish.

Remove ads