D&D 3E/3.5 Helping Boz with CC 3.5: Converting Dragons.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, methinks it was the basis for the prismatic dragon. The ELH took alot of existing creatures and magnified them to epic levels.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
the basis for the ELH prismatic dragon was probably the prismatic dragon found in MC Annual 4. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
the basis for the ELH prismatic dragon was probably the prismatic dragon found in MC Annual 4. ;)

Nah, that's just crazy-talk. ;)

Perhaps the rainbow dragon was the basis for the MC4 prismatic dragon which begat the ELH version?

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
Nah, that's just crazy-talk. ;)

Perhaps the rainbow dragon was the basis for the MC4 prismatic dragon which begat the ELH version?
This is what I think, as there are way to many similarities between the two to make me comfortable continuing the conversion, I am afraid that the result would end up looking like a watered down prismatic.

If anyone has any other request, feel free to voice them. I am also looking for the 2E stats for the ferrous dragons if anyone has them. If you don't have the ability to post them here for whatever reason, my email is: Krishnath dot Dragon (at) gmail dot com ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Krishnath said:
If anyone has any other request, feel free to voice them. I am also looking for the 2E stats for the ferrous dragons if anyone has them. If you don't have the ability to post them here for whatever reason, my email is: Krishnath dot Dragon (at) gmail dot com ;)

You might want to wait on the ferrous dragons. I've got a query in to Dragon on 'em for one of our "group projects", and it hasn't been rejected yet. I've got a few of 'em in various stages of conversion, as well as the big guy, Gruaghlothor. If you wanna convert 'em, feel free to do so, but we may end up doing 'em again should the query be accepted.

The night dragon has been requested a few times.

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
You might want to wait on the ferrous dragons. I've got a query in to Dragon on 'em for one of our "group projects", and it hasn't been rejected yet. I've got a few of 'em in various stages of conversion, as well as the big guy, Gruaghlothor. If you wanna convert 'em, feel free to do so, but we may end up doing 'em again should the query be accepted.

The night dragon has been requested a few times.

Only problem with the night dragon is that it is infact an undead, and not a living dragon, thus it lacks age categories. But I have explained this before elsewhere the last three times people have requested it. :D

Btw, regarding your conversions of the Ferrous Dragons, here are some tips.

Their second edition stats are those for a juvenile dragon, to convert it's HD to 3.5, simply add one HD and star with juvenile, substracting 3HD for each category below juvenile (i.e, a young dragons HD would be Juvenile-3, while wyrmlings would be HD-9), of course, you have to make sure that the wyrmling starts with at least one HD. ;) , then for each age category above juvenile you add 3 HD, use the table on page 5 of MM2 to determine the size of each age category, and to determine the starting physical ability scores at each size. Remeber that dex is always 10, regardless of the size of the dragon. :D Breathweapons are usually easy, but try to port them over to enery types if you can get away with it, this is a balance issue. Good luck, you'll need it. :D

Any other dragon someone wants converted?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Krishnath said:
Only problem with the night dragon is that it is infact an undead, and not a living dragon, thus it lacks age categories. But I have explained this before elsewhere the last three times people have requested it. :D

Sorry about that. The hazards of thread-skimming.

Krishnath said:
Btw, regarding your conversions of the Ferrous Dragons, here are some tips.

Their second edition stats are those for a juvenile dragon, to convert it's HD to 3.5, simply add one HD and star with juvenile, substracting 3HD for each category below juvenile (i.e, a young dragons HD would be Juvenile-3, while wyrmlings would be HD-9), of course, you have to make sure that the wyrmling starts with at least one HD. ;) , then for each age category above juvenile you add 3 HD, use the table on page 5 of MM2 to determine the size of each age category, and to determine the starting physical ability scores at each size. Remeber that dex is always 10, regardless of the size of the dragon. :D Breathweapons are usually easy, but try to port them over to enery types if you can get away with it, this is a balance issue. Good luck, you'll need it. :D

Thanks for all the tips. If Dragon accepts the query, we'll do it as a group project here on the boards. If they don't, I'll probably turn 'em back over to you. ;)

Krishnath

First Post
BOZ said:
i thought night dragon was an aka for dracolich?
There are some differences, the Night Dragon is made up mostly of shadowstuff and has more in common with a ghost than a dracolich. It is quite impossible to kill unless appased (sp?) (which the Cult of the Dragon in the Forgotten Realms managed to do with the Night Dragon of that setting). Night Dragons are usually found as guardians of Dragon Graveyards. And are usually from Shadow Dragon stock.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Wasn't the Mystaran night dragon different? I seem to recall it was more tied to Entropy than undeath or shadow. I could be wrong, though.

Remove ads