• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Herbalism and Alchemy

igavskoga

First Post
In my never ending search for bigger and better rules, I find myself on the lookout for a more in-depth crafting system for d20.

While I'm more or less fine with tweaking the crafting system, as is, if anybody can point me in the direction of some good recommendations (even from other systems at this point -- if its good enough I'll convert) I would really appreciate it.

Beyond the system as a whole, what I'm really interested in are alternate (or at least expanded) systems covering Herbalism and Alchemy. I'd like for them to play a larger role in the game I'm preparing as expendable magical items will be scarce.

That being said, I'd like to stray as far away as possible from things that are Magic, with the Magic label scraped off and the word "Herbalism" or "Alchemy" scribbled in its place.

Websites, books, PDF's, homebrew or official -- any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Committed Hero

Adventurer
A lot depends on what you want these things to do. The reason a lot of systems are interchangeable with magic is because that becomes their basic role.

Aus_Snow

First Post
You might want to check out Alchemy & Herbalists, and possibly Occult Lore, and in the meantime I will try to recall something more precisely fitting the criteria given. I'm pretty sure there is a book, or PDF. That does, I mean. Perhaps someone else will refer to it first. . .

igavskoga

First Post
Alchemy and Herbalists I've looked through, as have a few of my players -- none of them were thrilled, unfortunately. Occult Lore I'll have to check out, though.

igavskoga

First Post
Checked out Conan a bit too, didn't find much of note, unfortunately.

Small update, if anybody's interested one of my players and I have hit upon a bit of inspiration for revamping the crafting system. Once its in a presentable format (week or so maybe, depending on scheduling), I am thinking about posting it up here for some feedback.

EDIT: BTW, much thanks Aus Snow, the main spark came from one of the Appendices in the back of Occult Lore, which I wouldn't have even flipped through without your suggestion. :cool:

Aus_Snow

First Post
igavskoga said:
BTW, much thanks Aus Snow, the main spark came from one of the Appendices in the back of Occult Lore, which I wouldn't have even flipped through without your suggestion. :cool:
Cool! Glad that helped, even a bit. :)

I still can't think of that thing I was trying to think of. Too many books and PDFs, I suspect. But I'm definitely interested in seeing a new way of approaching skills, and ones such as Craft in particular. So, guess I'll keep an eye out for the House Rules section sometime soonish?

Remove ads