• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Here are the missing rules from KotS

Kitsune

Explorer
These are things that DMs will need to know for the module, but were left out from the rules in the module.

Immediate Reactions (for the Kobold Dragonshields)

Reaction: An immediate reaction lets you act in response to a trigger. The triggering action, event, or condition occurs and is completely resolved before you take your reaction, except that you can interrupt a creature’s movement. If a creature triggers your immediate reaction while moving (by coming into range, for example), you take your action before the creature finishes moving but after it has moved at least 1 square.

Lighting

Bright Light: This category includes the light provided by most portable light sources, daylight, and the light cast by surrounding fires or lava. There are no special rules for vision in bright light.

Dim Light: This category includes the light provided by a candle or another dim light source, moonlight, indirect illumination (such as in a cave interior whose entrance is nearby or in a subterranean passageway that has narrow shafts extending to the surface), and the light cast by things such as phosphorescent fungi. Characters who have normal vision can’t see well in dim light: Creatures in the area have concealment. Characters who have low-light vision or darkvision see normally in dim light.

Darkness: Darkness prevails outside on a moonless night or in rooms with no light sources. Characters who have normal vision or low-light vision can’t see creatures or objects in darkness. Characters who have darkvision can see without penalty.

Torches provide bright light in a 5-square radius and last for an hour. Sunrods provide bright light in a 20-square radius and last for four hours. The rules make no mention of the light scaling down with distance (i.e. the torch gives only the 5 squares of bright light, not 5 of bright and another 5 of dim.)

Invisibility

Being invisible counts as total concealment (-5 to hit, and of course the attacker has to know you're there or make a lucky guess). In addition, you have combat advantage over anything that can't see you, and do not provoke AofOs from anything that can't see you. Close and Area powers are NOT affected by this and aren't at -5 to hit; fireballing the invisible guy is a viable option, assuming you catch him within its area.

Chain Mail

If you should run across chain mail and someone wants to wear it, the stats for non-magical chain are thus: +6 AC, -1 check penalty, -1 movement, 40 lbs.

Those are the only things that jump out at me as being omitted from KotS; if anyone runs across anything else that needs to be looked up, just let me know.

zero skill LPB

First Post
THANK YOU!

Are there rules governing conditionals (delaying your turn and/or readying actions)?

And again, THANK YOU!

Last edited:

Kitsune

Explorer
Delaying is pretty much the same as 3e: you wait until something happens, and your initiative is reset to that action's number-1. The 4e tricks are this: Any buffs that end on your action end the moment you start delaying; you can't keep a buff running longer by delaying. You can't maintain a power while delaying. Any bad things happening to you will still occur when you do eventually act.

Readying actions is also the same at heart, but laid out differently in 4e mechanics to fit with the new way things work. You spend a standard action to ready and declare what you're going to be reacting to; once readied you can perform the action (and it can be a standard, move, or minor action) as an immediate reaction. The reaction part is significant; it is not an interrupt. So if you want to smash some jerk before he smashes you, the readied action should be declared to be triggered by the jerk coming into range, not by him attacking you. (This technicality only matters for Magic the Gathering-level rules-lawyering or for a computer game; a flesh-and-blood DM will of course understand what you mean if you just say 'If that guy tries to attack me, I'm stabbing him.') If the triggering event doesn't happen, you act normally on the next round at your original initiative. If it does happen, your initiative is reset to the the trigger's initiative+1.

djdaidouji

First Post
Colmarr said:
WTF?!

20 squares? Wow.
Assuming they're keeping 1 square is 5 feet (I'm actually not sure about this, but all of my maps are based on this, so I'm house ruling it) that's only 100 feet. If you're taking out dim light at the end of bright light, and making it all bright, I'd say that's about right.

Kitsune

Explorer
Yep, Sunrod's 20.

Also, this bit might be important for parties with a Sleep spell, or rogues who hate fair fights:

Coup de Grace

You have to be adjacent to the target.
You can use ANY attack power. Coup de Grace via Meteor Swarm!
You have to hit the target with a normal attack roll, but helpless targets are at -5 defense, so shouldn't be hard.
Automatically crit.

The above are mentioned already in KotS, but this is the important bit that was left out:

If you do damage equal to or greater than the target's bloodied value, the target dies.

djdaidouji

First Post
Kitsune said:
If you do damage equal to or greater than the target's bloodied value, the target dies.
Get a target's con to 1, and get them helpless to deal more effective CdGs.
Then again, if a target's con is 1, its probably not hard to drop it to 0 with whatever ability was doing it...

MindWanderer

First Post
djdaidouji said:
Get a target's con to 1, and get them helpless to deal more effective CdGs.
Then again, if a target's con is 1, its probably not hard to drop it to 0 with whatever ability was doing it...
I thought ability damage didn't exist anymore?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads