• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Here Come The PRESTIGE CLASSES! Plus Rune Magic!

Mike Mearls' latest Unearthed Arcana column presents the first ever 5E prestige class: the Rune Scribe! "Prestige classes build on the game’s broad range of basic options to represent specialized options and unique training. The first of those specialized options for fifth edition D&D is the rune scribe—a character who masters ancient sigils that embody the fundamental magic of creation."

Mike Mearls' latest Unearthed Arcana column presents the first ever 5E prestige class: the Rune Scribe! "Prestige classes build on the game’s broad range of basic options to represent specialized options and unique training. The first of those specialized options for fifth edition D&D is the rune scribe—a character who masters ancient sigils that embody the fundamental magic of creation."

It's a 5-level class, and also contains the basic information on how prestige classes work and how to join them - including ability, skill, level, and task-based prerequisites. Find it here.

CapnZapp

Legend
A prestige class requires a minimum character level and a minimum score in at least one ability, as well as requiring that you complete a specific deed—finding a magic item, defeating a monster, surviving a particular challenge, and so on—before being able to take up that class.
The part I just emphasized makes me so happy.

They have finally realized the key to avoiding 3E style power creep is making the quest mandatory.

Few players will bully their DMs into allowing a certain prestige class if that means telling them "okay, so here is this awesome adventure you need to run for us so I can be accepted by the Cool Dudes with Awesome Power Society".

And reading that I realize having my players bring me adventure is a pure win.

So. Classic win-win-win scenario.

Bawylie

A very OK person
You would need uniform progression for that.

I mean, some sub-classes come at level 1, and some at level 3.
Some have 3 features, some have 4.

Not necessarily. You might write something like "Choosing this subclass changes your character's normal subclass progression. Instead of the default advancement listed on your class table, this subclass gains new features at levels X, Y, & Z, irrespective of when your class would normally acquire subclass benefits. Accordingly, if you elect to advance in this subclass, you no longer advance in the subclass you took at 1st or 3rd level."

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Call them what you want, prestige classes are the same as any other class only shorter and with stricter requirements.

CapnZapp

Legend
In the sense that I was speaking the exact opposite of my actual belief to make a rhetorical point, yes.

I mean, it's a nice gesture, but as soon as the designers open up the idea of non-20 level classes, the floodgates will open, as 3e demonstrated. It's too compelling of a niche not to fill with homebrew.
Homebrew is of no concern to me.

It is when players come with official WotC books and point at the pretty pictures I can't say no.

As long as WotC themselves sticks to always keeping the epic deed quest thingy, I'm good.

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm pretty ambivalent here. PrC's made such little splash in our games that they might as well have not existed. Almost no one took them other than maybe a dabble here or there. Color me pretty much meh.
Clearly you didn't meet my 3E player's "paladin" with half a dozen prestige class dips that was almost invulnerable to annoyances such as "spells with saving throws" not to mention trifles like "spells without saving throws" and "attack rolls trying but not nearly hitting AC"... ;-)

JanBolt

First Post
Oh no! Prestige Clases! Didn't WotC learned from previous mistakes?
Sure, you can sell a lot of books full of character options using prestige classes. And feats also.
But it is SOOOO 3e. The reason because my gaming group quitted from D&D and afterwards from Pathfinder.
I understand WotC is an enterprise that has to get profits all the years. But htere are several ways to do it instead of overloading the market with plenty of prestige classes and feats books. The D&D 5e is already great without prestige clases. We can re-create almost every one of the interesting ones.
Follow that way and forget my money!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I just realized:

This is actually just a sub-class, abstracted from a base class. You could use this as a template, and make an Illusionist PrC, or an Assassin, or a Champion, simply by using the five powers and making them one a level rather than spread out.

Alternative, if they make an Artificer class, this could be a subclass with the features at the relevant levels.

I have not like PrC, but if they make them an option where you can take subclasses out and mix them, that would be fine. That means they can be subclasses for us who don't want PrC, bit PrC for those who prefer them.

Nice and modular in design.

CapnZapp

Legend
Just as with the standard rules for multiclassing, the experience point cost to gain a level is always based on your total character level, not your level in a particular class.
OMG. Just by the fact they felt a need to say this out loud I feel we are getting closer to true dual-classing AD&D-style by the minute!

OMG, I say!

Andor

First Post
Why is everyone discussing spell casting progression? It's a lousy PrC for casters, it's not bad for non-casters or 1/2 or 1/3 casters. You don't need spells to get into it, just Knowledge Arcana.

That having been said, I don't know who would actually take this class. If you have a rune, you get most of the meat of it just by attuning. The attack spells are pretty lousy, really. I suppose I could see taking two levels in it in order to get a Runic discovery and gain a permanent immunity to petrification, or drowning. Might not be bad for bender monks, since they are running with an elemental theme.

As far as bringing in PrCs.... Yeah, it is a can of worms. It's a can of worm inextricably linked to multiclassing however, which is an optional rule to begin with. But still, between backgrounds, subclasses, feats and multiclassing I'm not convinced it's a needed design space. The usual justification for a PrC after all is to either gate a certain power until after a given level, which is already accomplished by class design, or to tie a social reward to a suitable achievement, in which case I think you're better off to ignore the level requirement and tie "Purple Dragon Knight" to completing a quest for whoever hands out purple garters. The Affiliations rules from 3.5 seem like better design space for that sprt of thing however, rather than PrCs. Just my 2 cents.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
As long as they keep these prestige very unique in nature, and balanced, I'm thrilled. Not just 10 different ways to alter a combat round or splurge magic use in a singe turn.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads