• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Here Comes The STRAHD DM SCREEN

As usual, Gale Force 9 has a DM Screen to accompany the latest Dungeons & Dragons adventure. The Curse of Strahd DM Screen can be pre-ordered now for $15, with an April release date. "This screen is the perfect companion for those Dungeon Masters running the Curse of Strahd adventure, or any trek through Barovia. The front includes contrasting images of Count Strahd von Zarovich while the back provides maps for Castle Ravenloft and surrounding Barovia, as well as random encounter tables for both." Click on any of the below images to go to the product page in GF9's web store.

As usual, Gale Force 9 has a DM Screen to accompany the latest Dungeons & Dragons adventure. The Curse of Strahd DM Screen can be pre-ordered now for $15, with an April release date. "This screen is the perfect companion for those Dungeon Masters running the Curse of Strahd adventure, or any trek through Barovia. The front includes contrasting images of Count Strahd von Zarovich while the back provides maps for Castle Ravenloft and surrounding Barovia, as well as random encounter tables for both." Click on any of the below images to go to the product page in GF9's web store.

73705-01.jpg

73705-02.jpg

73705-03.jpg

S

Sunseeker

It would be really nice if they could put some original art on these things, which is largely why I bought the first DM screen, since the art wasn't simply the cover of any given book. I also wonder if this is going to be a "small" DM screen like the OotA screen? There's already so much information packed on to the DM screen, I don't see why they're getting smaller, if anything they should be bigger!

I do like the interior, but I question of the "maps" are going to be of any size to be remotely useful. I know that one castle interior is a fairly large area!

The fact that "Curse of Strahd" and its logo are right on the center spine just smacks of poor design. Also, the overlay of the witch with the tarokka cards is just...tacky.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
At least this one looks somewhat useful because of the maps. All of the screens to data have been of little use. I would rather have a well-thought out screen with the most important reference tables I need for the game than an AP-specific screen that does little to help minimize the time flipping through books. Having the maps there is at least somewhat useful, but it isn't that convenient for my old eyes to look at the maps standing up strait on a low board. I would rather print the maps and have the one I currently need printed large and laying flat on the table before me.

As for the front side, it is just a lazy collage of art from the book and not very well laid out. Do they really not make enough money on these to commission some original art?

SerHogan

Explorer
I've never loved DM Screens for my tabletop games. Always getting in the way when I needed to manipulate minis and maps on the game table.

draynay

First Post
I wanted to want this, but it looks lousy. I still haven't replaced my 4E screen, and if they make junk like this I doubt I ever will.

The inside actually looks pretty handy. You'll be referencing those maps a lot during play.
But the outside is pretty terrible. The outer panels are fine, but the middle panels are just random.

And as others have said, it's pretty terrible that a very useful and important accessory is delayed until April/May. I know someone who took the digital images of the cards WotC released and set it to a print shop and already has their deck...

I wanted to want this, but it looks lousy. I still haven't replaced my 4E screen, and if they make junk like this I doubt I ever will.
I'm using the Wayne Reynolds fight in snow one myself. I stuck plastic page covers on the inside, so I can just change the interiour for whatever game system I want.

draynay

First Post
I'm using the Wayne Reynolds fight in snow one myself. I stuck plastic page covers on the inside, so I can just change the interiour for whatever game system I want.

Yep, that's the one, suppose I will do similar since no newer screens have activated "shut up and take my money!" mode.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've never loved DM Screens for my tabletop games. Always getting in the way when I needed to manipulate minis and maps on the game table.

I'm with you there, personally. When using a battle map and minis, a screen gets in the way. I also tend to stand up a lot when running a game, which means that I can't read the screen anyway.

Bruce Vistani

First Post
Player facing side is ugg.

DM side is meh. Random encounter table is good. Barovia map should be in the center. The castle map isn't terribly useful imho as I'd be squinting to make out details. Descriptive text for landscapes and Borovian names might have been useful. Tarroka card meanings would have been very helpful.

As always, weapon damage and armour class charts are a must have on ANY DM screen (why do they keep leaving these off???!!!)

Doubt

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads