• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

here i go again :P

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
which class would make a better archer? a fighter, or a ranger? any good prestidge classes?

I have a slight idea of how this guy is going to tunr out, I'm still deciding on a human, elf, or half-elf archer though...but his background is pretty much done

any tips guys?

(gonna get some sleep, I'll check this first thing in the morning)

Last edited:

javcs

First Post
Order of the Bow Initiate, PRC.

Ranger will give better skills, and better for a more outdoorsy archer, fighter is better for a more urban/battlefield type archer.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Just for the record - and this is not a complaint - but there have been several threads on this topic as of late. There is one currently getting much attention over in General. You might want to reference that thread for ideas. Again, this isn't a complaint, just making sure you get the most bang for your buck.

Edit: Here is the link.

Darklone

Yeah, but that's not an archer.

There are several good and useful archer builds possible, it depends more on what you want to do and how your campaign is going. A woodelf bard can be horribly effective, a druid elf archer rocks especially in campaigns with many battles per day, a fighter archer is rather boring but always useful, a barbarian archer is a bit strange but fun, a halfling archer is ... weird. Now with Crossbow sniper I'm looking forward to try some nice Xbow archers. A scout archer with Greater Manyshot: the pain, dude, the pain.

Honestly, I don't understand why so many people like the OotBI. The class sucks at most things an archer needs and other things are better done by a simple scout build. Get the greatbow and one level of the Exotic Weapon Master and you don't need OotBI!

So:
- What kind of archer do you want? Light armored, utility spellcaster, heavy tank with armor spikes and flak? Or even a boulderthrower? A sneaky sniper?
- How much do you rely on buffs?
- How much time do you have in general to buff before battles?
- How long are your dungeon crawls (is 10 minutes/level duration for the buff spells enough to see you through the dungeon or at least till the next Rope Trick?)
- How important are skills for you? And which skills?

Tell us what you want and we can offer you some builds.

Btw: Did someone try a Swift Ambusher rog/scout build yet? And is there some possibility to get skirmish damage in a surprise round? Ehem, new thread.

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
great ideas ppl, thx! I'll be sure to check the other thread too.

about what I'm looking for. I wanted a sniper kind of guy who would protect the party's back while they infiltrated a minor bad guy's mansion, and would make the enemies wear iron umbrellas to stop the rain of arrows that would come from the back of the party.

I usually have the higher ranks on the hide, move silently, spot and listen skills. we're currently on a more urban campaign setting, and unless we actually see a fight coming, we don't have much time to buff

P.S: i'm usually a Bow guy, I'm not a big fan of crossbows

Last edited:

Darklone

Sounds like the rogue/scout mix mentioned above. You have to be within 30ft range though... I don't know another way except for Xbow sniper to increase your precision damage range...

Goolpsy

First Post
Well.. i dunno if there's an Update on the Deep Wood Sniper from.. master of the wild (3.0) but it is a nice archer prestiege class

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads