"Here There Be Vampires" A Promise City, Arizona Story Hour

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm a little unclear why Sunday morning doesn't involve any dynamite... but I'm enjoying this tremendously nonetheless! It's especially apropos, as we just watched The MAgnificent Seven and I'm reminded all over again how much I love westerns.

orchid blossom

Explorer
Sorry Piratecat, Kate isn't so good with the dynamite. She can't even aim her pistol. There hasn't been enough dynamite lately, we'll have to remedy that. :)

orchid blossom

Explorer
Funeral for a Friend

The family all head outside to a trio of carriages that await them. Kate joins her parents in the Seagram family coach in the front along with Phillip and Phillip’s private tutor Mr. Roderick Angelbury. Angelbury had been a close friend of Mr. Emerson. Emerson in fact had been the one to recommend Angelbury to the family when Phillip first exhibited that he had some minor difficulties in learning English rather than French.

Also joining them inside the main carriage was Mathias, the family butler and manager of all of the household servants. While 19th century society placed clear divisions between servants and masters, the Seagram household never paid the strictest attention to such protocol. To others it will appear that Mathias is accompanying the family to assisting the grieving women, but Kate knew the truth, that Mathias was also in mourning over his departed friend and the Seagrams wished him beside them as part of the family for the private service.

The second carriage belonged to the Oxnard family, Elaine’s parents. Riding in that carriage were Henry, Elaine, their daughters, Mr. and Mrs. Oxnard, Colby Tucker and Mr. Pickering.

The final carriage belonged to the neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. Tannenbaum who along with their son Charmichael would be attending only the public service, having only met Emerson on a few social occasions. They were joined by Conrad Booth, Manuel Gonzales and young Ginnie.

The carriages set off to exit Boston and head northwest to the community of Concord Massachusetts where Emerson had resided.

Kate was quiet for a long time as the carriage bumped and jostled through the city streets, eventually moving out into newly budding trees of the countryside. Her eyes had watched the familiar buildings slide by, each street a memory. “I don’t know if I could have done this,” she said quietly.

“Done what, Katherine?” her father asked, taking her black-gloved hand and squeezing it.

She looked around the carriage at the somber group, then back to her father. “Gone through all this for Tom. So many people, things to do. Everyone always around wanting to help when all you want is to be quiet. I missed all of you so much, but I’m glad I was spared this.”

Friedrich slipped his arm around his daughter and hugged her around the shoulders. She leaned against him and closed her eyes, allowing herself to doze through the rest of the ride, vaguely aware of the other quiet voices talking in the coach.

The carriages arrive at the home of Ralph Waldo Emerson. A dear friend and artist, Daniel Chester French, who had enjoyed Emerson’s endorsement in obtaining the commission for his Minute Man statue and who in 1879 had sculpted a bust of Emerson, had draped the body in a white robe, dramatic in contrast with the dark wood of the black walnut coffin.

The women of Concord made black and white rosettes to decorate houses that people would see on the way from the depot and along the route of the funeral procession. Public buildings were hung with black drapery. The Fitchburg Railroad arranged special trains to bring the anticipated throng of mourners to Concord. The floors and galleries of the First Parish were reinforced to support the weight of the numbers expected.

The private service was conducted at Emerson’s home by William Henry Furness, began at 2:30. At its conclusion, a hearse carried the coffin to the First Parish Greek/Roman Church, accompanied by pallbearers, members of the Social Circle, and carriages bearing family members.

The First Parish was decorated with pine and hemlock branches and a variety of flowers. Louisa May Alcott, who had idolized Emerson, had prepared a lyre of jonquils. The service, conducted by James Freeman Clarke, began at 3:30. Judge Hoar spoke emotionally. Bronson Alcott read a poem he had written for the occasion. Kate’s father also spoke briefly about his dear friend as he had at the private service as well. At the conclusion of the ceremony, some of those waiting outside were allowed to enter and file past the coffin.

The entire community of Concord seemed to be in mourning. It was rather overwhelming to ride through the streets and see the throngs of mourners. She sat through the private service holding Henry’s youngest girl Margaret on her lap. The little girl was old enough to realize she must be quiet, but she didn’t really understand what was happening. Still, the novelty of sitting with “Auntie Cake” seemed enough to amuse her.

They rode in the procession to the public service where she was united with Ginnie, Conrad and Mr. Gonzales. There were more than a few people staring at Conrad, and Kate was grateful that they were likely too busy wondering if he was who they thought he was to wonder about him being with the Seagrams.

As her father predicted, Kate was grateful to have all the people she loved around her at the public service. She sat with one arm around Ginnie’s shoulder and her free hand holding Conrad’s. Although tears often threatened she managed to keep from crying, even when well meaning people who had not seen her since before Tom’s death stopped by to offer their condolences. But she also had a chance to at least greet many friends she had not seen in months.

Thankfully Kate’s worst fears did not come to pass. Since Mr. Emerson had lived in Concord, the clergy Kate remembered from that terrible day so long ago were not in attendance. Still, it was a long, difficult day and Kate was exhausted by the end of it.

From the ceremony the body was transported to Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. Mr. Seagram served as one of the pallbearers. Samuel Moody Haskins, Emerson’s cousin, conducted the Episcopal burial service. The Emerson grandchildren and the schoolchildren of Concord dropped flowers and greenery into the grave. Before the mourners dispersed, the sun broke through the clouds that had threatened rain all day.

Kate had managed to keep herself together during most of the services, but when the children dropped their colorful offerings onto the coffin it all became very real. She held on to Ginnie tight even as she held her handkerchief to her streaming eyes.

The thought of this wonderful friend ending in Hades broke her heart. Surely, if anyone deserved a better rest it was he. Tom had escaped that end, and when the sun broke out of the clouds Kate found some hope that whatever greater fate the gods of Olympus had to offer, Mr. Emerson had earned it.

The services end and the people return to all of their respective carriages for the ride home. Kate goes with Conrad, Ginnie and Gonzales to the carriage of her family’s neighbors rather than that of her parents and they make no attempt to stop her. The ride back is quiet, with each of the three unsure of what to say. Finally Mrs. Tannenbaum breaks the silence and says in her thick German accent, “It is good that you were able to return Katherine.”

Kate nodded. “I had planned a trip home, but I didn’t expect to arrive for such a sad occasion. I’m grateful to have the chance to be with my family now, though. I have learned the last few months how important family is.”

The ride back to Boston is peaceful and continues to be quiet. The only further comments from Charmichael Tannenbaum. As a boy he once had a crush of Kate. The young man who now must be either eighteen or nineteen offers her his condolences for the loss of her husband and while staring intently at Conrad Booth then states, “I wish you the best of luck in the future Mrs. Kale.”

“Thank you, Carmichael,” she said sincerely, ignoring his stare. “I find my luck to be strange indeed. My new home suits me surprisingly well, and with my many friends and my work there I believe I shall be very happy.

You must be ready for college by now. And I’d wager you had a very busy social season this year as well.”

Before he can answer Mr. Tannenbaum interjects “Yah, Carm will be going to Dartmouth College in September to study medicine.”

Charmichael then adds, “Yes, I will miss being in Boston, but I don’t have to tell you what that feels like Mrs. Kale. I had applied to Harvard but wasn’t accepted. Father had a friend at Dartmouth and was able to get me in. It’s actually considered to be a better medical school, so I should have no difficulty establishing a practice afterwards.”

“Medicine,” Kate shook her head with a smile. “I should have liked to study it myself. I’m sure you’ll make an excellent doctor, and Dartmouth is a very worthy school.

And you can always come back to Boston to practice. It’s a valuable experience to live somewhere else for a while and meet people with different ways and ideas. And you can’t experience the joy of homecoming if you never leave.

Who could have guessed when we were children that you would be a doctor and I would be out west teaching school?”

“Not I,” Charmichael replies. The carriage reaches the Seagram household and discharges those staying there. Conrad thanks the Tannebaums for the ride to which Gonzales adds “Indeed, it was a pleasure meeting all of you. Hopefully our next meeting will be under happier circumstances.”

The four head into the house, where the Seagrams and Oxnards have already arrived. As they enter the building Henri is waiting at the door and says to Conrad and Manuel “Father is having brandy and cigars with my father-in-law, Howard Elias Oxnard, out on the back patio. I will be joining them but wanted to invite the two of you along as well.” Both men accept and accompany Henri.

Kate hears the sound of her mother’s voice as well as that of her sister-in-law Elaine and Elaine’s mother Victoria Oxnard coming from the direction of the library.

Kate and Ginnie followed the sound of the ladies voices into the library. She introduced Ginnie to Mrs. Oxnard, and once those introductions were over the young girl found herself a book and a spot in one of the comfortable reading chairs.

“The girls aren’t here?” Kate asked.

Elaine shook her head, “They fell asleep on the ride back. Henry put them in the nursery upstairs.”

“They’re sweet girls, Elaine. You’re very lucky.”

“We are,” her sister-in-law answered. “They miss you, though. And Tom too. He was always so good and silly with them...” Elaine looked over at Kate. “I’m sorry maybe I shouldn’t have...”

“No, it’s fine,” Kate said and hugged her. “He loved them very much, and I like to hear people remember him and see them smile. And since no one in Arizona really knew him, I can talk about him, but I can’t really share my memories.”

She held on for another moment, then went and sat down. “So how are things here, Ladies? You know, the things Henry and Papa wouldn’t tell me.”

Henry led the men out onto the patio that bordered the garden where Katherine had been sitting that morning. Friedrich Seagram had already lit his pipe and was talking quietly to Howard Oxnard. Henry picked up a box and offered it to both Conrad and Manuel, then handed them some matches.

The young man filled his own pipe and sat down with a sigh. “It’s been a long day. I see how you both take care of my sister, and we appreciate it more than we can say. Thank you for bringing her here. I missed the last time she, and...” he swallowed, “It’s good to put some faces with the names I’ve heard.

How is she doing out there, really?”

Conrad breathes a sigh of relief when Manuel speaks up to answer the question, unsure of exactly what to say. Gonzales states, “Your daughter Katherine is now happy and content. While she still mourns the passing of her husband she has also decided to look forward rather than backwards with her life. Her purchasing a ranch, a house and a building for a school has helped to change her outlook. The ranch is her way of following up and fulfilling the dreams that she and her husband Tom had for going out west while the school draws upon her innate ability to make the lives of others better.”

Conrad decides that talking about the school rather than his relationship with her is a safe enough topic area and interjects “The school is very much needed. There are now over two-dozen children in town and most families cannot afford to hire private tutors. Katherine will be providing these families with education for their young which will in turn provide new opportunities for all of them.”

Gonzales says to Seagram “And sir, I would very much like to thank you for the egalitarian outlook that you have provided to your daughter. She treats all equally regardless of race, which is a welcome change from the outlook from that of several of the town’s leaders.”

“Thank you, Mr. Gonzales. As the schoolteacher I hope she will have some influence in how the people in Promise City think. I was heavily involved with the abolitionist movement, so she was always surrounded by people who didn’t tolerate bigotry. She was always curious about people who were different, so much so that she would badger them with all the questions they could stand. My daughter has her own prejudices, but they are not about race,” Friedrich says with a rueful smile.

“She has some trouble with men who fought for the Confederacy. She was very young when I came back from the war, and I think all she really understood about what had happened to my arm was that men from the South had hurt me. She’s never really let go of it, but I’m sure you’ve noticed she can be stubborn.”

Conrad speaks up and says, “I wouldn’t necessarily say that is so Sir. She is aware, as are you, that relatives of mine were strong supporters of the Confederacy and has never held that in any way against me. And the previous owners of the Saloon where she plays piano at were also Confederate sympathizers.”

“No, she wouldn’t hold it against you. Those weren’t your choices, she wouldn’t judge you by what others have done. As for the saloon owners, I suspect she didn’t know about their opinions until after she had formed her own.”

Friedrich’s face became grave as he continued. “The other is the Greek and Roman gods and their servants. I thought of her often after we got the news of Tom’s death. To be alone in an unknown place... To have faith to turn to would have been a comfort for her.”

Gonzales softly states, “It would have Sir during her first months in Arizona and I believe that she has come to realize that herself. Her outlook towards your deities has changed since her arrival in Promise City. You should be aware that her husband’s passing has changed her outlook. She also purchased a marker for his grave with the Goddess Diana on it and also participated in a ceremony to Diana. While she may never share your devotion to those deities I believe that she has...well....experienced enough to make her have a level of faith. She is also very close friends with the Priestess of the town’s Greek and Roman Church.”

There was a shimmer of hope in Friedrich’s eyes. “She wrote to us about the marker, saying that it was Tom’s wishes that mattered when it came to his headstone, not hers. But participating in a ceremony is very unusual for her.

But who is this Priestess? Katherine has never mentioned her, and she has written of both of you and the Figueres family, as well as her friend Ruby, Mr. Cooke, Nanuet and Mr. Martin. Even of Mrs. Kelley and Mrs. Wainwright and a Mrs. King whom she had a bit of a clash with. Nothing of a Priestess.”

“Ah...Priestess Minerva Florencia....truly a gift to all of us from the gods.”

Seagram gives him an odd look. Gonzales continues, “If she wrote you about Mrs. King then you’ve heard of the town’s Vigilance Committee. They are a group of bigoted humans, who feel that their own narrow interpretations of religion are correct and that humans are superior to all races. I’m sure you’ve met their type before. They also wish to close down all saloons and gambling houses in town, which would hardly work for a mining community where the hard-working laborers need some release for their off hours.

Well, the Vigilance Committee was displeased with the town’s previous minister, who liked to drink and gamble himself, and forced his dismissal. In his place they asked for a married male minister who believed as they did. The Bishops were wise enough to realize that wouldn’t work for our town and sent Miss. Florencia instead.

She has worked hard to help bridge the gap between the two factions. Since her arrival, less than two months ago, she has held a major Festival to the Greek gods and has raised enough money to not only finish the church but also purchase a fire-fighting wagon for the community. While the Vigilance Committee still does not support her they also have realized that they cannot openly oppose her.”

“She sounds like a remarkable woman,” Friedrich said. “With good priorities. Unfortunately there are many people like your Vigilance Committee here in Boston; more than a few of them are members of the clergy. I hope it’s as you say and Katherine has made a friend of the lady. She may not have wanted to broach the subject with us.”

Henry spoke up and said, “Well, we’ve heard about Miss Florencia, and we’ve had plenty of word about Jacqueline’s other friends... What about the two of you? Mr. Gonzales I understand you are a professor. How about yourself, Mr. Booth? I understand you run a table at one of the saloons in town,” he said curiously. “Life must be very different there. Father has been talking about visiting, and I have to say I’m curious.”

Gonzales says “Professor may be a bit of an overstatement, but I have had a fine education, am proficient in a number of languages and have traveled much of the world. I grew up in what is now Brownsville, Texas. Back in my day it was part of Mexico. And I previously served in the Mexican Military, raising to the rank of Admiral.”

Booth says, “Well, I’d say that there is a huge contrast to Promise City and the city where I grew up, San Francisco. Western cities tend to be more accepting to change given the newness of them, but cities are cities. Mining towns are a different thing altogether. But with good people like Katherine and Priestess Florencia the town will develop along the right path and be a place we will all be proud to call our home.”

Gonzales adds “Professor Pickering was talking about making a visit with some of his students out to Arizona in late May, apparently there will be a solar eclipse on June 1st that can be best viewed out west. We would be honored if some of you could accompany him. My granddaughter owns a hotel and I will happy to reserve a block of rooms for you.”

Henry looked speculatively at Conrad as Friedrich answered.

“The El Parador, yes? I’d enjoy seeing the place where Katherine lived. My business pretty much takes care of itself these days. I’ll let you know before you head back to Promise City, but I think we’ll be seeing you there.”

The Seagrams continue to chat with their visitors, asking more general questions about life in the west and Promise City in particular. Henry especially seems interested, and pays close attention when Conrad talks about life there.

After another twenty minutes or so the sounds of the piano begin to float into the room with Kate’s light singing voice floating above it. The tune is one often heard at the El Parador, but the words are barely recognizable as she tries to sing them in Spanish without laughing at her bad pronunciation.

Conrad joins in the singing, adding his rich tenor voice to the songs and for the first time since arriving at the Seagram home appears to relax. The music continues for a short while until dinner is ready. The dinner conversation is rather formal, with Mrs. Oxnard dominating the conversation in a discussion of Boston society and politics.

Following the meal the Oxnards depart for their home and Katherine’s mother asks Kate to join her in the parlor. Once they are alone she closes the parlor door and then pours a glass of red wine for both of them. She comments in French “I thought that woman would never leave! By now one would have thought that she would realize I don’t share the same zeal for society gossip that she appears to delight in. At least I managed to steer her away from a conversation that she attempted to start several times today, namely the details of your relationship with Mr. Booth. Quite frankly, that is none of her business, although I will admit that your father and I are both curious.”

Katherine hid her face in her glass and took a large swallow. “We talked about that last night, Maman.”

Amelie laughed lightly. “No, my dear, we talked about your attraction, and the guilt you’ve felt over it.”

A rosy blush crept up Kate’s neck as she got up and walked over to the window. The sun was gone and she could see only blackness outside and the reflections of the light inside. “It is... There are things...” She stopped and took a deep breath. “He is courting me. He has been a wonderful and loyal friend, and he admitted lately that his feelings are more than friendship but he is willing to wait.”

She smiles at her daughter and says, “So he is every bit the gentleman that he carries himself as. That is a rare quality to find in a man these days. When I was your age it was the norm, but the War....it changed the country and the men in it. You are a fortunate girl to have found one like him in your town in the middle of nowhere.”

“Yes, he is a gentleman. And more so every day. Ginnie thinks I should marry him and have done with it,” she chuckled. “She said that not all white knights come complete with a horse and I shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth.”

She took another swallow of her wine. “My feelings for him are so different than what I have for Tom, but I.... Perhaps I am too entrenched in what Boston would think. I cannot help but feel I shouldn’t want another man so soon.”

“Ginnie is but a child, do not put too much stock in her opinions. Although I do not think that your husband would want you to be either sad or alone. Boston society would say that a full year of mourning should be observed. However when you factor in his time away from you it has been almost nine months since you saw Thomas last.

Kate nodded. “Sometimes I feel it was just yesterday I saw him last, other times it seems like years. I still want a family, children, and I know Tom would want that for me. I just wish I could stop doubting myself. Love is such a hard thing to find, it seems ungrateful to turn it away to make society happy.”

“But do you truly love this man? With Tom it was obvious that you were deeply in love. You appear to be far more uncertain about your feelings towards Mr. Booth.”

Kate closed her eyes and allowed thoughts into her mind that she had not permitted before. Pictures of a life. Of coming home from her school to find Conrad sitting in the parlor, or Sunday nights spent playing and singing together. She saw him keeping a father’s eye on Ginnie, then cradling her son in his arms and romping with him as he grew. Finally she imagined taking him to her bed and waking each morning wrapped in his arms.

“Maman.... I do love him,” she said wonderingly. “Tom knocked me over like a runaway horse. I didn’t know then that I would love him, but I knew there was something.... Conrad has crept into my heart so softly that I can hardly say when I began to think of him. I have blinded myself to it because I didn’t want to be disloyal to Tom, but I can’t deny it anymore. Can there be room for both, Maman?”

She replies, “Of course darling. Your father is the love of my life but he wasn’t my first love. There was a neighborhood boy named Maurice Boujoulais. He and I were together for years, we were inseparable. We spoke of one day getting married, but then his father’s business called their family back to Paris and I never saw him again. I truly did love him, but I moved on with my life and have no regrets. A person can have more than one love.”

She set down the glass and embraced her mother. “Oh, I’ve wanted you. I’ve been so confused about everything, telling myself that I was wrong to feel anything for him. Sometimes a girl just needs her mother. I have no regrets, I gave Tom everything I had while we were together.

It could all be a moot point. I’m not sure how much he wants. If he just wants to court me, or if he wants more.”

“Look where he is right now dear? A person doesn’t travel halfway across the country to attend a funeral of a person he’s never met unless he was serious. Not to mention meeting and staying in the home of the woman’s parents. I think this is more than a simple courtship.”

Kate nodded, keeping to herself that she had already turned down an offer for marriage. “You’re right. I don’t know why I keep putting barriers up. I know he cares for me. He’s made it more than clear, even thought I’ve been so evasive.

Thank you, Maman. I hope you... You don’t know him well, but I hope you will approve of him by the time we leave.”

They spend a short while talking about family. Henry, Elaine and the girls leave shortly thereafter for their home. It has been a long day and Kate’s parents head to bed early that night.

Ginnie and Manuel make themselves at home in the library, devouring as many of the Seagram’s fine books as time will allow them. Kate notes with some satisfaction that they are not reading individually but together, analyzing the text and making various comments and observations about the material. She does not recall ever seeing either of them happier.

Kate smiled in at them, feeling very full. Her heart still ached with the loss of their friend, but that ache made her all the more aware of the richness of her own life. It would be ungrateful of her to be unhappy when she had so much.

Ginnie’s face was bright and animated as she talked to Mr. Gonzales. The girl hadn’t spoken about her fears, but Kate made no assumption they were gone. She hoped by the time the baby came Ginnie would feel how loved she was by so many and not be afraid for her place in their hearts.

Kate went inside the library and picked up a book, but could not settle down. She was acutely aware that she did not know where Conrad was just now. She would ask him to make the arrangements to New York tomorrow. They could go down on Tuesday. Tomorrow she must speak to her father about her studies and what her life was really like in Arizona. And about his grandson.

“I’m going to bed, my dears,” Kate said and kissed Ginnie and her teacher. “I love you.”

orchid blossom

Explorer
Confessions

The next morning she dressed in a rose-pink, high-necked gown with a cameo pinned at her throat. Her hair was more elaborately arranged than usual since she again had the help of a maid. She stepped out of her room to see Conrad walking down the hall. Her heart thumped and there was a pretty flush in her face as she said, “Good morning.”

“Good morning to you,” he replies. “It appears that I’m beginning to adapt to the change in time zones. You look well rested, that is good, yesterday was a long day for you. I apologize for not seeing you last evening but you and your mother were in the parlor with the doors closed and I did not want to intrude upon your privacy. I did manage to keep busy though, young Charmichael Tannenbaum was kind enough to give me a walking tour of this section of Boston. What a fine historic city you have here.”

“There’s no need to apologize. I’m glad you got out into the city for a while. It’s beautiful, and sometimes I miss it a great deal. But you heard Mrs. Oxnard last night; that I don’t miss. In Arizona no one finds it odd that I would rather do something with my time then sit and entertain visitors and gossip about my neighbors.”

Kate took his arm and walked companionably with him. “Yesterday was a long day, and I’m not sure everything has hit me yet. I had a very difficult time falling asleep last night, but I’m glad I can fool you.

Charmichael has been a friend of Phillip’s since they were children. I’m a bit surprised you and he were out together. Yesterday he seemed.... Forgive my bluntness but jealous would be the correct word. He fancied me when we were young, but I’d thought he’d gotten over that long ago.”

Conrad laughs and says, “Oh, he’s still somewhat smitten with you but I believe that when you married Thomas Kale he accepted that fact that you and he would never be a couple. But the young man is still protective of you. He asked me a number of questions during our walk that were clearly targeted towards his finding out if I was a man of good character. Phillip had mentioned to him that my profession was that of a gambler, so Charmichael immediately assumed I was just after the Seagram family’s money. I just played along and answered all of his questions honestly, enjoying the tour and not wanting to cause a confrontation with the boy.”

“Thank you for that. You’re right, he’s just concerned. You’re a stranger to them, and Charmichael doesn’t even have the benefit of having read my letters, incomplete as they are. I’m sure you can imagine there are some things I haven’t written about.”

Kate squeezed his arm and was quiet for a moment. “I have to talk to my father today and tell him about the more exciting parts of my life the last few months. He knows some of it but it’s still very incomplete. There is so much he needs to understand before I can tell him about the baby. Once Papa understands I can tell the others. I hate having secrets, from Henry especially. I’ve always told him everything.”

She stopped walking next to a little alcove and took his other hand. “Perhaps you’d make the arrangements for our trip to New York today? We could leave tomorrow and come back Wednesday.” She stepped closer to him. “It would be nice to have some time together.”

He replies, “Indeed it would. From what I have seen Ginnie and Manuel are both very comfortable here, so I do not think that leaving them for a day would be a problem for either of them. I will talk to Mathias about making those arrangements.”

“Thank you. They’ve both been here before. I’m sure they will find plenty to entertain them in the library, I’ll have to remind them to eat while we’re gone,” she laughed. “Perhaps we can go for a walk or a drive later and I can show you some more of the city. I think I’ll need to relax later.”

Conrad replies, “Very good. I will go make the travel arrangements and will see you at lunch if not before.”

“Don’t forget to get yourself some breakfast,” she smiled. Kate hesitated for a moment, then pushed herself high up on her toes and kissed his cheek before she left him there to find her teacher. Her father would be in his study this time of morning, and she wasn’t going to be able to eat until after this was over.

Kate found her teacher and walked with him to her father’s study. “Thank you for coming with me,” she said. “I’ll need your help explaining much of the magic; especially the earth magic that allowed Tom to be here.”

Manuel patted her hand that was resting on his arm as they walked. “Your father loves you. Whether he believes or not, that isn’t going to change.”

“I know,” she nodded. “But there are few things that hurt more than disappointing my family.” They stopped before the open study door for Kate to take a deep breath. “Papa, can I talk to you?”

The study door had been closed for the better part of two hours before Kate came to the end of her story. With her teacher’s help she explained what had really happened in Promise City as completely as she could, from the first day, to the meeting with the Cartwrights, and every adventure that followed. They dwelled on her lessons and Storm’s earth magics, and the attention of the deities on Promise City during March.

After everything else was told she explained how Tom had come to her and what had happened. “There is no greater gift,” she finished with her eyes shining. “I will revere Diana for her kindness for the rest of my life. We’re under her protection now. I know it’s hard to believe, but you’ll see. When you see your grandson, you’ll know.”

A very long period of silence follows during which it is near to impossible to deduce what Mr. Seagram is thinking.

Manuel Gonzales breaks the silence by stating, “Sir, I realize that this is a lot to take in all at once and difficult to believe. The honest truth is that I didn’t believe it either at first, nor did Mr. Booth. In fact, we each initially thought...well....that the other was somehow responsible.

But we both received the counsel of another, a very powerful and ancient wood elvan woman who knows more about the Earth than nearly anybody around. She convinced us of what had happened. Priestess Minerva Florencia can also shed some light on this subject.

My recommendation is that you join Mr. Pickering on his visit to Arizona next month when you can meet and talk with these individuals. Until then, please keep an open mind on this subject and also pray to your deities to show you the truth.”

Katherine looked over to her teacher with poorly concealed hurt in her eyes. “I didn’t know that you didn’t believe me,” she said quietly.

Manuel says, “I.....I’m sorry. That was wrong of me...I should have. I will never doubt you again Katherine.”

Kate stepped over and embraced her teacher. “You did what you thought best at the time, and I needed to be believed. I just... you must have thought I’d finally gone crazy. You didn’t think I’d lied, did you?”

Friedrich finally spoke. “I don’t know what to think, Katherine. You’ve been away a long time and your life has changed more than I ever dreamed. Things have happened to you that I wouldn’t have believed. But I also know that you don’t lie. You believe this is the truth.

I will keep my mind open and I will pray. And you are right, Mr. Gonzales. I need to come to Arizona and see for myself.”

“Papa, there is a man in Philadelphia, Arch-Bishop Dimitrios Tsaldaris. He recently visited Promise City. He knows how this happened. The goddess sent me a message through him, that the baby and I were under her protection. I never told him of my condition, but he knew.”

Mr. Seagram rubbed his forehead and looked at his daughter. “Are you happy, Katie?”

“I am, Papa. I never thought I would have a child. Diana granted me a miracle. It’s as if somehow someone feels I deserve some happiness in trade for the pain of the past months. Finding Ginnie saved me; she will always be my first child. And this baby fulfills the last dream Tom and I had together. I am very happy.”

Friedrich came over and wrapped his arms around her. He was shocked to feel her trembling. “Our first grandson...” he kissed her cheek and held her for several long moments. “I love you, Katie.”

He let go and sat down on the sofa next to her. “I wish you would reconsider coming back to Boston. Your life in Arizona... How many times has someone shot at you? The Earps, the Cowboy Gang, monsters... how can you feel safe?”

“I think that’s over now, Papa. Morgan is dead, Ringo is dead and the Gang broken. There’s no reason for anyone else to bother the schoolteacher. And now that you know everything, can you really see me living in Boston again? The society rules feel so restrictive now, so unnecessary. They’re like Mrs. King, only there because someone is afraid of what we’d do with our freedom.” She cleared her throat. “Speaking of... Mr. Booth and I will be taking a short trip to New York tomorrow. We’ll be back on Wednesday. He wants to see his father but he doesn’t want to go alone.”

“Just the two of you? It has been a long time since you were last in the city and I believe that Mr. Booth indicated he has never been to the Eastern United States before. New York can also be a dangerous place for those unfamiliar with it. If you would like I could accompany you, or I could perhaps send along Mathias.”

“Mr. Booth has never been to Boston before, but he has traveled to New York. Considering what I’ve been through in Arizona, I don’t find New York frightening. We’ll be very careful Papa. And we don’t intend to tour the city at all. Just perhaps go to the theater if that’s what we need to do to find Edwin Booth.

And would you or Mathias really want to be traveling right now? I wouldn’t think you’d feel much like going anywhere.”

“You’re probably right Kate, I was just concerned for you safety. Actually, I’m thinking of letting Mathias have the rest of the week off from his duties. He was closer to Mr. Emerson than any of us.”

Kate took her father’s hands and swallowed. “It might be good for him to relax for a few days. I’ve felt rather numb the last few days, as if it hasn’t quite hit me yet. Perhaps when I’m back in Arizona and things are quiet again....

Thank you for watching out for me. I understand your concern, but I’ll be careful. I have a lot of reasons to be.”

“There is one more thing, Papa.”

“Something more? I’m getting old my girl, I’m not sure how much more I can handle,” her father teased.

“No, no more news. I just.... I don’t want you to have to keep secrets. And I want Maman and Henry and Phillip to know. But I need your advice on when to tell them. Whatever they believe this baby is still mine. And ours. I even hope that you and Maman might come in December when he’s due. I....” Kate twisted her hands in her lap, betraying her nerves. “I think I’ll want Maman with me.”

He replies, “I am certain that it can be arranged. And I plan to visit you next month along with Mr. Pickering as well.”

“Oh, good! I so want you to see where I live. You won’t seem so far away anymore after you’ve visited and met everyone.”

Kate stayed and talked with her father for a while longer until the strange tension in the room mostly faded away. After a while Kate claimed hunger and the left the men in the study to find some breakfast and then to find Conrad. Once she had left the room Friedrich turned to his daughter’s teacher.

“There is a great deal I didn’t know, and most of it shocks me more than her last confession. Three months drinking in Tombstone... I should have come to her there. It sounds as if she came very close to going mad.”

“She did sir, but she is far better now. She has the blessings of the Goddess Diana and that will carry her onward. He biggest fear at this point was how you and your family would accept her news.”

“I never thought the day would come when she’d be afraid to tell me something. But I suppose this wasn’t any small thing. Give me a chance to absorb it all... Once I get over being shocked I can congratulate her properly. I can’t say I don’t look forward to another grandchild. Amelie will be thrilled after she passes out.”

Friedrich Seagram suddenly laughed out loud. “Maybe Katie’s right. I taught her myself it’s your actions that matter, not what anyone else thinks of them. We know what kind of woman she is, that’s good enough for me. Society can say what they want.”

Kate found something to eat in the kitchen and asked for the small carriage to be prepared. After she ate she found Conrad and took him on a wider tour of the city, pointing out the historic homes and places well known to any who’d studied the War of Independence.

She gradually relaxed as they rode. Often she held onto his hand; although conscious of the open windows she was careful not to sit too close.

“I hope you don’t mind if I run a little errand,” she said finally. “Oddly, I feel like going to church.”

Conrad replies, “Not at all. I would have thought that you might want to speak to your late husband’s priest.”

“No, actually. What could I possibly have to say to him? We didn’t get on with one another when I lived here, I don’t imagine he’ll like me any better now.”

“Oh....well, then I’m confused? Why go there? Wouldn’t that Priest be there?”

“I don’t need to see a Priest. I just want to say a prayer to Diana. I thought I was prepared for my father to doubt me, but I must have been holding out hope. There is something about being in church that really makes you feel like the gods are listening. I hope she’ll help Papa see. Or if not, help me to accept that he won’t. I just hate the thought of him thinking I’m crazy, or lying.

I suppose the priest will be there. I hate giving him the satisfaction of seeing me there, but this is more important.”

Conrad says, “Well, why don’t we try a different church instead then, one where you won’t be recognized. I would love to see the Old North Church, where Paul Revere got the signal from his friend to alert the countryside that the British were mounting an attack against the colonial militia.”

Kate squeezed his hand. “Oh, that’s tempting. And it makes good sense. We can see something you’d like to, and I can say my prayers without making an extra trip.

I suppose I’ll have to face Tom’s priest eventually, but not today.”

Conrad says, “Kate, this trip has been stressful enough as it is, there is no need to add any further stress. So let’s head over to that church. I was able to pick up the train tickets. It departs rather early, 7:15 A.M., I hope that won’t be too much of a problem for you.”

“Not at all. I’ve gotten used to getting up early. We’ll get there with plenty of time left to enjoy the day and decide what to do in the evening.”

Kate rapped on the ceiling of the carriage and asked the driver to take them to the Old North Church. “The ride will take a little while,” she said and pulled the curtains shut, “and we can look on the way back.” Once they were free from prying eyes she settled her head on his shoulder with a sigh and closed her eyes.

The ride does take a while and Kate relaxes to a point of nearly falling asleep. Conrad places his hand gently upon her hair along the back of her head. He apparently thinks that she is sleeping as he very softly states.

“Rest well darling Kate. During the festival’s last dance I promised that from me you will never receive anything except for my endless flattery, eternal devotion and continuous protection. You suggested that I not make promises that I cannot keep. I hope that you may some day realize the sincerity of my words.”

“I do,” she said softly, just loud enough to reach his ear. She laid her hand gently on his chest. “I know you will keep those promises; but you can’t help but break the promise to give me nothing else. I know you will give me much, much more. I only hope I can give you as much.”

He is startled a bit to see that she wasn’t asleep but quickly recovers, gently stroking her hair as he says, “Kate....You give me a happiness that I have never known before. I love you.”

Kate lifted her face showing the imprint of his lapel on her cheek. Her eyes met his steadily as she confessed, “I love you, too.”

His eyes open wide upon hearing that pronouncement. For the first time since she’s met him Conrad appears to be at a total loss for words.

She softly lifted her hand to his cheek and lifted her face higher. Much as he had at the festival ball, Kate brushed her lips tenderly against his. “I will say a prayer to Aphrodite as well,” she finally whispered.

He replies, “No, allow me to. While you are under the protection of Diana your prayers should be to her alone, and certainly not to her rival.”

The carriage soon reaches the church.

“As you wish, my dear. You’re right, I owe my allegiance to Diana.”

Kate carefully recovered her public face as the carriage slowed and stopped. She checked her hair and dress to make sure everything was in place as Conrad stepped down, then offered his hand to help her. Arm in arm they walked to the church. Kate hesitated a moment when they reached the church door, but took a deep breath and stepped inside.

The driver discharged his passengers and then tied up the carriage to a post alongside Salem Street. They entered the large brick building with the large white wooden steeple atop that was the oldest Greek and Roman church building in the city. The steeple itself was not original, having been replaced following the destruction of its predecessor in the hurricane of 1804. But the remainder of the church remained much as it had been since its construction in 1723.

orchid blossom

Explorer
Encounters

Services were not being held now and there appeared to be only three other people inside. One was a young male priest, who was speaking to a well dressed gentleman in the far corner of the church. The other person was a young girl of perhaps fifteen seated in the second pew near the front of the church. It appeared to Kate that the girl was softly crying to herself.

"It's been a long time," Kate said softly to Conrad. "I'm not sure I quite remember what to do. The priest might give you a tour when he's finished talking to the gentleman. Why don't we go wait at the front of the church?"

Kate led Conrad forward and sat down in the front pew to wait, getting a look at the young girl in the second pew.

Conrad excused himself from Kate and went to the front of the Chruch and kneeled down before the altar.

Kate noticed that the dark haired girl looked to be of Irish descent. She wore a dress of a design and style typically worn by the well-to-do of the area, except that the dress also showed signs of wear and some stitching to indicate that repairs have been made to it. The girl's eyes had a cloudy look to them and Kate deduces that the girl is blind.

Kate pulled out her handkerchief and moved back to the second pew. She laid it in the girl's hand, saying, "Here, sweetheart. Are you alright? Would you like me to get someone for you?"

The girl turns her head and Kate confirms that she is blind. She replies, "No Ma'am, there is nobody. I am alone. I am sorry if I disturbed you."

She gestures towards the far corner with the man and the priest and says, "Director Anagnos did not feel it safe to leave me alone today so brought me with along with him for his errands. He says that he will be meeting with the Priest for the next hour."
"You didn't disturb me, I just arrived. Director Anagnos? He must be the gentleman talking with the Priest. Is he the director of a school?"

She replies, "Yes, the Perkins Institution for the Blind, in the southern part of the city. This week is Spring Recess and the other students have all gone home to their families. My father was a drunkard and abandoned our family, our mother died of Tuberculosis."

She pauses and then continues, "My brother Jimmie and I stayed with Cousin Statia for a while but she did not want us. We were sent to almshouse at the Massachusetts State Infirmary up in Tewksbury...the poorhouse. It was an awful place...mostly sick elderly...buildings teeming with rats. Jimmie died there.

A year ago fall the Massachusetts State Board of Charities conducted an investigation of the conditions there. I approached them and before the Infirmary Director could pull me away I blurted out that I wanted to go to school. The men spoke to me and then got the Perkins Institution to admit me as a charity case."

Kate took the girls hand in her own. "You have had a terrible time, but you stood up for yourself and it seems things are getting better now. I have a girl myself who was orphaned, and like you she is determined to make a better life for herself. Perhaps I might have a word with your director before he leaves. What's your name, dear?"

"Annie...Annie Sullivan. No, there is nothing to say to him. He is a good man and wishes the only best for me. The other children at school tease me all the time, usually about the age difference. I'm sixteen but since I never had a formal education before am in classes with children of seven and eight."

Kate is surprised by that comment. She initially thought the girl to be fifteen but upon looking closer had concluded that she was younger than that. As with Ginnie, poverty had stunted the girl's physical development.

She sobs "I must sound so ungrateful, I have been blessed with opportunities at the school that I would have never had up in Tewksbury. An education...and a caring doctor, Doctor Bradford. He performed an operation on my eyes last summer but it didn't help. He said that he would try again this next summer.

It's just hard on me during weeks when everybody else is away. And it will soon be summer, that is the hardest as the school is closed and the almshouse won't take a girl of my age back, not that I would go. I spent last summer as a maid at Clark's rooming house in Boston's south end. It was the only place that Director Anagnos could find for a blind Irish girl."

"You don't sound ungrateful at all. It's hard to be alone, and in your school with no one close to your age it must be that much harder. I have a friend who is attending high school and he is in his twenties.

I only wanted to talk to your director because I have some things I could donate to your school if they're needed. I'm going away for a couple days tomorrow, but I thought I might send my girl Ginnie over with a few things. I'm sure you'd like to meet her. I think you and she would have a lot in common.

I could also put the director in touch with some people who might know of other job opportunities for you for the summer."

She says, "Oh, that would be so kind of you. But why would you do that for a poor, blind Irish girl who you never met before?"

"Many reasons, dear. Because when I was alone in Arizona after my husband died people helped me just out of kindness. Because my husband was Irish and so is my adopted daughter. Because I am going to be a schoolteacher myself when I return to the West, and I hope the people with the power to help my students will do so. And because I think you are a brave girl who deserves more chances.

Now, I have a few prayers to say, but don't let your director leave before I get to have a word, alright?"

"Alright....Thank you very much," she states.

Kate stayed a few moments and squeezed the girls' hand, then stood up and walked forward to the altar. She took a stick of incense and carefully lit it in the candle flame burning there, then slipped it into the holder and knelt down beside Conrad.

She began with the words Priestess Florencia has used in the desert ceremony. "Diana, goddess of the moon who shines her light upon us in our darkest hours, goddess of fertility, nurturer of life, I acknowledge you and pay you tribute. Grant me the ability to nurture others without the need for understanding, as does a mother to her child. Shine your light upon our path. Guide and protect the love which grows within each of us.

Diana, I treasure the gift you have given myself and my husband. It brings me more joy than I can begin to describe. Your protection wraps around my spirit every day.

Diana, the truth of your gift is not easy for others to see. I knew it would be so, but I find my strength to bear it waning. Please help my family see the truth. If it is not possible, help me find the strength to accept that those I love may never believe. Bring your nurturing spirit to their hearts so they may love my son without reservation."

Kate hears a woman's voice state, "You ask much of me Katherine."

Kate looks up to see a woman standing before her. The brown eyed woman stands around five-foot-eight with brownish-black hair tied back in a pony tail. Her shapely figure is contained within a brown leather tunic over hunter-green woolen leggings and full-length shirt. She has boots and belt of brown leather that match the tunic. Strapped to the woman's back is a quiver of arrows with an unstrung longbow attached to it. Kate's eyes are drawn to the woman, but in her peripheral vision she also notes that Conrad and the other people in the room are all now frozen in place like statues, as though time itself has stopped.

Kate felt her eyes fill and then brim over with tears. She couldn't seem to look away even though she knew she was staring. An apology was on her tongue, but something told her 'I'm sorry' was the wrong thing to say.

"Yes Lady, more than I should. Your gift is so great..... I have received more from your hands than I can ever repay. To ask more..." she stopped and shook her head. "Yet every time I look into the eyes of someone I love and see the worry and doubt it breaks my heart. Papa always said to take comfort in faith, but faith is new to me. I am struggling to learn how."

Diana replies, "Faith is interesting thing child, it differs from person to person. But know this, unlike others of Olympus, I do not attempt to directly influence the minds of mortals. They will need to each come to their own realizations. You should grant your father some time. He is a man of strong faith. If he or you mother continue to have doubts I could deliver them a message through their clergy.

Regarding the protection that I have given to you, do not flaunt it. I will be displeased if I see you intentionally putting yourself into situations of grave danger under the mistaken notion that you are invulnerable. But that does not mean that you should run and hide if danger should find itself upon you. You should continue to be yourself, I can ask for nothing less.

And as for the first part of your prayer, your request to 'Grant me the ability to nurture others without the need for understanding, as does a mother to her child', that is who you are. You have just demonstrated that ability with this young blind girl.

While the future itself is uncertain and changeable, if events continue for this girl along the path that you have now set into motion, your nurturing to others will extend to the hundreds of thousands if not millions. Annie Sullivan's next operation will be a success, she will see again. With the guidance of your family she will make it her life's work to help those who society has abandoned, and she will be considered by many to be a miracle worker. The story of her work with a blind and deaf girl will become a best selling book and also a play. It will inspire all of those who read or see it.

So yes Katherine, I have granted both you and Thomas a great gift. All that I ask of you in return is that you raise him to share the faith that you now have and to share your outlook towards life."

"Our son will know you," she said fervently. "And I will teach him to do those kindnesses wherever he can. If we all did, imagine how different the world would be. It's the world I would wish for him, but we must help make it."

Kate looked back over her shoulder. "There is something special in Miss Sullivan. She has so much strength. To lose her family, her sight, to live in such a horrible place and still have the ability to stand up for herself is extraordinary. I'm not surprised to hear that she could do so much good in the world. If what little I can do can help her on her way, I'm well repaid."

She turned back and looked unabashedly into the goddess' face. "I'm so grateful for your protection. I hope the danger has passed, and I did the best I could to keep myself safe without abandoning my companions. I must be my own best protection and trust in you after I have done everything in my power to be safe.

I will do as you say and give my family time. It was such a difficult morning, and strange to feel doubt between Papa and I. I didn't know where to turn for comfort, so I came here. A message through the clergy was all I had hoped for; I would never wish for you to influence their minds. I have been the victim of such influence and I would never wish it on another. I only hope I have not earned Aphrodite's rancor by rejecting her gifts and keeping my heart and mind my own."

"Fear not the wrath of Aphrodite. She knows that you are now under my protection, which my meeting with you directly will clarify to her. Centuries ago in Elizabethan England she interfered directly with the life of a mortal here on earth who my twin brother Apollo had aided. Our father Zeus was needed to intervene to right the situation and Aphrodite was punished by Zeus. I doubt she would dare attempt that again.

I will take leave of you now Katherine. We may never meet again but I will continue to keep watch over you and your child. Continue to be who you are and do as you think best."

Kate began to stretch out her hand before she remembered it was unlikely she could or should touch a goddess. "Thank you, for everything. For my son, for hearing my prayer, for helping me find faith. I think.... I think I shall be well. I will do my best and take comfort knowing you are watching over us."

The deity states "Then good day to you then Katherine. I will now return to my tracking. We deities still need to keep up with our skills and the remote forests within your state of Maine provide many an opportunity for me to do so." The goddess fades from view and time resumes its normal course.

As time flowed back to normal, Kate felt as if something had been gripping her and suddenly let go. Her body sagged and her backside thumped down onto her heels. Her breath came hard and fast as she stared silently at where the goddess had been.

A moment later she turned her head toward Conrad, curious if he had noticed anything.

Kate found Conrad still focused on his prayer. How strange that she who had turned away from the gods, and he who had never believed in them should end up here.

When she felt steadier, Kate got herself up and onto a pew in the first row. At first she thought the church looked different, but slowly she realized that it was her. "We'll be alright, little one," she whispered quietly with her hand protectively over her stomach. Her doubts, while not completely vanquished, no longer pained her. Instead, she felt whatever anyone believed; the little family she and Ginnie had started would be fine.

Enjoying this new sense of well-being, Kate waited patiently for Conrad to finish his prayer and the Director and the Priest to finish their discussion.

Mr. Anagnos, a middle aged man with a wide white mustache, concludes his business with the priest. He turns and begins to walk in the direction of the pews.

Kate brought her head back down from the clouds and approached the gentleman.

"Excuse me, Mr. Anagnos? My name is Katherine Kale. I had the opportunity to speak with Miss Sullivan for a few moments and she told me about your school. I wonder if I might speak to you for a moment?"

The Director looked back toward his student and seeing she was alright turned back to Kate. "Of course, ma'am. What can I do for you?"

"I'd like a chance to help out if I can. You might notice I'm not very big. I have quite a few dresses that should do quite well for Miss Sullivan if you'd accept them. She also mentioned working over the summer months. My father, Friedrich Seagram, is in business and knows many people. If you will allow it, I could have him make some inquiries about more interesting employment for her. And if I know my Papa, he will be interested in doing much more."

Mr. Anagnos expresses his interest to her and suggests that her father make an appointment with him to tour the school. He asks the Priest to get him some paper while he takes out his fountain pen. He writes out his name, the school's address and its telephone number, handing the paper to Kate.

He comments, "Owning and operating one of Mr. Bell's telephone devices is an extravagance that the school really cannot afford, but the families of a number of the financially well-to-do families actually have them in their homes and desire to speak daily to their offspring. For those children without sight and living away from home hearing the voice of a loved one brings such happiness that I now consider having one of the devices a necessity."

While the telephone has only been in existence for a mere six years, Kate recalls that many of the successful businesses in the city have now installed them for their offices, including that of her father.

"What a blessing for your students," she said with a smile. "I will have my father get in touch with you, his business has invested in the telephone as well. I'm sure he'll be very interested in your work, as I am. Let him know if you would like anything from the western states which I might be able to get for you. Good luck, Mr. Anagnos," she finished and shook his hand. "I hope I'll see you again."

Kate took a few steps back to the second pew, making sure to make a bit of noise as she did so. "It was a pleasure to meet you. I hope you will get to meet my girl Ginnie in the next few days. Good luck, Miss Sullivan." She patted the girl's shoulder, then turned back to where the Priest was still hovering.

"My friend is very interested in the history of the church. Perhaps you'd give us a little tour before we're on our way. If my friends has finished his prayers, that is," she finished and looked over her shoulder toward Conrad.

Conrad has finished his devotions and is now standing and watching Kate. The Priest follows her over to him and introductions are made.

The Priest takes them on a tour of the building. He explains that "The structure was build in 1723. In 1722, it had been decided that King's Chapel, a small wooden building that was the branch of the Greek and Roman Church of England was proving to be inadequate for the growing number of believers in Boston. That church was located near Boston Common. This site was pasture land. It was chosen due to being near Copp's Hill, the highest elevation in the North End, and also close to the wharfs and warehouses of sea captains and merchants settling in the area.

Timber came from forests around York, Maine, and bricks were fashioned in kilns in nearby Medford, Massachusetts. The first stone was laid by April 15, 1723, by the Rector of King's Chapel, the Reverend Samuel Myles. The building took twenty-two years to complete, with a brick belfry tower twenty-four feet square surmounted by a steeple or spire added seventeen years after the laying of the foundation stone."

They continue to walk through the building and up to the towers where he tells of the wooden pews and traditional foot warmers still used this day, of the brass chandeliers that were a gift of Captain William Maxwell and first lit on Christmas Day 1724, of the first church bells heard in North America that were installed in the original tower in 1745 and salvaged after the hurricane destroyed it.

They then ascend the tower, where he describes the now famous events that transpired on April 18th of 1775 which began the war of the revolution.

"It's a beautiful church," Kate said, looking down from the tower. "And it must be a great honor to be the Priest to care for it. Thank you for allowing us to see it." She smiled over to Conrad. "The trip was well worth it. Is this church still highly attended?"

The Priest replies, "Oh yes, very much so." The tour continues for another twenty minutes after which the Priest thanks them. Conrad hands the man a $ 20 bill as a donation to the church. They return to the carriage.

Kate almost closed the curtains again, but decided a bit of propriety was probably in order and left them open. She settled herself companionably on the seat with a gentle smile on her face. "You spent quite a while at prayers. I never know quite what to do, myself. I think I figured it out, though."

Conrad replies, "Well, this praying stuff is all new to me too. Theater folk tend not to be very religious, especially given that we're usually all asleep when Sunday services are going on. But I had so much to now be thankful for that I figured I'd make up for nearly three decades of lost time. Plus, I needed to ask for help regarding tomorrow. I suspect that this won't be an easy reunion."

"Probably not. If we're lucky, Mr. Twain will have been back to New York already and Mr. Booth may be more receptive. But considering he was going down the Mississippi first.... Do you realize how brave it is of you to try again? Just remember, if he still refuses to see the truth the greater loss is his. He has a son to be proud of, and he does himself a great disservice by denying you."

She lightened the mood with a smile and said, "And I plan to continue sleeping in on Sunday mornings. I honor Diana, I don't need services for that." She took his hand. "It's good to hear you have much to be thankful for. So different from when I first met you."

"Well, my meeting you is what I'm most thankful for. You've changed my life so much for the better."

"You've done the same for me, my dear. My heart was so bruised I was trying to hide it. I might have had a very lonely life if I hadn't met you."

He embraces her.

He comments, "As for sleeping in on Sunday's, I wouldn't worry too much about that. I have a suspicion that the Permanent Pastor of Promise City's church will be open to allowing the congregation to each worship as they see fit."

Kate settled into his arms with a sigh. "I intend to worship exactly as I please, no matter who has something to say about it. Priests do not have the only voices to which the gods listen."

The two cuddle together for the ride back through the city. Conrad separates as they near the Seagram household.

"Am I mussed?" Kate asked in a rare moment of vanity as she checked her hair and dress. She pinned her hat back on, and by the time the carriage stopped a very proper Mrs. Kale disembarked. She and Conrad went quietly inside. "I think we've missed lunch, and I need to eat so I'd best head to the kitchen. Thank you for going with me. You helped make a difficult day much better," she said, conscious that here other ears might be present.

Katherine was busy the rest of the day. After her lunch she again spoke to her father, this time about the Perkins institute and Miss Sullivan. As she suspected, he was very interested in the school and was quickly making plans to visit. She knew that she couldn't continue sending every person in need she met to her father, but on this occasion his resources could do much more than hers.

orchid blossom

Explorer
New York City

Katherine was busy the rest of the day. After her lunch she again spoke to her father, this time about the Perkins institute and Miss Sullivan. As she suspected, he was very interested in the school and was quickly making plans to visit. She knew that she couldn't continue sending every person in need she met to her father, but on this occasion his resources could do much more than hers.

The rest of the afternoon until dinner she spent out in the gardens with Ginnie. They took a close look at many of the plants growing there, sat in shady corners to read stories, and Kate even took a turn on the old swing still hanging from a tree near the back garden wall. During the course of the afternoon Kate told her about Miss Sullivan and their similar stories, saying that her father would be going there and if she liked so could go along.

She had a hearty appetite at dinner, and afterward she told her mother and brothers about her news. It had taken her some time, but she finally learned not to tell the whole story. Only the reasons the miracle had been granted without the how of it, talking mostly about the tug of war the deities had in Promise City to explain how Diana noticed them.

"I knew it!" her mother had exclaimed, then rushed over to embrace her. In her ear she whispered, "A full-grown woman's bosom does not grow for any other reason."

"Maman!" Kate turned to look at her brother Henry's face. Concerned, serious, yet with an understanding in his eyes. "Henry?"

Her elder brother stood up and walked over to her. A gentle hand brushed a stray hair from her face. "You're happy, little sister?"

"Very happy," she said, with glistening eyes.

"The gods didn't abandon us that day, Jacqueline. It was the work of foolish men who had forgotten the gods themselves," he whispered and wrapped his arms around her. "I believe you."

Kate squeezed him tightly back. "Thank you."

After a while alone with her first family, the other joined them for a quiet night of conversation and a little bit of music. Kate and Conrad both headed to bed early, but before Kate went to sleep she gathered many of her simpler dresses to be taken for Miss Sullivan. She checked in on Ginnie and brushed her hair as her mother had done for her a couple nights before. The last thing she did was say another prayer of thanks to Diana before she slipped into her bed and a sounder slumber than she'd had in many weeks.

Tuesday, May 2nd, 1882:

Still somewhat on Arizona time, Kate and Conrad both had no difficulty in rising in time to be ready to head off to the train station. The carriage deposited them at the station at 7:10 A.M. allowing ample time to board the train departing at 7:30 for New York City.

Kate felt a bit silly with her trunk for an overnight trip, but for this particular trip she just hadn't been sure what she was going to need. The porters took the full the trunk and she and Conrad boarded the train and got themselves comfortable before it left the station.

"I'm in your hands now," she said. "Do you have a plan for what we'll do once we get to the city?"

Conrad says, "We'll improvise, probably get us a bite to eat and then head up to the Player's Club. I'm still a bit tired from yesterday, so think I'll take a nap now. Please awaken me prior to the train passing over the Connecticut River Bridge."

"Yesterday was a," she paused, looking for the right word. "A momentous day. Get your rest, Conrad. Let me watch over you for once." She smiled and pulled a book out of the small bag she had carried onto the train with her. "I'll let you know when we're nearing the river."

The journey proves peaceful, as the train rolls out of the city. They pass by the commercial development and factories that have grown up in the west suburbs of Newton, Waltham and Framingham. The scenery beyond that is mostly rural farms just now being prepared for spring planting. A short while later they leave Commonwealth of Massachusetts behind them and cross over into Connecticut. In another half hour they are nearing the city of Hartford and the bridge that spans across New England's greatest river.
Kate enjoyed the quiet ride, spending a lot of her time just looking out the windows at the greening land. She missed this in the west...the freshness of spring when everything jumps back to life after the bleak winter. Arizona was beautiful in its own way, but this was home.

As they neared the river Kate laid her hand gently on Conrad's shoulder, suspecting that he was not deeply asleep. "The bridge is coming up, dear."

He opens his eyes and in with a partial yawn thanks her. He then stands and says, "I'm going for a walk if you'd care to join me."

"Of course," she said with a little question in her voice. "These trips get long and a little walk is always nice."

Kate initially assumes that Conrad is talking about talking a walk at the West Hartford train depot on the opposite side of the river. Instead he leads her to the back car of the train while it is still in motion, and opens the door to the rear platform while the train is still in motion.

He steps out onto the railed platform, still holding Kate's hand and pulls her after him. He shuts the door behind them as the train begins to cross the bridge over the river. When they are around mid-way along the span he lets go of her hand and reaches into his vest pocket.

"Are we supposed to be out here?" Kate asked, laughing lightly. She looked out over the river as they rushed over the bridge. "It is stunning."

Kate felt him let go of her hand and turned back, using her hand to hold her hat on her head. He was reaching into his pocket. "Conrad?"

He removes his cupped hand from his pocket, holding something inside of it. He reaches over and says, "Hold out your hand, dearest Kate."

With her left hand still holding her hat steady, Kate put her hand under his palm up. "What is this?" she asked wonderingly.

And into her hand he drops.....a bullet.

He says, "It's the one that Mr. Ringo had customized with my name. Would you please do the honor of ridding our lives of it."

"You've been carrying this with you? My dear, why? How did you get it?"

"Mr. Gonzales kept the ones with Sonoma and Ginnie's names on them, but the ones targeted with my name and the one for Deputy Martin he gave to each of us to dispose of as we saw fit. Up until this trip it's been locked inside of my house safe. I considered tossing it into Boston Harbor last night but didn't want to break the mood by talking of unpleasant things."

Kate looked down at the name expertly etched on the side with a shiver. "I will be more than happy to be rid of it."

"Then toss away my dear, where none will ever be able to find or use it."

She looked at the bullet again, more aware now of the precious thing it had been meant to steal from her. Looking up she met Conrad's eyes and a smile came to her face. She pulled her arm back and flung the bullet out over the water, watching until it fell with a splash into the river far below and sank out of sight.

"No more Cowboys to hunt us," she said softly. "No one left to wish us harm."

Conrad replies, "Well, perhaps one person...we'll see how he feels this afternoon about our unannounced visit."

Kate laid her hand in his again. "We shall. I keep trying to find something to say, some comfort for you to lessen your nerves. But there is none. Only that I will be with you whether the results are good or bad, if that is a comfort."

"It is, thank you." The two return back inside as the train pulls into the station.

Kate sighed as they took their seats again. There was so much more going on inside Conrad Booth than anyone suspected. She knew his heart to be warm and loyal, and she suspected bruised from the unkindness received in Promise City, and from his father. She feared it would be bruised the worse after their visit.

"Now it is my turn to nap," she said when the train pulled out again. "Be sure to wake me when we reach the outskirts of the city."

Conrad gently shakes Kate saying, "It is time to wake up my dear. We are arriving at Manhattan Island." Kate lifts her head up to see that they are indeed arriving at Grand Central Depot. Built between the years 1869 and 1871 when Commodore Vanderbilt was in charge of the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad, the elaborate terminal on 42nd street had served city well since that day. A large clock on the Depot wall indicated that the time was now 12:45 P.M.

Kate blinked and sat up straight. "I'm sure I'm all mussed," she chuckled. Once she was fully awake she got her bag and looked curiously about her. "It's been a long time since I was here, I'm not sure I remember everything. We'll have to get my trunk."

The two debarked the train together, and soon a porter was found and Kate's trunk retrieved. "Should we find rooms somewhere first, or would you rather just head to the club?"

"Let's get settled first." He locates a porter and then flags down a coach and supervises the loading of the trunk. He then has the driver take them to the Fifth Avenue Hotel.

Once considered the finest of accommodations in the city, this hotel was one of the first in the world to have a functioning elevator, with it being built in the 1850's. While the city of New York now offers more luxurious accommodations for the wealthy it remains the equal to the finest hotels in smaller cities and with the possible exception of a few places in San Francisco is far nicer than anything else west of the Mississippi River.

Conrad asks for two adjacent rooms on an upper floor, removing a roll of bills from his money clip. He attempts to stand between Kate and the clerk so that she can not see how much he is paying for these, but she sees enough to conclude that this night here will cost the gambler in excess of $ 100.

A bellhop with a wheeled cart helps them with Kate's trunk and Conrad's suitcase as they head upstairs via the elevator to the sixteenth floor. The bellhop shows them to the rooms, each of which is a three-room suite with a living area, bedroom, and opulent bathroom. Each has electric lights, running water and the finest of furnishings.

Conrad says, "Why don't you get yourself freshened up. I will meet you in an hour and we can then go find ourselves somewhere nice to eat." The bellhop suggests that they dine at Lord Barstow's Restaurant just a few doors down from the hotel and offers to make a reservation for them. Conrad finds that agreeable and suggests a 3:00 P.M. seating.

Kate nodded her agreement and disappeared inside her spectacular rooms. The dark, polished wood of the furniture gleamed in the light from the windows and set the rich garnet of the upholstery to shimmering. She ran her hand along the fabric and felt the luxuriousness of it. With hardly a thought her shoes were removed and her feet feeling the deep plush of the carpet.

In contrast to the rich, red-papered floral wallpaper of the sitting room, the bedroom was a soft, restful blue. The bed was wide enough for three to sleep comfortably and surrounded by privacy curtains that would keep out any stray drafts that might disturb the sleeper. Kate hung her dresses is the massive, gleaming wardrobe and tucked her small box of jewelry away in the vanity.

The gleaming white bathroom was tempting her with its large bathtub, but there was not time for that luxury just now. Instead Kate sat down at the vanity and began her "freshening." Her hair was unpinned and carefully brushed, then pinned back up in a soft, complex style. She then chose an afternoon dress of deep violet with a v-neckline made appropriate by a gauzy white scarf that covered what the neckline would have exposed. The gown was far above anything but the evening dresses she had worn in Promise City, and when Kate looked in the mirror she saw the Lady who had disappeared in Arizona. Whether that Lady was her anymore, she wasn't sure; but it was good to see her again.

The hour was almost up, and Kate went back out into the sitting room to wait for her escort.

Conrad arrived shortly thereafter. He was attired in what appeared to be a brand new three-piece suit of navy blue with pin-stripes with a pattern of gold embroidery in the navy blue vest. His white silk shirt also appeared to be new, as is the navy and red patterned silk tie. Only his belt and shoes appeared to be those that she had seen previously, but both of them were newly polished with a shine on the black leather. The other change in appearance was that he shaved off again the goatee and mustache which he had grown back since the festival.

"Katherine, I have never seen you looking any more radiant than you do right now. It is my great honor to escort you to dinner," he states.

"Thank you," Kate said with a pretty blush. She picked up a large black straw hat covered in roses that matched the dress and pinned it on her head at an angle, then walked over to Conrad. Her hand reached up and touched his strangely smooth face. "You look remarkably well yourself. I hope you'll grow this back, I rather like the whiskers."

He replies, "Yes, but it was necessary now, just as it was the day of the Festival. If you wish it to be grown back then I will do so. I believe that Mr. Gonzales could help in making that so prior to our return to Arizona.

As for my appearance, I would not have considered this meeting in anything except the finest of clothing. I was thankful yesterday morning that your father was able to recommend one of Boston's best clothiers, who not only had something in my size in stock and was willing to do the alterations right then."

"You've been very busy, and talking to Papa on your own.

I understand the necessity. In fact, I expect to be quite stared at in the restaurant. The whiskers will grow back in their own time and I can be a patient woman." She slipped her arm in his.

"I hope my gown is fine enough?" She paused. "How will you introduce me to your father?"

He pauses and asks, "How would you like me to introduce you?"

"I don't know," she said honestly. "Is there a word that fits? Ruby always calls Jake her boyfriend, but 'girlfriend' seems wrong. We're grown people and.... I don't know. But I'm sure whatever we say, he will notice how things stand before long."

She walked out of the room with him and locked her door. "Let's go to dinner. We'll think better with food in our stomachs."

He follows her out and states, "No Katherine, this question that you raise needs an answer. I know how I would like to introduce you.....but given the emotional turmoil of this trip East I'd say that now is not the appropriate time for either of us to be making long-term decisions about our future together. Why don't I introduce you to him as a very dear friend of mine. That is truthful and should suffice, he can assume from that whatever he wishes."

"I agree. Whatever else I am, I am your friend too. For now, let's just enjoy each other and our time together. It won't be often when we are alone together with this much freedom."

"That is true. Plus I have always wanted to try out this particular restaurant. The one thing that I miss most about living in Arizona is the chance to eat freshly caught fish. In San Francisco it was plentiful. I'm not sure exactly what will be on the menu but can't wait to taste it as long as it came from the Ocean."

"Oh, it's been ages," she said excitedly. "I hadn't even thought of that. I'm starved, let's hurry."

Lord Barstow's Restaurant is on the first two floors of an eight-story building, the upper floors housing a number of successful Manhattan businesses including several financial institutions and the New York City office of Lloyds of London.

The restaurant has an elaborate lobby taking up both stories, with a marble fountain in the lobby center and marble staircases heading up both sides to the private dining rooms on the second floor. The ground floor has one large main dining room a smaller one off to the east side, and multiple doors into the kitchens in the back.

Conrad gives the host his name and they are escorted to a table near the stained glass windows and velvet curtains adorning the north wall. Despite being after the lunch hour and well before the dinner hour the restaurant is packed.

Above the main fireplace is an elaborate ten-by-fourteen foot portrait of the member of British Royalty who had established the restaurant. He had once resided in Manhattan until a scandal arose due to an affair that he had with the underage step-daughter of an important politician. He then sold his interest in the restaurant and returned to Great Britain, but the new owners chose to retain the original name due to the popularity of the establishment.

"I feel like a little country girl," Katherine said after they were settled. "Boston has it's splendors, but this... My parents didn't take us children to such places, and after I was married we didn't have the means for this kind of extravagance."

She opened the menu they were given and immediately looked to the seafood. Of course, the menu had no prices, but Kate was determined not to drain Conrad's pocketbook too much and considered carefully.

Conrad says, "I'm not sure....either the swordfish or the Atlantic salmon. What do you think?"

"I've never had Swordfish, but I adore salmon. Get the swordfish for yourself. You can always have a taste of my salmon if you get the urge to try it."

He laughs, "Oh sure, restaurants like this would just love to see people sharing food from each other's plates. That would get us blackballed from all of the society pages. Let me handle this."

The waiter arrives and he says, "We can't decide between the salmon or swordfish. Would it be possible for you to bring us a small sample of each?" The waiter says, "Sir, this is highly irregular." He replies, "Perhaps, but I'd venture to bet that ordering a bottle of 1857 Bourdeax is also somewhat irregular, but that is what I would like to drink." The man replies, "Very good sir. The wine and the food will be right out."

"And were you worried about society, dear?," she asked after the waiter had gone. "That was very clever, but the wine! I'm sure it will be wonderful but I doubt the two of us could finish a whole bottle," she finished, suddenly remembering herself and stopping herself from mentioning the expense.

"Thank you. A better treat I can't imagine."

"Actually a bottle will be just about right, provided of course that you share it with me. I'm going to need some alcohol to calm my nerves and relax me enough to actually go through with this visit. And by ordering something expensive I won't be tempted to order second bottle once it's gone."

"Of course I'll share it with you. Be careful though, you still want your mind to be clear. You're not alone this time; lean on me a bit." She paused and smiled. "I will just bless my luck that I get to be the lady you share it with."

"The luck is all mine," he states in reply. The bottle of wine is soon brought to the table and uncorked. It meets with Conrad's approval and a glass is poured for both. It is followed soon thereafter by a seafood appetizer plate for each, that in addition to the swordfish and salmon also includes an oyster, a breaded cod filet and a broiled piece of halibut.

Along with the excellent wine and delightful seafood, Kate let her conversation drift to lighter things, hoping to take Conrad's mind off what came after this dinner. She enjoyed the food unabashedly, finally saying. "Thank heavens I've got my appetite back. What a shame if I could only nibble, but Maman would be horrified," she laughed. "Well, maybe not. Knowing what she knows now, she'd probably be giving me more."

The waiter returns to take their full orders, Conrad asking for a plate of the salmon. The meal also includes freshly baked bread, a garden salad, a baked potato with cheese sauce, and a vegetable medley.

Near the end of the meal Conrad comments to Kate "Is that somebody who you know?" as he gestures his head to the side. She looks over to see a trio of old men with scraggly white beards and dark suits. One of the men is staring at Kate and begins to walk in that direction, the other two men following him. He does look familiar but Kate cannot place exactly where she has seen him before.

"I've seen him before, but I can't think where. Or why he would be interested in me. It looks as though we'll be finding out." Kate set down her fork and delicately dabbed at her lips with her napkin as if she hadn't noticed them, but was ready to receive them politely when they arrived.

The men arrive and the man introduces himself as being Walt Whitman. He says to Kate, "Miss Seagram, your father spoke eloquently at the private service for Mr. Emerson on Sunday." He introduces the other two gentlemen as his brothers George Washington Whitman and Thomas Jefferson Whitman. George comments to Kate that he served with her father in the war, at Fredricksburg. He asks, "And what brings you to my city?"

Katherine stood and nodded to each man as he was introduced. "Thank you, Mr. Whitman. Mr. Emerson was loved by my family and will be very much missed."

She turned to George. "My father has spoken of you, sir, and very well I might add. My friend has family business here, and I could not resist the chance to visit New York City while I was near. I reside in Arizona now, so you see I must seize my opportunity while I can.

May I introduce you to my dear friend, Mr. Conrad Booth?"

Conrad greets them. They continue to talk and when it becomes obvious to the waiter that the conversion will continue he has three chairs brought over for the older men and they order coffee.

Walt Whitman comments that "I seem to be loosing all of my contemporaries. Henry Longfellow went to his great reward last month and now Ralph Emerson has passed on. I'll be happy for a month where I don't have a funeral to go to."

A shadow of the past flickered across Kate's face before she quickly hid it. "Yes, it seems so many extraordinary people have been called, and there was never enough opportunity to know them. But in these cases at least, we can always visit their spirits again by opening the works they left us.

Still, let us hope these bleak days will be followed by a bright spring. I will begin teaching school when I return to Arizona, and I'm looking forward to introducing the children to yourself and your contemporaries."

The conversation continues, with Conrad mostly listening while Kate and Walt dominate the discussion about 19th century authors.

After a while Thomas Whitman asks Conrad a question about how he likes the city. He mentions how impressed he is with it, alluding to the fact that he's only visited it once before. Walt picks up some level of apprehension and presses him further.

A glimmer that Kate recognizes crosses Conrad's eyes and he asks, "Mr. Whitman, are you familiar with the Player's Club?" The poet and author replies, "Why yes, I happen to be a member of it." Conrad briefly explains that he is a relative of the owner and wishes to discuss a personal matter with him but has concerns that the senior Booth may not be willing to receive him.

She couldn't say anything, instead looking to Conrad hoping he would understand not to push past taking an opportunity to using someone. Be honest, my dear.

Whitman comments, "So sir, do I understand that you are asking me to get you inside of the club as a guest of mine?"

Conrad replies, "No sir. I would not make such an imposition on you. I was only hoping that you could perhaps make an inquiry on my behalf. Last month when Katherine and I met Samuel Clemens he offered to do so on his next visit to the city. But first he was planning to take a journey on a riverboat along the Mississippi River, so he probably has not had a chance yet. This trip east from Arizona for Mr. Emerson's funeral was unanticipated, but as we were already in the region I was hoping to perhaps see him now instead of having to make another journey later.

Whitman nods and offers to make the inquiry. He then excuses himself from their company, leaving his brothers to talk to Conrad and Katherine. George Whitman asks Kate for an update about her father.

Kate's body relaxed even as she felt ashamed of herself for doubting Conrad's motives.

"He's well. This week has been difficult on all of us, and Papa tries to be strong for everyone.

He's been doing well the last few years. He only goes into the office a couple times a week now, the business pretty much runs itself. Instead he reads and studies, spends his time with men like Mr. Emerson. Today I believe he'll be visiting an institute for the blind. There is one particular student there who is very promising.

My eldest brother has two little daughters now that Papa absolutely adores...." Kate continued on just a little, sketching in the state of her family in general.

Whitman returns after ten minutes. He says, "The restaurant manager allowed me to use his Bell telephone and I spoke to Mr. Edwin Booth's secretary. I am invited to bring the two of with me to the Club as my guests early this evening. I will take leave of you now and bring my brothers back to their homes. I will return in approximately two hours time. Do you wish for me to gather the two of you here or at some other location?"

Conrad appears to be too shocked to immediately answer.

"Sir, that is very generous of you. We had not expected so much. Thank you. We're staying at the Fifth Avenue Hotel if you'd care to meet us there, downstairs in the lobby." Kate offered him her hand. "We are so grateful; I can't say how much.

Can you tell me, what is the formality of dress in the club? I wouldn't wish to offend by being inappropriately attired."

Whitman replies, "What you have on now would be fine. They are actually very flexible, as most of the Players' are artists. The stated purpose of the club is 'The promotion of social intercourse between members of the dramatic profession and the kindred professions of literature, painting, architecture, sculpture and music, law and medicine, and the patrons of the arts'. It is a very interesting Gentleman's club to belong too. Ladies may attend as guests but may not join as members."

"Well, I am happy at least to be able to be a guest amongst many I've admired. Arizona has many things, but it can be somewhat lacking in artists."

Kate turned to George. "I would be happy to carry a message to my father if you wish. And I'm confident Mr. Seagram would be pleased to see you at any time when you might be in Boston."

She turned back to Conrad. "Is everything agreeable to you?"

Conrad says, "Oh yes. Thank you very much Mr. Whitman, I don't know how to repay your kindness." Walt Whitman replies, "Nonsense, you are a friend of Emerson and the Seagram family.

George Whitman tells Kate, "I currently have some friends from the Army visiting the city, other officers who served in the engineering corps. Why don't you send along a telegram to your father and see if he would like us to take the train up to Boston for a visit."

"I will do that as soon as we return to the hotel. We are going back to Boston tomorrow; where shall I have him direct the return telegram?"

He gives his Brooklyn, New York address to her.

To Walt she said, "Should you arrive at the hotel early, just ask for Mr. Booth or Mrs. Kale."

"I shall," he replies. The Whitman brothers depart.

"Conrad, you're white as a sheet. Are you well?" she asked, smiling.

Conrad states, "I...I will be. I had anticipated being turned away at the Players Club, to know that he will actually see me.....well, I guess I'm a bit nervous. I think I'll pass on having desert. We should probably head back to the hotel."

"Of course, if you wish it." Kate reached across and took his hand. "You'll be fine, Conrad. Now you have a bit of time to think of what you'll say to him."

The waiter brings the bill, which Conrad again pays with his back turned to Kate so she cannot see the exact amount.

orchid blossom

Explorer
The Player's Club

They walk back to the Fifth Avenue Hotel hand-in-hand. He is visibly nervous and starting to perspire, something she had not seen since the day of the picnic that the Cowboy Gang were chasing them. She almost gets the impression that he would prefer to be in that situation than this one.

When they returned to the hotel Kate asked that tea be sent up to her room and they boarded the elevator.

"Why don't you come sit with me? Waiting is the hardest part and perhaps it will go the faster if you aren't alone."

"Thank you Kate. That was so kind of Mr. Whitman to offer to bring us there, but it also makes a commitment that I can't find an excuse out of. What....what if this is like eight years ago. He may deny me again. I know I have more now to fall back upon, but the thought of being rejected by my own father is still not an easy one to comprehend."

"It may be like it was before, which is why I so admire the courage it takes to try again. I'm sure he has had dishonest people trying to claim kinship with him, but your face should tell the truth more eloquently than any words.

If he denies you, he denies an idea. He denies his own behavior, perhaps he's ashamed of the way he acted as a young man. I'm sure your mother was not the only young woman he left thinking he loved her. If he has not changed over the years, remember that there are those who know and love you for who you are."

Arriving at her door, Kate unlocked it and led Conrad inside. By the time she had removed her hat the tea arrived, and Kate poured two fragrant, steaming cups. She sat down next to Conrad on the settee, and once her cup was empty she wrapped her arms around him and drew him down against her shoulder.

The time passes quickly. Conrad does not want to talk about the upcoming meeting and instead talks of the recent Boston visit and the blind girl. When it is time they head downstairs to the lobby.

Walt Whitman enters the Fifth Avenue Hotel and then approaches Kate and Conrad. They head outside to the waiting carriage. They ride through the city to the sixteen-room mansion that is home to the Player's Club. Whitman says, "I do not frequent the club myself but have attended and participated in readings there on a half dozen occasions. It is an admirable thing that Edwin Booth has done here to help spark and promote the arts. When he purchased the building it was a private residence but he has changed that considerably, with part of the building now being a theater."

"Do you know Mr. Booth well?" Kate asked. "I saw him perform Hamlet when I was a little girl, but I know nothing of him otherwise."

Whitman replies, "I have met him on several occasions now. I was initially reluctant to meet him due to the actions of his brother John. Two of my brothers had served in the war and I had visited them and their troops more than once and I was a very strong supporter of Lincoln. One of my better known poems, "O Captain, My Captain!" from the book Leaves of Grass was written due to President Lincoln's assassination. I wrote it as inspiration to country as a means to confront America's grief and loss.

However, I have discovered that Edwin is his own man and should not be painted with the same brush as his treasonous brother. In fact, one lesser know fact that I recently discovered was the in sixty-four, the year prior to the assassination, Edwin Booth saved the life of Lincoln's son Robert Todd Lincoln. The boy was standing on the platform at a crowded railroad terminal in Washington and lost his footing. He fell just as a train was coming into the depot. Edwin was there and reached down and pull young Lincoln back up just in time."

"He sounds like a good man then," Kate said with just a hint of confusion in her voice. "I'll be glad to meet him. It's a shame the actions of his brother have poisoned his name, but considering his Club, it seems there are enough people like you to overcome that."

Walt replies, "Edwin Booth made a name for himself long before the actions of his brother. He has endured living here in the north, under the constant barrage of criticism, based upon his own reputation. He is a strong man who is well respected by his peers."

Kate looked over at Conrad, resisting the urge to take his hand. "I'm anxious to meet him," she said simply.

Conrad just makes a half-hearted smile in response to Kate's comment. She senses that he continues to be very nervous.

The carriage reaches Gramercy Park and stops outside of the building bearing the sign 'Players Club'. They exit the carriage and approach the door, with the author telling the man at the reception table "Mr. Walt Whitman and guests". The man states, "Yes, we have been expecting you. If you would please follow me to Salon B." He leads them upstairs to a private room on the second floor.

They enter the room and the man closes the door behind him. The room twenty by twenty-five feet and has thick rich maroon carpeting on the floor. The room is filled with cherry wood furniture that is upholstered with the same gold and maroon patterned design as the window curtains. The room has three couches and eight individual chairs surrounding a pair of coffee tables. Corner tables are aligned in three of the four corners of the room. A fireplace currently with a fire burning inside it is along the northern wall. Large exterior windows are along the east and south walls, with the door that they entered along the west wall.

Also along the west wall is a large cherry wood china cabinet with glass doors that is filled with various plates and glasses. An open liquor cabinet beside it is filled with three-dozen bottles of various beverages. Adjacent to the cabinet is metal stand with a cherry wood bucket-shaped container with a brass and wood lid atop it. Conrad walks over towards that side of the room and from a distance of three feet glances briefly at the labels on the bottles. He then returns to Katherine's side.

Katherine slipped her arm though his, giving it a gentle squeeze and trying to keep her own nerves at bay. She prayed his nerves and uncertainty would not be replaced by pain in the next hour.

"Something interesting over there?" she asked by way of distracting him.

He replies, "Just looking at the labels. He's done well for himself, there are some rather expensive items sitting in that case. This must be one of the most important rooms within the building to be stocked as it is. The container on the pedestal shows beaded perspiration along the rim, so I would guess it is a filled ice bucket. It's probably just on account of Mr. Whitman's presence but he's going all out for this reception."

"Perhaps. One thing is for certain, it's not on account of me," she teased. "A warm welcome is a good sign, dear."

They have been inside the room for only five or six minutes when the door opens. A man and woman enter. It has been fifteen years since Kate last saw Edwin Booth but those years have been good to him and he remains as handsome as ever. Seeing him and Conrad together the resemblance is remarkable, with both of them having the exact same build, height, hair, eyes and facial features. Although Edwin is twice Conrad's age the two could probably pass for brothers. The woman is much younger, probably in her late teens or early twenties. Kate notes that she too shares many of the same facial features.

He approaches Walt Whitman, and warmly shakes his hand. Edwin Booth says, "Mr. Whitman, it is a pleasure to see you again. My daughter Edwina would like to show you some of the changes that we have done to the building since you last visited. We have also received donations of several pieces of artwork that you will probably wish to see as well. If you and your lady friend would care to accompany her I will speak with the other gentleman."

Conrad speaks up and says, "Sir, if it acceptable to you I would like for my friend Mrs. Kale to stay as well." The elder Booth glances towards Katherine.

"Sir," Kate said, nodding to the older man. "I would be pleased to remain, although I would miss the tour and the opportunity to make better acquaintance with your daughter."

"Very Well," Edwin states. Edwina and Walt leave the room, closing the door behind them. Edwin Booth gestures for Kate and Conrad to take a seat. He then walks over towards the China cabinet and removes three cut crystal glasses. that he then places on the white marble inlay on top of the cherry wood liquor cabinet. He removes the lid form the adjacent bucket and with a pair of silver tongs places cubes of ice into each of the three glasses. He then asks the pair, "What would you the two of you like to drink this evening?"

"Scotch," Conrad states. Edwin replies," I can offer you choice of a Glen Murray aged ten years, a Glen McIntyre aged eighteen years and a bottle from McKee, Kentucky that is aged twenty-two years." Conrad replies, "That is very tempting, Sir. The prospect of sampling an aged Appalachian double-malt brewed prior to the start of the Civil War is tempting indeed. Obtaining that must have been quite difficult for you and I am honored that you would offer it to me. However, I notice that the seal on that particular container is as of yet unbroken, so I will have some of the Glen McIntyre instead."

"And you Mrs. Kale?" the senior Booth asks.

"Just a little wine will do for me, thank you sir. You're very kind," she said as she took her seat. She had stayed for Conrad's sake, although she was uncomfortable being witness to such a private meeting. She took hope from his civil greeting and waited quietly.

The elder booth pours the drinks and places them onto a silver tray and brings it over to the coffee table in front of where Kate and Conrad are seated. He takes a seat opposite them and says, "Mr. Whitman informed my secretary that you were here in the northeast to attend the funeral of Ralph Waldo Emerson. How is it that you knew the author?"

Conrad replies, "He was a family friend of Mrs. Kale and she asked me to accompany her. It is a long journey from the Arizona Territory and would not have been safe for a young lady to travel that distance unescorted."

Edwin turns towards Kate and comments, "Mrs. Kale, You appear to be acquainted with a great many of our literary giants. Do you know many others or is the list limited to Emerson, Whitman and Clemens?"

"Mr. Emerson was a close friend of my family, sir. I have known him for as long as I can remember, and considered him more like an uncle than a friend. My father, Friedrich Seagram, served with Mr. Whitman's brother George in the Union Army. John Whittier is also a friend of the family, and we have acquaintance with most of the transcendentalist circle in Boston and Concord. We have the good fortune also to know some brilliant scientific minds.

It was an unexpected pleasure to have the chance to meet Mr. Clemens in Arizona."

Edwin Booth reaches his hand inside of his coat jacket and removes an envelope from the inside pocket. He removes from the envelope a letter and briefly glances over it. He states, "Mr. Clemens speaks very highly of you Mr. Booth. His letter describes the bravery that you demonstrated at the celebration to the gods, which he attended. He speaks of you placing yourself in grave danger against armed gunmen to protect your escort to the ball." He then looks up from the paper towards Kate and says, "Can I safely assume that reference is to you Mrs. Kale?"

Katherine tried without success to keep the blush from her cheeks.

"Yes, you can. And it wasn't the first time Mr. Booth protected my safety. It's a very long story, but the passing of my late husband left me living alone in Arizona. That, and my instinct to give assistance where I can led to a chain of events that put my friends and I in a very dangerous situation. The night of the ball, an enemy sought to disrupt the festivities. One of his men tried to grab me, and Conrad fought him off and moved me to safety.

Only a few days before we were chased overland for more than six miles by six members of the same group. Conrad drew their fire to give me a better chance at escape. Thankfully we both made it, as you can see."

He looks towards Conrad and says, "An impressive display of bravery. It is good to see that the days of chivalry are not all behind us." Edwin picks up his glass and takes a sip of his beverage.

He turns back to Conrad and states, "Mr. Clemens emphasizes that it was he, and not you, who brought up the notion of the two of us possibly being related to one another. He states that it was also his suggestion to write to me. But I have known from past experience that our dear Mark Twain is prone to...well...exaggerate. What can you tell me about this letter?"

Conrad replies, "Mr. Clemens had wanted to see where the outlaw Billy the Kid was slain by the group known as Arcade's Gang. That location was inside a building that I own. I gave him the tour and the details of that gunfight. Afterwards he spent another four hours with Mrs. Kale and myself. During that period of time a number of topics were discussed, my relation to you being just one of them. It was with my encouragement that he wrote to you on my behalf. I did not care for the way that our last meeting ended sir, and sincerely hoped for an opportunity to rectify the matter."

Edwin states, "And exactly what is it that you want from me Mr. Booth?"

Kate became busy with drinking her wine, trying to give the men at least a semblance of privacy. Still, she was curious to know just what Conrad did want. Or rather, what he thought could be achieved between a father and son who were strangers.

Conrad pauses and states, "First let me clarify that which I do not want. I am in no way seeking your money or your financial interest in this fine building. I have no doubt that you have bequeathed your estate to your only legitimate offspring, Miss. Edwina, and that is exactly how it should be." Edwin says, "Yes, with the passing of my second wife last year Edwina remains my sole heir. So if it is not my fortune that you seek then what are you after? To capitalize on my name?"

Conrad states, "No sir, I seek to establish myself in this world of my own accord. I do not pass myself off as being your son, but I will not deny the truth when it is asked of me. I saw in one of the rooms downstairs there was a portrait of you, attired as the villain Iago from Othello, apparently taken around when you were the age that I am now. Sir, that could be my portrait, our appearance is identical.

Regarding the Booth name, it is my legal name and has been for my entire life. There have been many times where I would have been better off not to have it, due to the actions of your brother John. There are places where I live now that I am not welcome to enter solely because of my last name. But it is the name that my mother was proud to give to me and I will wear it until the day I perish from this earth."

Edwin nods and takes another sip from his drink. He then states, "You still have not answered my question."

Kate looked over at Conrad, surprised and proud of his acceptance and pride in the name his mother gave him. She nodded slightly in encouragement.

Conrad states, "It is difficult to articulate sir. My mother is the only family that I have ever known. She has loved and admired you from the moment that the two of you met nearly three decades ago. I grew up hearing of the great Edwin Booth, the finest actor of our century, and everything I have heard about you since has been equally positive.

You ask what I want... Sir, all that I seek is some type of acknowledgement from you of who I am. The acknowledgement need not be public. I have no desire to embarrass you or your daughter with scandals of any past indiscretions. If you truly have no recollection of ever having met my mother, as you stated eight years ago, then I will accept that answer and never contact you again. Eight years ago I was unprepared for your words of rejection."

He turns towards Katherine and states, "But that is not the case today. I now have someone else in my life whose feelings towards me matter far more than anything else."

Tears welled up unbidden in Kate's eyes. There was no reason to hide it anymore, so she reached out her hand and squeezed Conrad's. "Thank you," she whispered.

Edwin pauses while he observes the looks passing between Kate and Conrad. He finishes his drink and then stands, walking back to the bar to refill it. He then walks back towards them but remains standing as he states, "The year 1852 was a long time ago. My performances as Hamlet while in San Francisco was at the very start of a four-year world tour with my father, a great actor in his own right. You stated before that you were born some time in 1853. By then I would have been at the Sandwich Islands or some other venue in the South Seas."

He seats himself again and takes another sip of his drink. He continues, "When we last met you told me your mother's name, which meant nothing to me. You said that she and I had a relationship. But I remembered that during the half-year or so that I was in San Francisco my evenings were spent exclusively in the company of my lead actress, Matilda Heron. Because of that I therefore thought your story to be a total fabrication." Conrad just nods.

He finishes his second drink and then places the glass on the coffee table. Edwin then states, "Over the years since our last meeting I have reflected back upon those earlier years. I recall one possibility that had escaped me earlier. On my last night in the city Miss. Heron and I had a rather volatile disagreement, ending with her slapping my face and walking out of my life forever. To help me recover from that embarrassment many of the actors and stage hands from the acting troop walked me over to an adjacent tavern to help me to drown my sorrows.

As I was soon to embark upon a long sea journey without any female companionship I suspect that I sought to have some company on that final night in the city. While the specific details of what followed that night continue to remain lost to me, due to a combination of an excess of drink at that time and the several days of extreme seasickness that immediately followed, I believe that a possibility exists that I may have spent the latter part of that evening in the company of a woman from the theater. So I'll admit that there is indeed a remote chance Mr. Booth that I may be your sire. I am afraid that is the best that I can do."

"Sir, I know there is no argument that can give you certainty, but if you would consider; I came to New York as a small girl and saw you perform Hamlet. On the strength of a fifteen year old memory I recognized his kinship with you. Of course, I have no knowledge of where other members of your family might have been at the time, but whether or not you are his sire, I am convinced the blood of your family runs in his veins."

Conrad says, "Perhaps I can add further support to your story. You state that you were in San Francisco for a long while, but that it was only on your final night there that you may have been with my mother." Conrad removes an envelope from his own jacket pocket, taking out a document from inside and passing it over to Edwin. Conrad states, "That is my Certificate of Birth." Does my date of birth fall exactly forty weeks after the date in question?"

Edwin looks at the paper and states, "It does indeed, and this is the official document bearing the seal of the City of San Francisco. I see that your mother listed my name as being the father, so at the time she also believed that to be the case." Conrad replies, "Yes, she has said that you were the only man she had ever been with until then. You were apparently rather persuasive that night, as he had been saving her virtue until marriage."

Edwin looks to be momentarily lost in thought. Conrad then says, "Sir, that piece of paper is the only legal document in existence to support my claim. You may keep it to do with it as you wish." The older man looks up, "You truly do not seek my estate?"

Conrad replies, "No sir, I do not. The fortune that I seek will be my own. When I return to Boston I plan to initiate a similar conversation with the Seagram family, to alleviate any concerns they may have regarding my intentions towards their daughter."

Kate looked to Conrad, obviously surprised. "My dear, I believe it, and so will they. You know that I am determined to support myself rather than depend on Papa. Tom's influence, I suppose."

Edwin states, "Mr. Booth, you are man of high integrity and I feel that I owe you an apology for my skepticism. Over the years a great many grifters have sought to take advantage. When Mr. Clemens mentioned that you had taken up the chosen profession of a gambler that heightened my concerns. As you no doubt know, that industry has no shortage of con artists among its members."

Conrad replies, "No apology is necessary Sir. You are correct about gamblers in general. There are a few of us with high moral standards but we tend to be a minority."

Edwin asks, "Why have you chosen that line of work? A love for the game?"

Conrad answers, "No sir. I know of a great many gamblers who have cards in their blood, that is not me. If I never touched another playing card again I would be just as satisfied with life. I went into that line of work because I found that I am good at it. I pride myself in my observational skills and powers of deduction, which serve we well at a poker table.

At most gambling establishments in Promise City Arizona the gamblers attempt to build their own clienteles of regular customers. That arrangement, playing the same game with the exact same people night after night I would find tedious. At the Saloon where I play the owner rotates the gamblers from table to table during the night, which works very well for me. Once I have a solid read on my own players I also start to pay attention to the other games and players taking place, so that when the rotation occurs I am best prepared to use that knowledge."

Edwin says, "Ah, you gauge your audience and react accordingly. I utilize those same skills to deliver a successful stage performance." Conrad replies, "Which is where I learned them as well. I grew up in the theater and have acted on stage since I was an infant. I left the acting profession only because I found that gambling was more lucrative for me."

"I would have liked to see Conrad act on stage. At least I've had the good fortune to hear him sing. And he has had the poor fortune to watch me try to gamble. It's not my great talent.

It is sad that one can make more gambling than acting."

Edwin says, "That is even true to those of us who are considered to be at the top of this profession. Part of why I opened up this building was to give an opportunity for artists of all types to be better able to display and promote their works."

Conrad states, "And you've done an admirable job from what I can see."

Edwin notes that Conrad and Kate have both finished their drinks and asks if they would like refills.

"Thank you, but no. I try not to overindulge, even in the finest of wines.

Such places as these are needed. Art is more important than most people think, or at least it's important to me. It would seem silly perhaps, but one of my regrets is not having a piano in my home. I play at my friend’s saloon, but it's not the kind of music I enjoy.

I miss museums, concerts, plays. I hope it won't be long before we see those things coming west."

"One of the many reasons why I've always found my way back to the city," Edwin states.

Conrad says, "Sir, I guess I've found what I came here for."

Edwin says, "Yes, I guess you have. But there is no reason to rush off, let's go find where Edwina and Mr. Whitman have gotten two. The both of you should see what there is to offer here. By your own admission Mr. Booth you are an actor and artist, and I will hope that you will accept honorary membership to the Player's Club."

Conrad replies, "That is an unexpected honor indeed. I doubt that I will be in New York City very often, but promise to visit whenever I am."

Edwin says, "Good, and if the United States Mail actually goes to that out-of-the-way town of your we can stay in touch via that means."

"It takes a little while, but the post does indeed come, Sir. I would be grateful for a chance to see your establishment and soak up all the art I can before we go back into exile," she said with a light smile.

Edwin Booth walks them through the elaborate building. He says, "I stated this with the backing of fifteen other incorporators which included both Mark Twain and Civil War General William Tecumseh Sherman. I modeled it after London's famed Garrick Club, which I have visited on a number of occasions and will be returning there for a visit in July during my next European tour."

He brings them to a vast library telling them "This is the Hampden-Booth Theater Library. It is a library relating especially to the history of the American stage. It features the preservation of pictures, bills of the play, photographs, and curiosities connected with such history."

"Oh my," Katherine said softly as she let go of Conrad's arm. Her eyes devoured the room as she stepped close, but didn't touch anything.

"It would take months to learn all the stories here. Years. I could disappear here and my friends would wonder whatever became of me."

She rapidly discerned how this library was organized and found one particular folio. "If I may?"

The elder Booth nodded and she slid the folio out. Inside was the playbill and sundry other papers from a performance of Hamlet. She showed it to him, saying, "This is the performance my parents brought me to. It was my first time in New York, and I thought the city all things bright and beautiful. And the crown in that day was seeing my first Shakespeare play. I have loved the theater since."

After another minute Kate replaced the folio and spent a few minutes looking around the room while the men talked quietly behind her. She felt like a child in a toy store but asked only a few questions, not wanting to make a pest of herself.

The next room was a richly appointed library. Decorated in rich browns and beige, the polished wood of each comfortable chair and table shone in the lamp-light. As always, Kate was entranced looking over the volumes.

"The complete works of Shakespeare, of course," the Elder Mr. Booth pointed out. "Oscar Wilde here, Walt Whitman, Henry Thoreau, Ralph Waldo Emerson. I've heard some fascinating discussions coming from this room."

"I should have liked to have been a fly on the wall," she commented, for a second time keeping her thoughts on the gentlemen only policy to herself. Those thoughts even surprised her a bit. Not long ago, it wouldn't have occurred to her to question it.

Next they went down a set of stairs lined with paintings into what was called the Great Hall. It wasn't as large a room as it's name suggested, but lovely nonetheless. There were beautiful cream-colored damask covered walls, with comfortable furniture placed in groups conducive to conversation. But what caught Kate's eye was the large piano in the corner.

"What a beautiful instrument. I can only imagine how glorious it must sound."

"Do you play Mrs. Kale?" states Edwin. Conrad interjects, "Indeed she does, thus far three Saloons in Promise City have been fortunate to hear her mastery of the keyboards." "Then I would be honored to hear your artistry," states Edwin.

"Of course, if you wish. Although I believe I have quite a long way to go before I would achieve real mastery."

Katherine let go of Conrad's arm and made the suddenly long walk to the piano. She did want to play the beautiful instrument, but it might have been better without so many people present. It wasn't usual for her to have nerves about playing, but artists were a whole different audience.

A few of the gentlemen sitting in the room looked at her curiously as she sat down on the cushioned bench and stretched out her foot to find the pedals. She took a deep breath and began to play Chopin's Fantaisie-impromptu in C#. Despite her nerves, soon she forgot the listeners and played for the pleasure of hearing the rich tones of quite the finest instrument she'd played.

When she is finished Edwin approaches her with a broad smile. He smiles and says, "How appropriate, you choosing a piece by Fryderyk Franciszek Chopin. This piano was donated to us from Nohant France, part of the estate of Chopin's lover. She was a great artist in her own right, publishing under the pen name of George Sand. Chopin lived with her for the final eight years of his life, and all of the works that he composed during those years were first played on this very instrument."

"It is a beautiful instrument," she said, running her fingers softly along the keys, thinking of the man who had spent hours hunched over it. "I'm afraid I cannot do justice to his genius."

Kate began to play again, this time the first song she'd heard Conrad sing as they danced at the El Parador. She tossed a teasing look over her shoulder at him. "Now perhaps we can persuade my escort to entertain us."

"The wish of this lady is my command," he states. As Kate plays Conrad begins to sing. By the second verse Edwin joins in as well. Kate hears the nearly identical voices, the acoustics in this room being exquisite.

By the time they complete the song the room is filled with people, who clap wildly. Among those now in the room are Walt Whitman and Edwina Booth. The senior Booth takes his daughter aside and they have a private conversation in the far corner of the room. Edwin gives his daughter the envelope containing Conrad's Birth Certificate.

Edwin then returns to the piano and begins a second duet with his son. At the conclusion of that he introduces Conrad to the crowd stating, "This is Mr. Conrad Booth of California, now a resident of Promise City, Arizona. Some of you may recognize his name from the newspaper accounts surrounding the death of Billy the Kid."

He gives no further public explanation for the similarities of the last name, nor does anybody ask. They do, however, crowd around Conrad to hear the tale of the notorious gunslinger's death. Conrad begins by talking at length about the various members of Arcade's Gang, who he says are personal friends of his. Kate concludes that Conrad is a wonderful storyteller.

Katherine had heard this story before, so this time she paid attention to how he called on an actor's skill to tell the story. She'd been in enough gunfights now to know that they weren't nearly this exciting, but in the right hands the story became suspenseful and fascinating.

Her eyes shifted to Edwin Booth, who was looking on with a kind of wonderment. And perhaps pride? She couldn't say for sure, and she imagined if she'd asked him he couldn't say either.

As Conrad neared the end of the story with an animated face and eyes alight, Kate slid off the piano bench and made her way over to the elder Booth. After the last words of the tale she quietly said, "Thank you. I rarely see him like this, so happy. I don't know what life was like for him in San Francisco, but I believe it has been lonely for him in Promise City."

Edwin replies, "Lonely? I was under the impression that you were helping him to overcome that situation. He does appear to be quite taken with you."

She looked down for a moment with a little smile, then raised her eyes again. "I have only been in Promise City since January, and as romantic as the notion is one person cannot be all the world for another.

We met because I was living at the El Parador where he takes his meals. He always ate alone, and although he was welcome there I've never noticed him being particularly close to the family. Arcade's gang seems to be often out of town, and the people at the Comique started a rumor that he cheats at cards. Conveniently after they asked if he was related to your brother.

Aside from all that, he was very closed when we first met. Apt to looking out for himself first. I've been seeing more and more of the better parts of his nature since we became friends, and the more I see the more I'm convinced he had hidden those parts of himself away."

Edwin nods, "Thank you Mrs. Kale. That is good to know. He appears to be busy with the crowd, perhaps we could take a walk together. I would like to further discuss this where there is little chance of our being overheard."

"If you wish," she said, and took his arm. "Although I must warn you, I can only tell you what I've observed, my conclusions, correct or not, are my own."

Edwin leads her off downstairs to a small dining room, leaving the door to it open as the two enter. He gestures for her to have a seat at a small richly carved oak dining table with two chairs surrounding it. He seats himself down on the other side and takes a match from his vest pocket. He then lights the candle in the center of the table, drops some powder over it, and states the incantation in French that she is already quite familiar with.

"Ah, En dépit de la porte ouverte, nous aurons l'intimité. Vos questions doivent être sérieuses," Kate said in her clear French. "This trick is more common than I thought. Now, how can I help you?"

*Despite the open door we shall have privacy. Your questions must be serious.

"A simple parlor trick, some minor magics known to a great many bards," he states.

His face takes on a serious expression and he states, "Mrs. Kale. From the time of Mr. Whitman's telephone call this afternoon my staff have been rather busy sending telegrams and continuing investigates that I began after receiving Mr. Clemens note. As I stated before, he is one of the partners in this establishment and would not want to put me or it at risk. While Mr. Clemens truly enjoyed the presence of your company and that of Mr. Booth's, he is also a man who has been burned himself by con artists over the years, so was also skeptical of some of your friend's claims.

Based upon the information that my daughter has just now passed on to me I am convinced that you are the person you claim to be, Katherine Seagram Kale, the only daughter of Frederick Seagram of Boston. While it is possible that you might be working as a partner to a con artist, that is unlikely given your family background and access to wealth should you desire it.

I am less convinced of your companion. He is truly charming and may have blinded you with those charms. He may be sincere in his feelings towards you. But is it also possible that he saw a vulnerable widow from a rich family and that was too enticing of mark for him to pass up. If he is a con man then he is a greedy one and it is the wealth of both of our families that he is after, despite his assertions to the contrary."

"It's true that if I wanted wealth, all I would have to do is contact my father. I could live easy, wherever I wished. I have no reason to "con" anyone, and I'm a terrible liar."

Kate stood up from the table and walked a few paces away, rubbing her arms. "Perhaps you are wiser than I in suspecting him. But I do not. I initiated our first meeting, and he has never pushed me for more than I was willing to give. He did not speak to me about his relation to you until I brought it up.

I admit, when we first met I didn't think a great deal of him. But I was comfortable with him; he knew the rules of society that I knew. The rules of how men and women talk to each other. But I didn't fool myself, I knew those first days he gave me assistance because he thought it would give him an advantage.

But those days are gone. I've watched him act completely against his instincts in deference to my will. And in ways that have endangered his life. Johnny Ringo had bullets made that would unerringly hit specific targets trying to make me do what he wanted. He knew one of them was for him, but he still stayed. Trouble of the lethal kind seems to follow me like a shadow lately, but he still stays. There are easier ways to make a fortune.

I don't understand why he cares for me, but I don't doubt his love.

Tell me, Sir, do you think he is lying about being your son? Or just trying to take advantage of an accident of birth?"

"Either or both. He could sincerely believe himself to be my son and still not be. Or he could be trying to trick us both into a false sense of security about him."

He pauses, "Clemens mentioned how Mr. Booth saved your life on two occasions, both times against members of the Cowboy Gang. Now you mention that bullet as well, which I assume would warrant a third occasion. The main task of a con artist is to win the trust of their mark. How do you know that Mr. Booth wasn't working with Johnny Ringo? Each of those situations could have been staged, and who better to stage something than a trained actor."

"You misunderstand. The bullet was meant for him. Ringo had them made for people I care about, including the young girl I care for.

Sir, if you look for the darkest in people you will find it. It's true, everything he has done could be seen as someone trying to gain my trust. I have nothing but my own instincts to tell me that he is not trying to take advantage of me.

Well, that's not quite true. Conrad knows things about me that Ringo could have used against me. Enough that if they were working together things would have turned out very differently." She shook her head stubbornly. "No. I cannot believe so ill of him."

"I understand. I suppose life would be easier if I was just more trusting. In my youth I was far more idealistic than today. But I do see the good in people, this building would not exist otherwise."

He pauses and then continues, "Look at it from my perspective. Eight years ago an adult shows up on my doorstep claiming to be my son. Then I lose my fortune and never hear from him again. Now that I am financially sound again he reappears wanting to be part of my life."

He pauses and says, "Two years year Mr. Clemens lost a small fortune to a pair of brothers by the name of Maverick. He's more cautious now of stories that sound too good to believe. Add to that what happened to him in Tombstone, a man steals his identity, well enough to convince an entire town. Then a man turns up the next day in next town passing himself off as a younger version of me. I don't blame him for being skeptical and to warn me.

"Mrs. Kale, Ringo used magic to impersonate Twain. Clemens assumed that Booth's visual appearance could be the work of magic, and it very well could be. I'm not saying that Mr. Booth is a con artist, but don't be so blind yourself to not consider the possibility."

"I don't blame you for being suspicious. He told me that after Billy the Kid was killed in his home he'd hoped you might see the stories and contact him. When he heard Mr. Clemens was coming to town, he was so happy. I met him for the ball that night and he was dressed as Hamlet, and had shaved his mustache and goatee that he usually wears. The look on his face when I told him it hadn't really been Mark Twain... as if he would never feel hope again.

He hoped Mr. Clemens would see him and recognize his relation. He was so excited after his visit, and now to hear that he doubted all along. I wish he had acknowledged it openly. It would have hurt Conrad, but it would have been an honest hurt.

Let me paint you another picture, of a young boy growing up with no father. His mother chose to stay where she was, so it was widely known that she was an unmarried woman and he had to live with that stigma. Along with the stories of his great father she told him, she also continued to believe you would return to be with her. Eventually he understood that it wasn't true, but by then.... imagine how many years he must of wondered why his father never came. You've been this nebulous presence hovering over his whole life. Can you not imagine that he might want to make that ghost solid? I ask you only to please keep your mind open. Protect yourself as you feel you must, but don't assume the worst.

I can tell you this at least, he is not using magic. The face you've seen is his face," she finally finished before turning away, obviously distressed. She dug into her handbag for a handkerchief and held it to her eyes.

Edwin says, "I believe that you believe him to be genuine. He may be, but I have further investigations to do until I am ready to accept him the way that you wish me to. I was sincere when I asked him to write, and also when I invited him to visit here in the future. I have not ruled out the possibility that what he says is the truth. If he turns out to be the person who he claims I will indeed welcome him into my life. But until I am sure I will exercise caution, and I advise you to do the same."

He blows out the candle and stands. "We should be getting back.

Kate dropped her voice low as he came over to walk her out, conscious of the loss of privacy. "I'm sorry, you must think me terribly silly. It's been a difficult few days, and it's very distressing to imagine that someone I have relied on so much to help me through would have sinister motives.

I don't think he expected you to welcome him with open arms, Sir. What you offered, to let him write and visit now and then, was all that could reasonably be expected. Even if you believed absolutely in him, you're still strangers.

And thank you for...caring enough to caution me. You were under no obligation to do so."

He says, "No, I was not. But I will now place an obligation onto you. I have asked him to write to me. I wish for you to write me as well, or send telegrams if that is more convenient. Let me know what events transpire going forward that would support either scenario in order to better assist me in reaching a conclusion on this matter."

"That is a difficult thing to ask of me. I shall feel like a spy. You understand if I should start to see evidence that he has been lying I would be of no further use? If I saw such evidence I would confront him about it and it's likely I would no longer be in a position to see anything.

I will write to you about our lives and what happens in them. You must draw your own conclusions. You saw today how we see different conclusions in the same events. If I were to pick and choose what to tell you I would feel like I was keeping a secret from him. This way I won't have to lie to him. You may have to read a great many uninteresting letters, but I would feel better about it.

There is one other thing. Much of what happens is deeply personal. If my secrets should be revealed because of this, I must have your word that you will keep them. Is that acceptable?"

"You read too much into my request. I am not asking you to spy on the man. Merely to notify me if he should prove to be untrustworthy. And I would think that you would wish to share anything further that you find that support his claim. I too am investing some of myself emotionally into this situation, plus the expense of the investigations. As to any personal information I expect you to keep to yourself, not share it with a man who you barely know."

"I understand now. I would have notified you anyway, should I have learned something to prove him untrustworthy. I should have realized you don't know me well, so would not have realized that. But I'm glad to have the right to support him as well."

They reach the stairs back to the second floor, hearing Conrad's voice above now singing with another man, a heavy-set man with a graying mustache and sideburns.

They enter the room and Edwin proclaims, "Well Mr. Booth, I see that you have already found tonight's honored guest. Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Arthur Seymour Sullivan, visiting her from London. His many comedic opera collaborations with William Schwenck Gilbert are probably known to all of you."

Kate looked at Conrad's bright face and wished she could still share that happiness. Still, nothing had really changed. Edwin Booth had never said he accepted Conrad as a son, and considering Conrad was far more experienced in the world than she it was likely he already realized what had so surprised her. She reached inside and found a smile.

By the time she was introduced to Mr. Sullivan, she could smile with real pleasure and say, "How do you do?"

In his rich British voice Sullivan replies, "I am fine Ma'am, thank you for asking."

For the next three hours Sullivan remains the center of attention for the club. Kate discovers that this is his second visit to New York City. He and Gilbert had first come to America three years earlier in order to protect their copyrights, which were being flagrantly stolen. While in the country, they introduced their Pirates of Penzance at the Fifth Avenue Theatre in New York, which became an overwhelming success.

At around 9:00 P.M. Walt Whitman informs Kate and Conrad that he is becoming tired and will soon be leaving. Not wanting to overstay his welcome Conrad reluctantly agrees to depart now as well.

Kate was ready to go herself, and gladly got her hat and pinned it back on her head. Her mood had improved through the last few hours, picking up on the energy of the club. Still, she had stayed back from the crowd, playing when asked but mostly letting Conrad enjoy himself and keeping herself on the sidelines.

When Edwin Booth found them at the door to say good-bye, Kate said, "Thank you for seeing us, Sir. It's been a lovely evening, such as I'm unlikely to have again."

Edwin replies, "And it was a pleasure having you here as well. Good day Mrs. Kale, pleasant journey back to Boston." He turns to Conrad and they exchange firm handshakes. Conrad says, "Thank you Sir, this visit was more than I would have anticipated." Edwin replies, "Remember what I said about writing. You now know the address." "Thank you, I will Sir," Conrad answers.

Kate and Conrad move aside while Edwin and Whitman say their goodbyes. The trio then head out to the waiting carriage. Walt Whitman tells his guests, "I thank you both for prompting me to call here. Otherwise I would not have had the opportunity to meet Mr. Sullivan."

"It's you we should be thanking. I won't soon forget your kindness to two strangers. I had the telegram sent to my father before we left the hotel, so I would expect your brother to receive a reply tomorrow."

He thanks her and says that it was a pleasure to meet them. The carriage drops them off at the entrance to the Fifth Avenue Hotel where a pair of doormen opens the doors to the coach and hotel for the couple.

Last edited:

orchid blossom

Explorer
A Little Time Alone

"I'm hungry, it's been a long time since lunch," Kate said quietly. "Or perhaps more correctly he's hungry. I think I'll have something sent up. Do you want anything or are you too excited to eat?" she asked Conrad.

"I will always take the time to share a meal with you Kate. I believe that I saw a small French restaurant just two doors down from here if you are in the mood for it."

"As long as it isn't far," Kate said. The two turned around and walked past the confused doorman as he again opened the door for them. "It's been a long day and I'm getting tired. And there is a beautiful bathtub I intend to make full use of this evening. But food first."

They find the restaurant. It is a small, casual place presently with patrons at only three of the twelve tables. The entire menu is in French, which also appears to be the only language that the waiters can speak. Conrad says to Kate, "You'll have to help me out here."

"Of course, I'll take care of everything."

Kate explained what the dishes were, and when the waiter came over she said confidently, "Nous commence voudrions que le Soupe Bonne Femme, avec l'asperge avec un ail rôti Vinaigrette. Pour le plat principal, Boeuf à la Bourguignonne, et pour finir un plat de fromage et de fruit. Merci."

"I hope you'll like it," Kate said to Conrad after the waiter left. "It's potato and leek soup, asparagus with a garlic dressing, a beef and mushroom dish cooked in wine, and then just some cheese and fruit. Quite a lot for this time of night, but I really am hungry," she said, slightly embarrassed.

The meal goes quickly. Conrad also is hungry. There is minimum of conversation between the two. Afterwards Conrad pays the check and they walk back to the hotel.

While walking along the street Conrad says, "I noticed that you were gone with Mr. Booth for a while, twenty-three minutes to be exact. What did he wish to talk to you about?"

"You know exactly how long I was gone? You seemed rather busy to be noting my absence with that kind of precision," she teased, trying to be light.

"Kate, when have details escaped my notice? Of course I noted your departure. It was shortly after he gave my birth certificate to my half-sister and they spoke for six minutes in what appeared to be a rather animated conversation. I really should learn to read lips at some point, it would make things much easier to figure out."

"He wanted to tell me that he had confirmed my identity. And to caution me against... believing in you too blindly," Kate said.

"Ah, that does not surprise me at all. But I won't fret over that and neither should you. Tonight went far better than I could have ever imagined. This will take time but I should be able to eventually convince him of my good intentions."

"I'm afraid I have a tendency to fret. As soon as I collected myself I realized that you likely knew he would continue his own investigations and reserve judgement and would not be surprised, as I was. I think I was most shocked that he had thought I might be working with you to fool him. But you will convince him, helped along by his own inquiries, I'm sure.

I am too inclined to trust, I suppose, terribly so if a stranger felt the need to warn me." She sighed softly. "But he doesn't know everything I do, all the reasons I have to believe in you."

The reach and enter the hotel, the doormen again holding the doors for them. As they approach the elevators he says, "Thank you Katherine. I was sincere in what I told him tonight, even if he had rejected me again your faith in me counts for far more. Thank you for coming here to New York with me. I won't say that I couldn't have done it without you, but it would have been far more difficult."

"I didn't do much but sit quietly while you talked." She paused and then smiled. "And enjoy a couple very good meals, a lovely room, and the chance to meet some very interesting people. I'm glad you found what you were looking for here, or at least the path to it."

They get on the elevator and tell the elevator operator their floor. The ride up takes a while, during which Conrad is quiet. Once they leave the elevator and are alone in the hallway he says, "You did far more than you give yourself credit for. You spoke your mind and stated your beliefs. That is far more than most women are willing to do these days, especially here in high society. I think that you will make an excellent teacher for Promise City." He escorts her to her door.

"Thank you, I hope so. It must be the freedom of the west getting into me. The children there, boy or girl, will all have to know how to stand up under their own strength."

They stood in front of her door for a moment while Kate hesitated. "I should go inside if I intend to get that bath before I fall asleep. What time is the train tomorrow?"

He replies, "I haven't purchased the return tickets yet. I did however glance at the schedule when we arrived. Morning trains leave for Boston at 6:35 A.M., 8:15 A.M., 9:55 A.M., and 11:20 A.M.. There are also afternoon trains but those would get us in rather late."

"Let's take the 9:55. I have the feeling we could both use a little extra time for sleep." Kate took his hand and squeezed it, hesitating again. It seemed strange that they should separate now, but it had to be. She stretched up on her toes and kissed his cheek. "Good night, my dear."

He takes her hand and kisses it stating, "And good night to you as well my dear. Sleep well." He waits in the hallway until she has entered the room and locked the door behind her before heading over towards his adjacent room.

Kate was good to her word and set to filling the luxurious bathtub with steaming water. There were any number of oils and soaps provided, and she seasoned the water liberally before slipping in. It took time, but eventually the water soaked away the last of the dark feelings she'd had since she'd spoken with Edwin Booth.

Of course she could understand his reluctance. But the idea that Conrad might be trying to con her had never before crossed her mind, and it felt soiled for having passed through. She sighed and let them pass out of her and into the water to float away with the steam. They were replaced by more pleasant thoughts of what her future might be like, although there were certain ones she kept strictly reined in.

Once the water started to chill Kate finished up, rinsing out her hair and then slipping into her pale blue dressing gown. She sat up for another hour and a half quietly reading and letting her hair dry. A fire crackled cheerfully in the fireplace and Kate enjoyed the rare sensation of solitude until she slipped gratefully into the comfortable bed and went to sleep.

Wednesday, May 3rd, 1882, 6:15 A.M.

Kate quickly discovers that she has gotten used to the quiet of a small town when the noises of the busy city awaken her, despite being on the upper floor of one of the largest buildings in the city.

It wasn't that long ago that she'd gotten used to noise, the stamping mills in Tombstone starting up before dawn, but in Promise City the reverberating crunching sounds did not usually begin until the reasonable hour of 8:00 A.M. Boston had been noisier than Promise City, but was nothing like the hustle and bustle of New York with the carriages, bells, yelling of vendors and cascade of other noises coming from the street below.

"Oh, you can't be serious," she muttered and pulled a pillow over her head.

The pillow muffled some of the sounds, but she was already too disturbed to go right back to sleep. Before long she gave up and padded out of bed to look out the window at the busy street below. She undid her braid as she watched the busy world and pulled on her dressing gown and slippers as she lost the warmth she'd had under the covers.

It wasn't going to get any quieter and her stomach was beginning to rumble, so Katherine went into the front room to ring the bell pull and order some breakfast.

Kate hummed to herself under her breath as she ate the eggs, toast, and fruit she had ordered and read the newspaper. Although it wasn't what she was usually interested in, she even read over the society pages.

The society pages in the paper make reference to the Emerson funeral and those of society who attended. There are some kind remarks made in reference to her father's eulogy for their friend.

Towards the end of the meal there is a knock on the door. The bellhop has returned with a Bell Telephone message taken for her. It is from George Washington Whitman, indicating that he has received a telegram invitation from Mr. Seagram and will be heading up to Boston on Friday with several other Union officers. One officer, a Brigadier General Henry Pleasants, wishes to meet with Kate and Conrad. He offers to accompany them on the train ride to Boston if at all possible. A telephone number is left to get in touch with Pleasants with a response, be it either positive or negative.

"Would you have the gentlemen contacted please? Tell him we would be happy for his company. We plan to take the 9:55 train back to Boston, and he can meet us in the hotel lobby at 9:00. Also, let Mr. Booth know about the message I received and my reply. Thank you."

The bellhop nodded, and Kate closed the door. She still had about two hours, but she dressed herself and took special care fixing her hair and packing her things. By eight o'clock that was done and she sat quietly in her room reading and waiting for it to be time to leave.

The bellhop returns with a message from Pleasants indicating that he will pick them up at the hotel shortly before 9:00 AM. Conrad arrives at her room at a quarter past eight. "So, we'll have some company I see," he exclaims. "Should be an interesting ride, Pleasants being a war hero and all. Are you familiar with the Battle of the Crater? He was decorated for his valor there. If memory serves he was captured there and spent the remainder of the war in a Confederate prison."

"Yes, I'm familiar with it. Such a sad thing, and no reason he should have been captured if the soldiers had just followed their orders. To think, they spent weeks digging that tunnel, the explosion went off perfectly, and then they tried to go through the hole instead of around?

I'm no soldier, but even I know it's always better to have the high ground. No matter what else happened, General Pleasants acquitted himself well that day."

Kate poured herself another cup of tea and sat down. "It seems we've met a great many people on this trip. I probably should have warned you about that," she laughed lightly. "People who know my father will often stop to speak with me, but usually not nearly so many."

Conrad replies, "Well, I expected we would meet quite a few given how well known Emerson was. This should be an interesting train ride back, although in truth I had hoped for some more time alone with you. I suppose that we should call for a bellhop to come get our bags."

"It can wait a few more minutes," she said and moved over to sit next to him on the sofa. Kate took his hands in her own and squeezed them. "It's always hard to get that time alone. So many people around and no where to hide but the grove." She paused. "What would you have done with that extra time alone?"

He replies, "We could have spoken about the future. Now don't misunderstand me, I don't mean marriage. I still have that idea in the back of my mind but you're not ready and as I said before, the emotional turmoil of this trip is such that neither of us should be making permanent commitments."

He takes her hand in his and says, "But our futures will be linked in many ways which we should discuss. Your son, Ginnie, what role would you like me to play in their lives? And the school, how can I help to get it started? I was thinking, while we're back east we should probably visit with some textbook publishers and make arrangements for what you need to be shipped out to you. And lastly, well, I was wondering if we could talk to Mr. Gonzales about....well.....never mind."

"The school is almost ready. Ginnie and I had planned to do some shopping in Boston and get a few things we couldn't in Promise City. I've already ordered quite a few textbooks, but your idea is a good one. It will allow me to get texts on some of the more exotic subjects I'd like to offer. I'm not sure what I'll need for help, beside a strong back to help get the room set up.

With Ginnie, I believe she trusts you. Before we left Arizona she 'approved' you," Kate laughed. "She's a very independent girl, and I've tried to let her do as much for herself as possible. Just keep being a friend to her, listen if she wants to talk, help her as you can. After that it must be up to her.

As for my boy.... I intend for him to know who his father is as soon as he's old enough to understand. But his father can't be here, and I don't want him to grow up without that. I want you to be family to him, of what sort I'm not sure yet. The question may answer itself before he's old enough to ask," she said with a light blush. "Ah, what did you want me to ask Mr. Gonzales? Don't be shy."

"Well....um.....Kate, this is so unlike me, being at a loss for words. Okay, this will sound odd, given how afraid I am of magic, but I was hoping that he could maybe teach me some...."

"It's not odd, wanting to understand something you fear. How else do you conquer that fear?" She was quiet for a moment. "I'm not sure what he'll say, but we should ask him. I don't know that he would take you for an apprentice; he seems to have a fondness for young ladies when it comes to that, but he might agree to teach you the basics and a few simple spells. And he may surprise me and agree to more. He does things for his own reasons that I don't always understand.

I knew you feared the traveling spell, but most people do the first time. I've never seen you be uncomfortable when I've given us privacy, and that day Johnny Ringo chased us.... You don't.... I've never frightened you, have I?"

"Oh no, you don't frighten me because I trust you implicitly. And things like the Traveling spell will always scare me. I'm tempted to take the train back to Arizona. But there are some things I would like to learn. That armor spell you did, it saved my life, that would be handy to know. I'd also be interested in learning slight-of-hand and misdirection magic, and not just to help my card playing. I've found that information can sometimes save and protect, and information can be obtained easier when not being watched where you don't want watched."

"I would keep away from using any kind of magic in your card playing. You never know who might have an idea of what you're up to.

I haven't used my skills to glean information, that's more Ruby's area, but I do believe it can be done. So you are just looking to know a few specific things, not become a permanent student? I think the chances of convincing him to teach you just a few things are much better.

We can talk more about the other things back home. There's the grove, and we could always go for a drive, or even try our luck at another picnic," she laughed.

"And now we probably should call the bellhop. But there is one thing I wanted to do with our last bit of time alone." She laid her hand softly against his cheek and met his eyes before drawing his head down and softly kissing him.

He returns the kiss, the lips barely touching but applying a constant pressure as his head moves slightly to the side. As the kiss continues she feels his hand gently stroking her hair just above the back of her neck.

Katherine's heart suddenly beat hard in her chest. Her hand slipped down from his cheek to rest on his shoulder, the other lying lightly on his side. For a few moments she forgot everything else but the feel of his lips and his hand stroking her hair. Her body reluctantly obeyed when she pulled back just far enough to sigh, "We really should call the bellhop now."

Conrad replies, "Yes, I suppose we should before I suggest something that I shouldn't." He stands up and straightens out his clothing despite the fact that they are barely wrinkled. He then summons the bellhop.

"And before I lack the will to refuse," she whispered. Kate checked to make sure her hair was still tidy and put on a straw, bonnet-like hat that tied under her chin while they waited.

A pair of bellmen help them downstairs and bring the trunk and suitcase outside to the curb while they wait for the carriage. The Whitman family carriage soon arrives and off from it step George Washington Whitman and another well-dressed man with dark hair that was only beginning to show gray in some spots. He wore a thin mustache and goatee. He had a robust build, apparently keeping himself in good shape.

Whitman gestures to Kate and Conrad and says, "Katherine Seagram Kale, Conrad Booth, may I present to you Brigadier General Henry Pleasants." Pleasants says, "Oh come on George, you know I never served as anything higher Lieutenant Colonel."

Whitman replies, "Henry, the promotion was earned for your bravery, bestowed upon you years after the war by President Johnson. And I do recall you put on your uniform again and stood proudly at the White House when you were so honored." Pleasants shrugs his shoulders and says, "Well yes, if the government wishes to award me a higher pension than I rightfully deserved who am I to object. At that point I needed the money for my farm. But enough of me, let's help get these people going, we have a train to catch."

The bellmen help to get the luggage secured to the carriage and the four get seated inside for the short ride to the railroad station.

"Mr. Whitman, I didn't expect the pleasure of seeing you today as well, although I should have. I'm so pleased you'll be visiting us.

And you, General. My father has spoken highly of you, although he doesn't often speak of his time in the army. He has great respect for your skill as an engineer."

Pleasants smiles and says, "Why thank you. And I truly appreciate your allowing me to accompany you on this trip to Boston."

"You're most welcome. I'm sure the trip will pass swiftly with such good company."

Remove ads