• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gate Pass Gazette Here's Gate Pass Gazette #9!

Hi folks! We have a great issue for you this month, with new marshal archetypes, an entire new combat tradition, new heritages, and more! The Gate Pass Gazette is the official monthly magazine for Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition. Each month, this digital supplement comes crammed with new rules and resources for your game. https://www.patreon.com/gatepass Heritages of the Coral Climates The...

Hi folks! We have a great issue for you this month, with new marshal archetypes, an entire new combat tradition, new heritages, and more!

The Gate Pass Gazette is the official monthly magazine for Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition. Each month, this digital supplement comes crammed with new rules and resources for your game.

gpg9.jpg

Heritages of the Coral Climates
The seas and shores of tropical climes teem with life, so it’s only appropriate for two new heritages to emerge from them. This article presents the tentacular pode and the sharklike galeoni. By PJ Coffey.

Heirs of Command: Marshal Archetypes
Marshals come in many shapes and sizes, from fearless commanders to shadowy criminal masterminds. This article introduces three new marshal archetypes, each at home in their own battlefields. Additionally, we introduce a new stronghold type in the form of a ship, and the new sailor follower. By Russ "Morrus" Morrissey.

Heaven’s Roof
Set among the Skyreach Mountains, Heaven’s Roof is a city built among the clouds. From distant peaks across the valleys the settlement appears to sit atop a floating tableau of rock with the single, thin bridge of the Elseanian Span tethering it to the rest of the world. This article presents NPCs, potion variants, exploration challenges and more for use in campaigns that brave the mountain heights. By Marc Kenobi

Mythical Martial Maneuvers: The Arcane Knight
Not unlike rare spells, some combat traditions are zealously guarded by those who have developed them, and the Arcane Knight tradition is no exception. In addition to the combat tradition itself, this article introduces the Order of the Argent Eye, an organization of arcane knights who are willing to train those who have the interest and aptitude, as well as the order’s tome of the spellblade, a magic item which grants a character access to their signature techniques. By Rachel Williamson.

xiphumor

Legend

Is it just me, or are the base heritage abilities of the galeoni and podes a little… underwhelming? I’m not convinced that other creatures gaining advantage on attacks against you is worth immunity to being frightened, which halflings get all the time for free. Also, do the pode’s tentacles do anything that couldn’t be done for free with an object interaction, using your normal carrying capacity, while also wearing boots?

I want to love these heritages, so if I’m missing something important here, someone please tell me.

xiphumor

Legend
Also, I have to say, I think our three new Marshal archetypes did a great job of capturing the flavor of their base-tropes!

Faolyn

(she/her)
Amazing as always!

Is it just me, or are the base heritage abilities of the galeoni and podes a little… underwhelming? I’m not convinced that other creatures gaining advantage on attacks against you is worth immunity to being frightened, which halflings get all the time for free. Also, do the pode’s tentacles do anything that couldn’t be done for free with an object interaction, using your normal carrying capacity, while also wearing boots?

I want to love these heritages, so if I’m missing something important here, someone please tell me.
It kind of feels like there should have been an expertise die on attacks while bloodied for the galeoni. That's how I'd house-rule it, anyway.

But for podes, when combined with Soft Bodied, it means you can slip those tentacles into a very small space that an arm wouldn't be able to reach into.

xiphumor

Legend
It kind of feels like there should have been an expertise die on attacks while bloodied for the galeoni. That's how I'd house-rule it, anyway.

But for podes, when combined with Soft Bodied, it means you can slip those tentacles into a very small space that an arm wouldn't be able to reach into.
RE: Galeoni: I like that as a fix!

RE: Podes: Wouldn’t Teeny-Tiny Tentacles mostly cover that?

Faolyn

(she/her)
RE: Galeoni: I like that as a fix!

RE: Podes: Wouldn’t Teeny-Tiny Tentacles mostly cover that?
But what if the lock (bar) is on the other side of the door? A person with bones in their arms wouldn't be able to slip their arm under the door and lift the bar, but a pode would. Likewise, if something is at a weird angle down a hole, the pode wouldn't have a problem with it. Also, Mature pode don't get the TTT, but they still have the Handy Tentacles. Plus, the Handy Tentacles are also extra hands in addition to your normal two arms. So they're more like a prehensile tail than anything else.

I think that these Handy Tentacles are mostly flavor but have some handy (sorry) mechanical uses as well.

Edit: I don't know why I'm at all surprised at how difficult it is to find a SFW image of an anthro octopus.

VanguardHero

Adventurer
Oh I LOVE the Arcane Knight, I've loved the idea of Traditions for things like this or Soulknife and glad to see that design happening in an official capacity! One thing I was slightly unclear on was the Malicious Mark Maneuver, it says "Any attempt to use the Help action against that target is a bonus action" does this apply to all party members or just the Arcane Knight's Help maneuvers? It reads like the Party's all are Bonus actions but don't want to get my hopes up too much xD

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! <3
Oh I LOVE the Arcane Knight, I've loved the idea of Traditions for things like this or Soulknife and glad to see that design happening in an official capacity! One thing I was slightly unclear on was the Malicious Mark Maneuver, it says "Any attempt to use the Help action against that target is a bonus action" does this apply to all party members or just the Arcane Knight's Help maneuvers? It reads like the Party's all are Bonus actions but don't want to get my hopes up too much xD
Whole party.

Everyone gets to help mess up that one dude's face!

But since it's a bonus action, either you all help in a ring of face-melt, or some players instead choose to do things like dual-wielding or using other bonus actions and don't pass on the help.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads