• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV Here's The D&D Movie Trailer!

"Who needs heroes when you have thieves?" The movie arrives March 3rd, 2023. Here's the trailer! When they said it was inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy, they weren't kidding! We have dragons, owlbears, mimics, gelatinous cubes, quips, and more! There was also a clip shown at San Diego Comic Con where the party cast speak with dead, and got to ask five questions. Also, apparently, the...

"Who needs heroes when you have thieves?" The movie arrives March 3rd, 2023. Here's the trailer! When they said it was inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy, they weren't kidding! We have dragons, owlbears, mimics, gelatinous cubes, quips, and more!

There was also a clip shown at San Diego Comic Con where the party cast speak with dead, and got to ask five questions. Also, apparently, the D&D cartoon characters from the 80s have a cameo!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Would the line have been necessary if it had been a normal bear bear? Do you think they would have had to literally ask "what is that?" "A bear"?

I don’t and I also think they didn’t need it for the owlbear
If this was any other fantasy movie, I doubt they would even bother mentioning the name. Since its a D&D thing, and naming monsters is a regular deal, it makes sense to call it out.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
This trailer does three things really well:

1. Gives D&D fans tons of exciting "Easter eggs".
2. Sets up the situation (a couple heroes get a bigger party together) and stakes simply but well. ("we accidentally helped a bad guy get a bad thing, now we have to stop him").
3. Appeals to non-fans, because it looks wild and fun (I've heard multiple non-fans say this, which is a small sampling I'll grant).

I don't think it adds to the scene, other than explaining what the creature is to people who don't know.
It's mildly funny, because the name is so obvious, and an easter egg for D&D players, but it's enterally unnecessary to explain an owlbear to non-D&D players.

Lots of Sci Fi and fantasy movies get by without explaining every single monster and alien. Anyone can see it's a monster, and that's all anyone needs to know.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads