• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

Chaosmancer

Legend
yep, your list is incomplete, there are plenty of myths that do not revolve around gods and demigods

Of course it is an incomplete list, I wasn't going to go down and list every single world religion past and current just to prove a point. I thought I went a little overboard listing the NINE different mythologies I did.

So, how about this, tell me a mythology that DOESN'T involve these sorts of crazy feats. Not a single myth of a dude like Oedipus, because again, Superhero stories ALSO involve lower power C and D listers. What mythological structure are you referring to here?

yep, no great wall when it comes to power levels, I do not recall this discussion ever having been about power levels however. I mentioned the context free power pose and the pretty modern clothes and wanting something more down to earth and gritty with context instead

Then you weren't really paying attention to my post. The pose? The clean clothes with bright white and gold? The Glowing Eyes? It is all meant to invoke the idea of power and majesty. You wish you had something grittier? Something lower level? Perfectly fine for taste in art. However, we know that the goal of this image is to be a cover art for the Wizard class. They clearly want to depict a high level, powerful wizard. Why would that character be gritty and down to earth? That wouldn't be aspirational art.

I'm not saying that your taste in art is bad, far from it and I wouldn't mind seeing some lower power art myself, but would that accomplish the goal for the cover art piece?

Something more like this than what we got (you can increase the power level, I just do not like the pointless posing for the Tik Tok followers of the Wizard picture)

View attachment 356317

works for me too, I do not see my wizards as vain posers, they do cool stuff, they just do not power pose

That is perfectly fine art, but two things.

1) This is exactly what I am talking about. Neither of them is in armor, they are mucking through a swamp fighting what look to be mutant bugs, and the guy has a chipped shortsword without even a shield. These are low-level adventurers. Now, you say you want to increase the power level... but how are you going to do that? You'd have to change their gear and clothes, change the angle of the shot, pull out a bit more to have it be more than two bugs, you'd have to change that light cantrip to show the threat into the prep for a spell to annihilate the threat. You'd very quickly lose the elements you LIKE in this art to increase it to a piece invoking power and majesty.

2) You um... you don't think she is posing in this? My dude, her shirt is practically falling off of her, and she is sitting on her own leg, with her other leg dangling in the water like she is on the beach. She can't move quickly from that position, because her weight is resting on her own ankle and her knee. She isn't even looking at any of the threats. Sure, it isn't a "power pose" but it is still a pose, and not a practical battle stance.

then maybe it was about the floating.... and I am not sure you standing like that would work as a power pose either, floating is a pretty important part of it to me ;)

Yes, floating is important to the sense of majesty and power. That is why we have powerful beings float.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I gave thumbs up only because I am familiar with comics, as I recognize the Fantastic Four image you posted. But this forum is about Dungeons and Dragons, so keep your references to the subject so others can relate or your counter argument example is thrown out the window.

When people are blaming the art for being "too much like superhero art" or "too much like anime art" then showing superhero or anime art is exactly on subject. We are not limited to only that which is branded DnD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads