• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

Vaalingrade

Legend
I had no idea that the Expedition to the Barrier Peaks was so widely played, and such a fundamental experience for D&D players.
Two of those are from the core rulebooks, the other two are from recently released settings.

Because D&D is not and has never been just one thing and nor does it try to be. I mean look at how D&D religion works: Ancient Greece meets 70's crystals meets a children's picture book of polytheism.

ezo

Where is that Singe?
Well, lessee - that's from the 2e Tome of Magic, and since she's flying and dropping some sort of fireball spell, nope, not a priest.
Yeah, I know what it is. I can read the title. ;)

Is she flying? or leaping? Sort of hard to tell. Is it a flying spell, or just maybe a flying magic item or something she has.

Fireball? Maybe, or perhaps the beginning of flamestrike, or some other fire spell. Heck, it might just be some light spell?

Wasn't it you who was insisting that the art must reflect what the character can actually do in the game? Or was that someone else?
Well, I agreed with a poster who stated that, so yeah, me and someone else. ;)

And, just as a point, those are thumbnails - you can click them for the full sized image. I didn't want to clutter up the thread with big images, as it makes it too hard to read.
Fair enough. I was busy posting and just copied the image as is in my reply, without click on the original in your post.

Funny though how you like the Tome of Magic image, which is posed in far more superhero tones than the revised PHB wizard.
No, I don't really care for that image. This: "Ah, one of my favorites! Definitely magic-user." was in reference to the 1E PHB.

Regardless, I don't think the Tome of Magic is "posed in far more superhero tones" than the new wizard image for this thread... not even close. But hey, we can have different opinions. ;)

ezo

Where is that Singe?
Seriously? Leaping? And, if she has a flying magic item, then why can't our PHB wizard have a floating staff? Magical lenses?
Yeah, seriously. Her pose suggests movement, "launch leg" extended straight behind/beneath, leading leg bent. We can't see enough of any sort of background to suggest otherwise IMO. And even if she is "flying", so what? It be an air walk spell or something else entirely. Nothing indicates it has to a wizard spell for "flying". Other classes can fly. :)

And for the record, I never said the new PHB wizard couldn't have a floating staff or have magical lenses, did I? ;)

ezo

Where is that Singe?
D&D hasnt been grounded for at least 3 editions. Casters have unlimited, risk free, easy to learn magic. They break reality more often than they poop.
Which is why house-rules are a blessing! :)

Wanting some beardy grandpa in a bathrobe doesnt reflect the current edition, worlds, etc.
Depends on your game. I don't know what people have against beardy grandpas in bathrobes, anyway.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Well, lessee - that's from the 2e Tome of Magic, and since she's flying and dropping some sort of fireball spell, nope, not a priest. Wasn't it you who was insisting that the art must reflect what the character can actually do in the game? Or was that someone else?
to be fair If I saw that image in isolation I'd think she was some kind of celestial/fey race, the silver tone to the skin, the dress and general pose doesn't really suggest wizard or arcana.

Reactions: ezo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads