• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Here's to hoping for an iOS character generator...

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Seeing that you live in Seatle, I suggest that you put your ninja suit and go for a midnight stroll through WotC offices and come back with an answer :p

Warder

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I don't want a character builder app, I want a D&D app!

What's a D&D app? Well I'm glad you asked!
The D&D app is a free app that bring you the entire basic D&D rule set along with it's gorgeous hi-res art right to your mobile and desktop devices FOR FREE!

The App not only have the rules, but it also got a character builder option (with the ability to use house rules) and DM tools for adventure design, making it basically your one stop option for adventure design on the go!

But wait, where the money in that? thats simple, the app will allow you to purchase new books as an in-app purchase, want to get more character building options and spells? buy the PHB! Looking for some more monsters? The MM is one klick away! Want to Advance your game with tons of optional modules? Have no fear the DMG is your near.

Not only that, but 3pp will be able to sell their books as well (with a percentage going to WotC) from adventures to splat books.
And not only 3pp, using the in app adventure tools Joe Shmoe can sell his own stuff. From adventures to character portraits to rule modules and so on.

That what I would like to see offered on the digital front.

Warder

I don't think house rules could work with it - and I don't think they should either. Once you allow houserules, you're allowing outright piracy of all the stuff they want to sell you, done as houserules.

Hutchimus Prime

Adventurer
A digital download code for books, like what Marvel does with its comics would be cool.
Also I'd vote with some $$$ for a downloadable character generation app.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I don't think house rules could work with it - and I don't think they should either. Once you allow houserules, you're allowing outright piracy of all the stuff they want to sell you, done as houserules.

I ment house rules in the character builder, like extra feats more background than only one at first level etc etc

Warder

JEB

Legend
I don't want a character builder app, I want a D&D app!

What's a D&D app? Well I'm glad you asked!
The D&D app is a free app that bring you the entire basic D&D rule set along with it's gorgeous hi-res art right to your mobile and desktop devices FOR FREE!

The App not only have the rules, but it also got a character builder option (with the ability to use house rules) and DM tools for adventure design, making it basically your one stop option for adventure design on the go!

But wait, where the money in that? thats simple, the app will allow you to purchase new books as an in-app purchase, want to get more character building options and spells? buy the PHB! Looking for some more monsters? The MM is one klick away! Want to Advance your game with tons of optional modules? Have no fear the DMG is your near.

Not only that, but 3pp will be able to sell their books as well (with a percentage going to WotC) from adventures to splat books.
And not only 3pp, using the in app adventure tools Joe Shmoe can sell his own stuff. From adventures to character portraits to rule modules and so on.

A digital download code for books, like what Marvel does with its comics would be cool.
Also I'd vote with some $$$ for a downloadable character generation app.

Combine these two ideas, and also add the ability to use the app to walk through pre-designed adventure modules room-by-room, and I think you'd have not only a winning D&D app, but possibly the best RPG app yet designed. Which would be only fitting for the world's most famous RPG...

Bandit4e

First Post
A better alternative would be a html5*-based app that works on all platforms, and was smart enough to scale decently from smartphones to desktop PC's. Basically a web page in other words. ;)

*Using whatever tricks necessary to get it running on browser that don't support the whole specification.

I completely agree. I've actually written WoTC about this before, since DDI Character Builder is built in Silverlight and barely works in any other modern browser than Firefox. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be able to make characters as frequently as I do if I didn't have access to Character Builder. My whole group depends heavily on it, so I'm definitely hoping for at least something when 5e comes out, and hopefully an HTML 5 version.

Remove ads