• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Here's why we want a Psion class

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I just want to play a psionic character in 5e because my absolute favorite scene of any movie is when Luke Skywalker wrecks havoc on Jabba the Hutt’s forces in Return of the Jedi. Force kick and all.

I therefore want to play a Psi Knight equipped with a magic long sword that glows green and deals an extra 2d6 force damage (like a variant flametongue) on a hit.

I just want to play a psionic character in 5e because my absolute favorite scene of any movie is when Luke Skywalker wrecks havoc on Jabba the Hutt’s forces in Return of the Jedi. Force kick and all.

I therefore want to play a Psi Knight equipped with a magic long sword that glows green and deals an extra 2d6 force damage (like a variant flametongue) on a hit.
You can do that already. Play an Eldritch Knight. Learn Green Flame Blade, Jump and Catapult. Find a Sunsword.

Star Wars tropes are very frequent occurrences in our games.

Also had fun with a wand of Flame Blade, borrowed from Pathfinder.

Last edited:

It's okay, @Paul Farquhar, to let people enjoy things without being rude about the things they enjoy or being rude to the people who enjoy them. In fact, this board even actively encourages it.
It's pretty clear from dozens and dozens of posts that it is only okay to enjoy things if those are the same things as the poster enjoys. They say "if you can't beet them join them".

There is no "WE" and I am sick and tired of people claiming to speak for other people.

Last edited:

Dispater

Explorer
Wanting back the psionicist is really just wanting back Dark Sun.
And yes, there's a fanbase group of players who want DS back. Either they played it originally or like myself, discovered it and loved it.
You can talk about classes but you've really got talk about the setting that brought psionics to the forefront of gameplay.

I don't think a "psion" class is needed for Dark Sun. Dark Sun was based on Gamma World, with the psionic powers (nice and random and weird in 2nd edition) filling in for mutations. The psion class itself was completely broken in 2nd edition, so was not usually allowed, even in Dark Sun.

I suspect when people say "you need a psion for Dark Sun" they are really thinking of 3rd edition Dark Sun, or testosterone fuelled adolescent power trips where the PCs became dragon kings.

Dispater

Explorer
I don't think a "psion" class is needed for Dark Sun. Dark Sun was based on Gamma World, with the psionic powers (nice and random and weird in 2nd edition) filling in for mutations. The psion class itself was completely broken in 2nd edition, so was not usually allowed, even in Dark Sun.

I suspect when people say "you need a psion for Dark Sun" they are really thinking of 3rd edition Dark Sun, or testosterone fuelled adolescent power trips where the PCs became dragon kings.

Nothing wrong about adolescent power trips. It's part of the game after all.
Psionicists were integral to Dark Sun 2e. Psionics was everywhere, everyone had a wild talent. It is obvious that the setting brought psionics to the front, and in a future version, people will feel robbed if psionics was not included.

Psionicist class not allowed in games? So why did they put it in?

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
You can do that already. Play an Eldritch Knight. Learn Green Flame Blade, Jump and Catapult. Find a Sunsword.

Star Wars tropes are very frequent occurrences in our games.

Also had fun with a wand of Flame Blade, borrowed from Pathfinder.

1. I don’t want to cast magic or use spell slots. I want to use the mechanics of the Psi Knight.

2. No DM I’ve ever played with has ever permitted any of the cantrips from SCAG. I’m literally the only DM of those groups I’m (or was) a part of that lets people use it.

EDIT: Lord, I’m up early. My brain can’t seem to remember how to phrase sentences properly...

Remove ads