• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hero Points / Action Points - Yay or Nay?

Should 5E include some form of Hero Point or Action Point mechanic?

• Yes, as part of Core.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • Yes, but only as a module.

Votes: 93 66.9%
  • No, not at all.

Votes: 17 12.2%

• Poll closed .

Herschel

Adventurer
I like them and would like to see a base version of them even in Core, something along the lines of gaining advantage on you next roll as a benefit.

There could be many options on top of that.

In a module, to represent that extra "push" of adrenalin I'd like to have them grant an extra action but you only gain one the first time you become bloodied in a battle.

Or just gain one every time you to help represent revitalization (though tough to balance and in 4E this would have broken the game for melee strikers if the limit on one per encounter were lifted. In 5E it would likely have to be limited to gaining an advantage roll)

Etc.

I love the direction this poll and thread are going.

I'm a huge fan of hero point / action point systems in just about any configuration I've seen them, and would love to see them continue in D&D Next - as part of a "hero point" module.

KidSnide

Adventurer
Finally, I absolutely despise an Action Point mechanic that is based on getting a set amount per level, and when they are used they are gone. I dislike nearly as much such a mechanic based on the idea of very rarely getting them. It's not much of a currency if people can't spend them because they have to save them for an emergency.

Totally agreed. "Per level" resources assume too much about the pace of advancement, which needs to be adjustable without changing half a dozen other rules.

-KS

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I am a fan of a system that allows a player to do something they cannot always do, once in awhile. So, I am for something like points.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Rhenny

Adventurer
When I used to play Star Wars d6, they had character points and force points. Character points gave an extra die roll per point expended. You also saved your character points to increase your skills. Force points were major game changers. They would let you double the amount of dice you rolled for one task (a 4d6 roll became an 8d6 roll). I liked these bonuses in that game system, but I'm not sure if I'd like them in D&D.

Action Points, Fate points, or whatever you call them, may suit some campaigns, but not others. It has to be optional/mod.

Holy Bovine

First Post
This to me is a prime example of what the 'rule modules' should be tackling. I've used APs in the past (one of the most common usages I found? In 3E using an AP to duplicate the effects of a feat you didn't have for a round - I saw more APs burned this way than any other bar 4Es rather dull 'another standard action'.)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I really like Action Points. I'd put some form of them in the core and maybe include a more elaborate system as a module. I have yet to find an RPG that isn't improved by giving a player good tools to choose when to push their character's performance. The real challenge here is picking the right tool.
  • Mutants and Masterminds' use of hero points, gained when PCs suffer setbacks or deal with complications, works great for the superhero genre. These debuted with 2e of that game and I think they work much better than they did in 1e.
  • James Bond 007's Hero points worked well. I thought they were slow to regenerate, though.
  • SWSE's Force points worked well for Star Wars, but I don't think the Destiny points worked as well. Basing the number you get on level could, however, be a problem if you spent LONG durations at a particular level of play.
  • The action points in 3.5's Unearthed Arcana worked pretty well for D&D/PF and are nice and flexible. They suffer the same problem as Force points in SWSE - based on level. It's not a major problem if level-ups happen relatively frequently, but could be trouble with really long level durations.
  • 4e's action points were, I think, far too limited. They were good for taking an extra action, but I think heroic games benefit better from being able to push a desperate but failing action into a success rather than being able to take another action.
  • Marvel Super Heroes' Karma points had some nice uses, but the gaining (and loss) of Karma points hampered the system.
  • Torg probably relies a little too much on the cards and oddball maneuvering to regain them, but the breadth of things you can do with the cards is pretty cool. The Possibilities subsystem, particularly for NPCs, is a bit too much though.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I would definitely like to see this as a supported module, much like Hero Points are a supported optional rule for Pathfinder.

I adore bennies in Savage Worlds, so even if this doesn't exist, I'll probably add them. In fact, almost every DM I've ever had has had some sort of similar system they use.

I suggest a default of three per session. Spending one grants you advantage on a roll, or negates disadvantage. You can spend it after you roll.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads