• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hero Points?

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
My players nicknamed the island of the first module "Death Island" for a reason. Lots of environmental hazards, diseases and pretty much every critter on the island is poisonous.

The environmental issues continue even after the island...

In fact, many times the party is asking - why are we doing this, again?

Sometimes the encounters are tough enough when you're at full strength, but when your character's CON has been drained down by poison, disease, etc. (and there's no access to restoration), it becomes so much harder that it's teetering on the edge of "why bother?".

When my group left the island and reached civilization they picked up lesser restoration and anti-toxin potions. Now that they are mostly through the second book, they have adapted and pretty much shrug off poison and disease. Having a cleric and druid along helps quite a bit in that regard.

If you don't have access to a divine caster in your party I could see it being very tough going unless you spend what wealth you find on potions and the like.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
When my group left the island and reached civilization they picked up lesser restoration and anti-toxin potions. Now that they are mostly through the second book, they have adapted and pretty much shrug off poison and disease. Having a cleric and druid along helps quite a bit in that regard.

If you don't have access to a divine caster in your party I could see it being very tough going unless you spend what wealth you find on potions and the like.

We have a divine caster, but one of the diseases caused permanent Con drain, which can only be cured by regular restoration (not lesser restoration). It's depressing.

Queranil

First Post
I was reading the Pathfinder_OGC and my eyes fell on the chapter on Hero Points. I´ve some questions:

-are you using them in your game, and if so, does it work well?

-how do you distribute them? Do you just say to the players at the beginning of the game that you have one and how they´re used, or do you try to incorporate them ingame (ritual, special equipment, etc?).

Asmo

My first experience with Hero Points (HP) was in the form of Action Points (AP) (from Unearthed Arcana still in 3.5 time) which are basically the same. I like to see the Hero/Action Points as tools for players to make sure they succeed at a critical moment or extraordinary action, not so much as a tool to cheat death.

I use the rules from Pathfinder on aquiring HP and expand their uses with those listed in Uneathed Arcana. Especally the option to use a HP to aquire a feat for just one round (or enhancing a feat you already have) is fun and can be effective when used by a creative player.

The main drawback IMHO is that both player's and GM's may become a little careless thinking that the HP will save them anyway. With this in mind, HP become passive lifesavers.

Remove ads