Heroes of Deepwater Story Guide

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Jeryth Sterrob
Stats: hf / 2nd level rogue / neutral
Homeland: The City-state of Deepwater
Source: D&D 2nd Edition (Forgotten Realms) 1993 Trading Card #267 [Justina Sittas]
Personality: Contemplative, straightforward, and resolute.
Description: This beautiful woman's job includes approaching every ship at the Deepwater piers every day to collect dock taxes. If taxes are not paid, the ship must leave port immediately. If the tax evaders refuse to leave the docks, she calls 2-8 constables who arrive in 2-20 rounds to arrest the fee dodgers.
_________________________________________________​

Quallos de Vries, The Rake
Stats: hm / 2nd level swashbuckler / chaotic good
Homeland: The City-state of Deepwater
Source: D&D 2nd Edition (Forgotten Realms) 1993 Trading Card #304 [Artemus Dimartius]
Personality: Openhearted, prideful, and zany.
Description: Quallos de Vries is a swaggering buffoon with a good heart. He's far better at telling tales to impress the ladies in the bars of Deepwater than performing deeds of derring-do, but his skills are improving. His last 'duel' was with a thief that stole a lady's purse.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Regarding Tyrian halflings:
For Tyrian halflings have a tendency to eat intelligent foes. They see little difference between eating a horse and eating an elf. This tendency makes them unwelcome in most of the civilized lands surround the Great Expanse, especially in the lands of the Chara Coast. The fact that a group of Tyrian halflings have forcefully taken up residence in the small forest located east of Deepwater hasn't helped relations. The citizens of the coastal region often call these halflings the Unworthy.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
MAP REFRESH!

This map used to be called "South of Izmer." This was mainly due to laziness. Its new name better reflects the prominence of Wyrmgard Island in the region. However, while Dragonhold is a major port city, it isn't the largest in the region. Most of the major cities along Harqual's western coast are considerably larger.

Deepwater is one of the largest, and it has more than a few retired adventurers living amongst its people. However, my Deepwater will be less about the major NPCs re-skinned from the city of Waterdeep of the Forgotten Realms and more about the newest heroes to arise in the region. There is no such thing as canon for my version of the City of Splendors, and, indeed, Deepwater does not have the polish of Waterdeep.

In some ways, it can be downright dirty.

Attachments

• Wyrmgard Island Region.jpg
    Wyrmgard Island Region.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 384

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Some details copied over from my old map thread...
------------------------------------------------------------------
I can also tell you that the Wyrmgard Holds, as the towns of Wyrmgard Island are known, have a lot of enemies, with the City of Eversink and the Kingdom of Izmer being the most prominent. However, the wicked denizens of this island have allies of their own -- most notably the tabaxi of the Storm Jungle, the denizens of region known as Caer Valora, and the monkish followers of Xuar from the Owelga Dominion.

As a result, the Islands of Hawkgard and Wyrmgard are at a constant state of war. Only this has kept the Kingdom of Izmer from pulling its support from the Hawkgard Holds. The Queen of Izmer fears what would happen if the denizens of Wyrmgard Island conquered Hawkgard Island.

The third power in this region is The Shining City, also known as the City of Deepwater. This city is my version of the City of Waterdeep, designed to fit into Harqual's history. Thus, it isn't a "Transformation" city, instead once being a part of the Empire of Swords. It was also one of the first cities to rebel against the Old Sword Imperium after the end of the Mortals' War.

It is famous for its cosmopolitan citizens and manufactured goods. The citizens of Deepwater are as civilized as those of Sumdall, but not as dominated by arcanists. It is ruled by a group of powerful men and women known as the Lords of the Free City and it controls the two major communities near it -- Dorhout Town and Glanskust Town. (I've now added more. -KF)

It is also famous for the dungeon complex that exists below it -- known as Bergunter Masse, or Mountain under the Earth. This dungeon/ruin is a huge underground labyrinth filled with monsters and deadly traps. It attracts adventurers from all over the Southern Heartlands, as its deep halls and corridors are also filled with treasure. It is also become the tomb of many, and powerful undead are said to stalk its lower levels. It also connects to the Underearth.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
AROUND DEEPWATER

Copied over from my maps thread...
---------------------------------------------------
Here's a new map that shows the area surrounding the city of Deepwater on Harqual's western coast. Many of the locales from this map are taken from an old DRAGON Magazine article by Ed Greenwood. The article is from issue #128 and has a really cool map. :cool:

I've changed most of the names as I did with Waterdeep. If anyone can guess the original names, they win two cool points.

There are several homebrewed locales on the map, however. So don't hurt your brains. :p

Attachments

• Around Deepwater.JPG
    Around Deepwater.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 424

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Faerûnian Organizations [For Harqual]

These FR power groups have a place in this campaign setting. Note that some of them will be very different than the official FR material.

Agents of the Eye
Blackstaff Academy
City Guard [of Deepwater]
City Navy [of Deepwater]
City Watch [of Deepwater]
College of the Eclipse [College of the Twin Moons]
Cult of the Dragon *
The Destroyers [The Purge]
Eltorchul Academy (to be renamed)
The Gray Hands
Griffon Cavalry
Halaster's Heirs [Helm's Heritors]
The Kaliesh-Erai [The Mindful]
Order of the Aster (maybe)
Order of the Blue Moon [Order of the Water Moon]
Order of the Sun Soul
The Plague Rats
Red Sashes
Stray Thoughts [Streugedanken]
The Unseen (maybe)
Watchful Order of Magists & Protectors

*My version of the cult can be found anywhere on Kulan.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
This PDF file shows how to pick a deity for a Deepwater campaign set in the Lands of Harqual.

Attachments

• Realms Deity Conversion Chart.pdf
    135.4 KB · Views: 441

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Harqualian Timeline

Attached you will find an updated timeline for the Lands of Harqual, including the history of Deepwater incorporating the timeline from the Campaign Guide book in the AD&D 2nd Edition City of Splendors boxed set. I may also backdate some events from the D&D 3E City of Splendors: Waterdeep sourcebook into my Harqualian timeline, but I haven't decided yet.

Attachments

• Harqualian Timeline.rtf
    133.2 KB · Views: 457

Remove ads