• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes of...

JoeGKushner

First Post
Snotlord said:
I was thinking about crunch and advice for intrigue n' warfare style games, not a campaign set in Martin's world, but I'll check it out.

d20 you say? I did not know that. The artwork looked great. I usually shy away from basement publishers because of poor art, but this looks pretty good.
Thank you for the link.

Well, Guardians of Order may be many things, but basement publishers they are not. Check out their limited edition BESM d20 book for an example of a living color manga or their Slayers d20 book. Good stuff there.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Mouseferatu said:
I really wouldn't hold my breath, were I you. Oh, I'm not saying it's impossible that there will someday be a viking supplement, but you're not going to see low-magic.

Well, thpppt.... there are already dozens of poorly reasearched, pseudo-viking, supplements on the market. To be honest, if Wizards just wants to churn out yet another bad Aesterix spoof, I'd rather that didn't tackle the subject matter at all.

jdrakeh said:
Well, thpppt.... there are already dozens of poorly reasearched, pseudo-viking, supplements on the market. To be honest, if Wizards just wants to churn out yet another bad Aesterix spoof, I'd rather that didn't tackle the subject matter at all.

High-fantasy doesn't mean poorly researched. To offer a personal example, Egyptian Adventures: Hamunaptra has Egyptian analogues of all the D&D races, the casters, and the like. It's no lower-magic than core D&D.

It was also heavily researched. While nobody would claim it's a historical treatise, we made sure to base the culture heavily off historical fact where possible, and our decisions on how to shape and present the magic were based on historical beliefs and practices of the time.

Sure, whenever there was a conflict between gameplay or fantasy and historical accuracy, we went for the former--but that's not to say we ignored the latter.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Mouseferatu said:
High-fantasy doesn't mean poorly researched.

Well, that's fair - but it does mean high-fantasy, and therefore is likely to have very little in common with actual recorded history past some carefully chosen names and other window dressing (for instance, there simply is no true Egyptian analogue for D&D Elves as far as recorded history is concerned).

Sure, whenever there was a conflict between gameplay or fantasy and historical accuracy, we went for the former--but that's not to say we ignored the latter.

No, but when I said I wanted a viking supplement I meant that I wanted a viking supplement, not yet another winged helmets, rune-magicked, faux historical setting. I didn't mean to infer that such things were bad, but rather overdone (Egypt is an exception, obviously). Another faux historical viking setting is, regardless of who publishes it, just another faux historical viking setting among dozens.

Last edited:

Wraith Form

Explorer
demiurge1138 said:
Heroes of Crime: Running heist games, thieves and assassins guilds and info on things like black markets, gambling and bookmaking in a fantasy setting.
*schwiiiiiiiing*

Oh yeah, baby.

Oh yeah. Right there....no, over to the left a litt--oh yeah.

Last edited:

DMH

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
In the vein of the "Heroes of the Ages" idea above, how about something more focused- "Heroes of the Stone Age?"

Or how about of the Golden Age?

Though it would focus very strongly on shamans, I think of the Spirit Realm could be a very useful book.

deadboydex

Explorer
Intrigue and swashbuckling genre books are most likely on the way. I'd bet money on it. Heroes of Mystery is also probable, though it could be folded into Intrigue.

Space and post-apocalyptic fantasy genre books would be awesome and I'd buy them in a hot second, but they don't seem likely to me, and not just because they overlap with d20 Modern territory. The "Heroes of" books so far seem to be about genres that work not just as entire campaigns, but single adventures as well. Expanding your campaign into space or ending civilization doesn't seem like a one-shot deal to me. Something like Heroes of the Lost World seems more workable. Space, Air and Undersea would make awesome Environment Series books, though.

I would not even begin to speculate as to WotC's plans for OA. The somewhat-mishandled first attempt may have soured them on publishing a revision, or further psuedohistorical settings.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads