Hewligan's Rise of the Runelords: The Skinsaw Murders

hewligan

First Post
The first part of this adventure, Burnt Offerings, spawned an 1100+ post thread, and took about 10 months to complete. The full thread is here, for those who wish to review what has gone before.

This thread will mark part two of the Rise of the Runelords adventure path. We will be continuing with the existing cast, perhaps drawing in a new player if required as the adventure unfolds. The cast of players and characters that survived the assault of a crazy gang of goblins driven by a woman turned to demonic madness by her haunted past are:

Jokad The Reaver, Shoanti Human, Shadde Quah - Axe Clan Barbarian, Level 3, Ranger, Level 1. Played by Frostrune

Danth Brinfield, known to his flock as Father Danth, Favoured of Sarenrae, Servant of the People of Magnimar, Human, Cleric, Level 4. Played by Rhun

Kael Saern, Human (Varisian), Sorcerer, Level 4. Played by Friadoc

Jovik Magnix, Human (Chelaxian-Magnimar), Rogue, Level 4. Played by Fenric

The Out of Character thread will continue in the same place as the old one. We are not huge users of the OOC thread, tending to drop small OOC comments into the IC thread with a clear "OOC" tag. However, major announcements, general chat, and holiday/absence info should still be posted to the OOC thread.

And now, on with the adventure ...

Last edited:

hewligan

First Post
Sheriff Hemlock's Plea

Kael paces the room, Mal following him with heckles and tension. The dog reflects his master's unease. A prisoner. A mistaken prisoner. His name dragged into the dirt after such service to this town. He had spent three days now as a free man.

"It was all a mix up. A terrible mistake. We just thought that precaution, as much for your own safety, and also to be sure. Just to be sure. These are terrible times. Terrible, dark times."

Hemlock had stammered his way through an apology, looking broken. His face was drawn, so clearly tired, so close to exhaustion. But word had leaked, and some people now looked at Kael with clear disdain. He was innocent, of course, and the third murder that had occurred during his captivity was clear proof of that, but, well, Hemlock was keeping things secret. Nobody knew that there had been a third murder. They knew only of the second, the one that Kael had been implicated in.

He had gone from hero of Sandpoint, Charter of the Wolves of Sandpoint, for Desna's sake, and now, now people would leave the Hagfish as he entered. Not Ameiko, though. She always offered him a smile, and a cold beer. And not Brodert, either. The old man had, it transpired, spent most days petitioning Sheriff Hemlock and Mayor Deverin of Kael's innocence. Hemlock himself had told Kael just how ... forceful ... the old man had been. Forceful enough that Hemlock had once had to restrain him.

Brodert had much to tell Kael upon his release. He had not been back down to the Catacombs, had been to wise to travel into that dark recess unaccompanied, but he had done a lot of study. He had hit a bit of a dead end, and was not planning a trip to Magnimar. The thaws had come, the caravans would start to flow, and he would take one south to the capital and visit the libraries and sages there.

Brodert had spent hours in animated conversation with Kael that first night of release. "Lad, there are seven runes that repeat, and the seven pointed star. The runes, well, the catacombs repeats one over and over. I think it is wrath. WRATH! I know it means nothing to you, but it is eating at me. I have seen it before. I must travel south. Tomorrow I travel south. Heck, it is already arranged. Even Burnt Sausage, my cat, is all ready to join me. Whatever I find out, I will report back. Stay strong, and ignore any of these fools that cast you glances. You are better than them!"

He was, but that did not make it any easier, especially as he had been alone then, with only Mal as a companion. But Desna smiled, and Danth arrived back in town. Kael learned also that Jovik and Jokad were only a day or two travel from arriving back themselves, summoned to help Sandpoint find the true murderer.

So here he was, three days after his release, pacing the tower room at the top of Hemlock's quarters of the garrison, waiting for Danth, Jovik, Jokad, and Hemlock to turn up. He knew his friends had arrived back. He had heard the commotion earlier in the day, but he had not been able to see them yet. They had been taken into garrison for food and water, and a cold bath, and then Jovik had reportedly returned home to visit his family while Jokad had disappeared towards a certain pub he favoured. Kael had seen Danth, twice, but the young priest seemed changed somewhat, and had spent most of his time in the temple and with Mayor Deverin. Kael had managed to have a meal with him the day before, and the easy warmth between them soon came back, but Kael could sense a more serious aspect to his friend.

It was funny to think of them as friends. In truth he had only known then for a few short weeks. He had spent much more time than that with Nisk and Brodert since, and yet the horrific danger that he had faced and overcome with these other three young men had crafted them into more than just necessary acquaintances.

---

When the door opened, Hemlock walked in, a bottle of red wine under one arm, five simple tumblers piled in the other. He looked up at Kael, the young sorcerer's face caught in the firelight and cast into strong shadow. Hemlock nodded a greeting and moved to the small table to lay down the wine.

Behind him Danth entered. The cleric, dressed in the finery of a city priest, looked more regal than any figure Kael had seen in recent memory. Danth smiled, and moved to clasp his friend's hand.

Jokad and Jovik came through next, lost in some shared joke. Jokad turned to close the heavy wooden door, and immediately rushed over to embrace Mal. The dog seemed pleased to meet his old buddy, the crazy barbarian who was always throwing him bones and fat. Only when Jokad had finished rough-housing the dog did he rise to clasp Kael in a warm hug.

"Sucks to be you, mate!" he offered, cracking into a broad grin. "I hear you spent a winter with old folks, and the first of the thaws in jail. You should ask young Jovik here what he has been up to. Sex, mainly, as far as I can tell. Certainly better than your winter!" His laughter lightens the room, as he moves over to take the first glass of wine.

Jovik offers Kael a wicked grin, and grasps his friend's hand warmly. He then moves over to greet Danth as well, muttering under his breath, but loud enough for everyone to hear "It wasn't ALL sex".

When the talk has quietened down, and everyone has a glass of wine in their hands, Hemlock starts to speak.

"First, let me thank you again for all you’ve done for Sandpoint. I owe Kael my deepest apologies. I am sure you have all heard of the ... unfortunate situation that occurred. Kael was leasing an alchemical workspace from one of the three victims. This, unfortunately, was a murder discovered by someone outside the guard, and word spread. We took Kael in, just to eliminate suspects, but we may have done more harm than good, and I can only offer my sincerest apologies for that mistake. Things, however, are bad, and I have been uncertain how to proceed in this matter.

It’s fortunate that you’ve proven yourselves so capable, because we’ve a problem that I think you can help us with—a problem that I wish I didn’t have to involve anyone with, but one that needs dealing with now before the situation grows worse.

Put simply, and as I am sure you all know by now, we have a murderer in our midst—one who, I fear, has only begun his work. Some of you doubtless remember the Late Unpleasantness, how this town nearly tore itself apart in fear as Chopper’s slayings went on unanswered. I’m afraid we might have something similar brewing now.

Last night, the murderer struck again, this time at the sawmill. There are two victims, and they’re… they’re in pretty gruesome shape. The bodies were discovered by one of the mill workers, a man named Ibor Thorn, and by the time my men and I arrived on the scene, a crowd of curious gawkers had already sprung up. I’ve got my men stationed there now, keeping the mill locked down, but the thing that bothers me isn’t the fact that we have two dead bodies inside. It’s the fact that this is actually the fourth set of murders we’ve had in the last few weeks.

I come to you for help in this matter—my men are good, but they are also green. They were barely able to handle themselves against the goblins, and what we’re facing now is an evil far worse than goblins. I need the help. But I’m afraid you’ll need the help too. You see, I’m afraid that this particular murderer knows one of you as well.
"

At this point, Hemlock reaches into his belt pouch, and passes a bloodstained scrap of parchment to Jokad.

Jokad's name is written in blood on the outside of the folded parch-
ment; inside is a short message written in blood:

"We have spoken of this before, my master. Now it begins. Join the Pack and it will end."

Friadoc

Explorer
As the other Wolves arrive, Kael's spirits lighten, slightly, however the edge of time held is still upon his manner and demeanor. But, Kael still greets his friends with heart handshakes, hugs, and backslaps.

"It is good to have you here," says Kael. "Friendly faces are good, albeit it in short supply for me."

"There is no need for an apology, Sheriff," says Kael with a wry look upon his normally pleasant face. "I'm accustom to right face, wrong place...it is a familial tradition."

After listening to the Sheriff's words, Kael adds one piece of information as he says, "The seven pointed star has to do with the Runelords of ancient times, such as the Runelord of Wrath, who seemed to be associated with the catacombs. Brodert and I found as much when we were researching the symbol and its meaning on devices."

The last part is left unsaid, since Kael and his associates, to his knowledge, have lost track of the key-symbol from before.

"Regardless of the circumstances, Sheriff, as well as the need to clear my name," continues Kael. "I'm a Wolf of Sandpoint, which doesn't end because of speculation, presumption, and misunderstanding."

"Hopefully action will clear up what words cannot," finishes Kael.

frostrune

First Post
At this point, Hemlock reaches into his belt pouch, and passes a bloodstained scrap of parchment to Jokad.

Jokad's name is written in blood on the outside of the folded parch-
ment; inside is a short message written in blood:

"We have spoken of this before, my master. Now it begins. Join the Pack and it will end."

"BY THE GODS, WHAT FOUL JOKE IS THIS?" Jokad thunders as he erupts from his chair.

"I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS!" he protests loudly. "I AM NO ONE'S MASTER.... AND NO ONE IS MINE!!"

"I WILL RIP THE HEAD FROM THIS FOOL WITH MY BARE HANDS AND PUT IT ON A PIKE FOR ALL TO SEE!!"

Jokad is shouting and obviously on the verge of slipping into his animalistic rage.

Friadoc

Explorer
"Calm yourself, Jokad," says Kael in a confident voice. "Someone is trying to incriminate us, rather heavy handedly...obviously so, I'd think."

"It's a common con," adds Kael. "Sort of, where someone controls a grouping of false information, releases it per their own agenda, thus throwing the focus on an investigation of."

OOC

I wish I could think of a term for gaslight that would fit a fantasy game, maybe ghostlighting would work?

frostrune

First Post
"Calm yourself, Jokad," says Kael in a confident voice. "Someone is trying to incriminate us, rather heavy handedly...obviously so, I'd think."

"It's a common con," adds Kael. "Sort of, where someone controls a grouping of false information, releases it per their own agenda, thus throwing the focus on an investigation off."

"EH?", Jokad stops his bellowing and cocks an eyebrow at Kael.

It is obvious he has no idea what you are talking about but your speech has the desired effect; he regains some measure of composure.

The imposing barbarian sits back down in a huff. His jovial reaction to his friends completely gone.

Friadoc

Explorer
"EH?", Jokad stops his bellowing and cocks an eyebrow at Kael.

It is obvious he has no idea what you are talking about but your speech has the desired effect; he regains some measure of composure.

The imposing barbarian sits back down in a huff. His jovial reaction to his friends completely gone.

"It's a setup, Jokad," says Kael. "Someone wants people to think we're doing this, so that they can work unhindered."

Fenris

Adventurer
"Well, I think it is more blackmail than a set up. There is no indication of blame in the note, just a threat that it will continue unless we comply. The first murders were to draw Jokad back. It wasn't until he was back that a note was left. It's a message system." says Jovik a little too matter of factly. Maybe he had been at Fort Ranncik too long. Or around an elf too much.

"We need to find who this is, and what this Pack is."

Rhun

First Post
Danth takes everything in quietly, scratching his clean-shaven chin as he considers the words of the sheriff, and those of his companions. Finally, he leans forward in his chair and speaks, his voice low. "I think that whatever is going on is much larger than the rest of you believe...While Sandpoint seems to be hit the worst, we've also had murders of the same sort in Magnimar. One at least that I can be certain of."

hewligan

First Post
The Clues ... for what they are worth

Sheriff Hemlock listens to you debate, staring into his glass of wine. When the conversation reaches a natural lull, he tosses back his wine in a single go, and speaks.

"There was another murder, similar, in Magnimar at the start of the autumn. Danth knows about it, for it was the priest in charge of his church that was the victim. I heard about it eventually myself, in one of our monthly missives from the city, but discounted it as a stand alone act of barbarity.

And then when we got the first here, I repressed it. I kept the news within the core of the guard, and Mayor Deverin, of course. The public never found out about it. The second one, Nisk, was a different matter. A man who had bought a 'love potion' returned to complain that his privates had turned purple and swollen, when he found Nisk's body. There was blood everywhere, and much carnage to the work area. The man fled, screaming like a child, and managed to pull a crowd. We dealt with that. We screwed up, if truth be told.
"

He says this last part, looking at Kael.

"And then the third and fourth together just last night, and another public discovery. Sandpoint is at breaking point. We are ill equipped for this. The people speak of Chopper again, of the Late Unpleasantness. I fear that they may start to act out of fear. Last time we saw mobs lynching suspects. I cannot afford for that to happen again, not after the recent horrors of the goblin attack. We really need you!

So far we have little to go on. My guys and gals are good guards, but they are not trained for this. I wanted you here first to ask for your assistance, but also just to be a visible presence again.

Anyway, we are not without some leads, albeit thin and rather disjointed.

First we have the Sandpoint Lumber Mill. The most recent murders took place here—the two bodies are still present, and little has been done with the crime scene itself. I guess that this is probably the first place you should investigate, and truth be told I would like to get it cleaned up before the stench become ingrained. We also want to bury the bodies, but for the time being we have just left everything in its place.

Next we have Ibor Thorn. He is the poor fool that stumbled upon the scene at the Lumber Mill. I have interrogated Ibor, and I don't suspect the frightened miller is guilty of anything other than spreading the news around town.

Then there is Ven Vinder. This merchant is my only suspect, although I am fairly certain that Ven is innocent and that the murders were committed by someone else.

In regards to the first murder. Well, actually it was three ... Three con men from the town of Galduria were found murdered in an abandoned barn south of town a few weeks ago. Their bodyguard survived the assault but has gone insane and is being kept at a nearby sanatorium. You are welcome to question him, although I doubt you will get any sense out of him.

Last we have the Rune: The star was carved on the chest of two of the merchants, on Nisk, and on Harker - one of the workers at the Mill. This clearly has some significance to the killer, but I am at a loss as to what it means. Perhaps an expert on runes such as local scholar Brodert Quink can be consulted, although I hear he is leaving for Magnimar on the first wagon out of here. He isn't a suspect - he has been working with Kael on something of late. Isn't that right lad?

Hemlock finishes up his speech, and slumps against the nearest wall, a tired, almost broken man.

Remove ads