D&D (2024) Hex fix

mellored

Legend
So hex is terrible on the new warlock. I propose this as a fix, making it a more central part of the warlock.

Hex
Enchantment Cantrip (warlock)
Casting Time: Bonus Action
Range: 90 feet
Component: V,S
Duration: 1 hour, or until you use this again.
Choose one of the six abilities whenever you cast the spell. The target has Disadvantage on ability checks made with the chosen ability.
A Remove Curse spell cast on the target ends this spell early.
Cantrip upgrade
Level 3: once per turn when you deal damage to the target, it takes an extra 1d6 damage of a type determined by your Pact.
In addition, when the target is reduced to 0 hit points, you gain a Blessing determined by you Pact.
Level 5, increase the damage to 2d6 and the duration to 24 hours. You can have 2 hex targets at once. If you use this against a third target, it is removed from the first one.
Level 11, Increase the damage to 3d6, the duration to 1 year, and the maximum number of targets to your casting modifier (minimum 2).
Level 17, Increase the damage to 4d6, the duration is permanent, and there is no limit to the number of targets.

New Invocation
Opportune Hex:
When the target of your Hex takes damage while it is not your turn, you can use your reaction to add the Hex damage to the damage delt.

Double Hex (level 5)
When you cast hex, you can target 2 creatures at once.

Hex Master (level 17, Double Hex)
When you cast Hex, you can target every creature in range.

And other fun features can stack on it. Like Fey making target of your Hex get lost. Or GOO preventing them from resting due to bad dreams.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Hex is not terrible. It is exactly the same spell, with the limit of the extra damage applying once per turn. This was an essential fix, because of the multiple beams of Eldritch Blast. The correction was long overdue. Adding the extra damage to one of those beams makes sense. Adding it to all of them was broken.

Hex is not terrible. It is exactly the same spell, with the limit of the extra damage applying once per turn. This was an essential fix, because of the multiple beams of Eldritch Blast. The correction was long overdue. Adding the extra damage to one of those beams makes sense. Adding it to all of them was broken.
was hunter's mark hit the same way? or can a warlock grab hunters mark and do better?

Applying to every beam was the only thing that made Hex worthwhile. The 1D&D version is a trap.

kilpatds

Explorer
Applying to every beam was the only thing that made Hex worthwhile. The 1D&D version is a trap.
and I'll point out, even applying to everything it was still often a trap after about 5th level. It was a quick&dirty "Ok, I need to be able to pretend to contribute in combat. Lemme spend 2 levels on that, and then never think of it again" tactic, not something actually good.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
and I'll point out, even applying to everything it was still often a trap after about 5th level. It was a quick&dirty "Ok, I need to be able to pretend to contribute in combat. Lemme spend 2 levels on that, and then never think of it again" tactic, not something actually good.
Eh, when you can cast it once a day it’s pretty good. Depends on what you adventuring days look like.

Remove ads