D&D 5E Hexblade Build

Werebat

Explorer
So I think I'm going with a human variant hexblade in an upcoming "Curse of Strahd" campaign. She worships the Raven Queen and was taken from the 4e lands of Myrror Vale or whatever it's called.

DM is adjusting the quirk of her binding the spirits of dead enemies to just summoning a "shadow mastiff", with identical stats to a spectre, because Raven Queen hates the undead and creating spectres in Ravenloft is probably a big no-no for anyone who ever wants to leave.

So far what I have seems pretty boiler plate. Start with a Cha of 15, +1 from Vuman to 16.

1: Polearm Mastery
2: Invocations (Devil's Sight, Grasp of Hadar)
3:
4: +2 Cha to 18
5: Invocation: Thirsting Blade
6: (Accursed Spectre, modified to a shadow mastiff)
7: Invocation: Tomb of Levistus
8: +2 Cha to 20
9: Invocation: ???
10: (Armor of Hexes)
11:
12: Invocation: Lifedrinker (And a feat???)

I am not building past level 12 because I am not sure Curse of Strahd goes much past that.

Does anyone see any glaring errors or lost opportunities here? My other concept was a multiclass College of Swords Bard with 1 or 3 levels of Hexblade using TWF, but I'm leaning more towards pure Hexblade.

mellored

Legend
Looks fine.

Consider taking scouting invocations if you plan on using darkness for advantage. Hex isn't great with polearm master.

Werebat

Explorer
I was actually leaning towards Hex (which is a spell, not an invocation). What's wrong with it on polearm master?

Oh, is it the bonus action required to move it from one target to another?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I was actually leaning towards Hex (which is a spell, not an invocation). What's wrong with it on polearm master?

Oh, is it the bonus action required to move it from one target to another?

Basically. You will probably be giving up every other bonus action attack trying to keep hex up (not to mention it's concentration and you could lose concentration).

I recommend using either armor of agathys when you can pre prep it. When you can't I recommend using Hellish Rebuke (If you use hellish rebuke instead of hex you will do about as much damage in the day as you would have with hex).

(level 2 spell slot hellish rebuke does) 3d10 save for half (average 13.2 assuming a 60% failed save chance). Assuming a 60% chance to hit hex will net you about 2.1 DPR per attack. It will take over 6 attacks to make up for the damage of 1 hellish rebuke at this level.

If we look at level 5 then a level 3 hellish rebuke does 4d10 save for half. (average 17.6 assuming a 60% failed save chance). Hex still nets about 2.1 DPR per attack. It will take over 8 attacks for hex to do more damage.

Also keep in mind that the non-hex version will have more attacks because using hex takes away a few bonus action attacks. My basic conclusion is that you are almost always better off not using hex with a pure warlock on a character that can bonus action attack.

bkwrm79

Villager
You could consider Improved Pact Weapon until you find a magical weapon, but I think that would be a fairly even trade with either Grasp of Hadar or Tomb of Levistus - damage versus control versus survivability. Or take it if you don't have a magic weapon at level 9.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Funny enough, I'm playing a similar character through Curse of Strahd. I'd suggest taking Sentinel to go with Polearm Master. For my character it was my 4th level feat, with Charisma ASI's at lvl 8 and 12 and Improved Pact Weapon invocation in the meantime to make up for it.

Remove ads