• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hexblade prestige class: Malice Bringer

Xulin

First Post
As the fugitive's sword clattered on the ground, Calen, member of the Queen's Guard, signaled the other members of his team to surround the fugitive.
"Surrender now, or fall to my blade villain!" Calen said. However, his quarry merely stared impassively, seemingly unimpressed by the loss of his weapon. "So be it!" Calen cried and he swung his blade at the man before him. However, at the last instant, the fugitive caught Calen's sword in one hand and it shattered in his grasp.
"I'm afraid you lose this time, Sir Knight," the fugitive said calmly to the surprised Calen. "That curse is but one of my many talents..." he said as he began chanting a spell that sent a wave of darkness springing forth from his body enveloping the team sent to capture him.

Malice Bringer

The Malice Bringer is a Hexblade who has expanded on his magical knowledge in order to further his spellcasting ability. In addition, he learns new ways to use his curse ability in a defensive manner, to survive casting his spells in the thick of melee.

Hit Die: d8.

Requirements
To qualify to become a Malice Bringer, a character must fulfil all of the following criteria:
Alignment: Any non good
Base Attack Bonus: +7
Skills: Concentration 10 ranks, Spellcraft 10 ranks.
Feats: Combat Casting.
Spells: Able to prepare and cast 2nd-level arcane spells.
Special: Hexblade's Curse ability.

Class Skills
The Malice Bringer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (int), Ride (Dex), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Malice Bringer advancement:
Code:
Level    BAB    Fort/Ref/Will    Special               Spells per Day
                                                       3rd 4th 5th 6th
1st      +0       +0/+0/+2       Hexblade's Curse      0*  -   -   -
2nd      +1       +0/+0/+3                             1   -   -   -
3rd      +2       +1/+1/+3       Foe of the Unlucky    1   0   -   -
4th      +3       +1/+1/+4       Sword's Bane          2   1   -   -
5th      +3       +1/+1/+4                             2   1   0   -
6th      +4       +2/+2/+5                             3   2   1   -
7th      +5       +2/+2/+5                             3   2   1   0
8th      +6       +2/+2/+6                             4   3   2   1
9th      +6       +3/+3/+6                             4   3   2   1
10th     +7       +3/+3/+7                             4   4   3   2

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Malice Bringers gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.
As with Hexblade spells, the somatic components for a Malice Bringer's spells do not incur an arcane spell falure chance as normal for arcane spells if the Malice Bringer is wearing light armor.

Malice Bringer Spells Known
Code:
Level    3rd    4th    5th    6th
1st      2      -      -      -
2nd      3      -      -      -
3rd      3      1      -      -
4th      4      2      -      -
5th      4      2      1      -
6th      4      3      2      -
7th      4      3      2      1
8th      4      4      3      2
9th      4      4      3      2
10th     4      4      4      3

Spells per Day: A Malice Bringer has the ability to cast a small number of arcane spells at 3rd level or higher. To cast a Malice Bringer spell, a character must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the spell's level, so if he has a Charisma of 12 or lower, he cannot cast any Malice Bringer spells. Bonus spells are based on Charisma, and saving throws against these spells have a DC of 10 + spell level + the Malice Bringer's Cha modifier. A Malice Bringer can choose spells from the hexblade spell list or the Malice Bringer spell list. A Malice Bringer's caster level for both his Malice Bringer spells and the spells he gains from other arcane spellcasting classes is determined by adding his Malice Bringer level, to his level in another arcane spellcasting class. If he had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming a Malice Bringer, he must choose which class to add his Malice Bringer levels for the purpose of determining his Malice Bringer spellcaster level. A Malice Bringer prepares and casts spells just as a sorcerer does.

Hexblade's Curse: A Malice Bringer adds his class level to his hexblade level to determine his number of daily uses of Hexblade's Curse and the DC, but not any other ablities (Dire Hexblade's Curse, etc...).

Foe of the Unlucky: The Malice Bringer gains Foe of the Unlucky as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Sword's Bane (Su): The Malice Bringer may sacrifice two of his daily uses of his Hexblade's curse to use this ability. Once per day, as an immediate action, he may use an affect similar to rusting grasp with the following exceptions: it may only be used on his opponent's weapon, it CAN affect magic weapons (though they are allowed a saving throw, as usual). The save DC is (10 + Malice Bringer's class level + his Cha modifier). Finally, because this is a curse that destroys a weapon by finding and exploiting a flaw in it's design (no weapon is perfect after all), the weapon does not have to be made of a ferrous metal to be affected by this ability.

Malice Bringer spell list:
3rd:
blindness/deafness, contagion, hold person, major image, sleet storm

4th:
black tentacles, confusion, giant vermin, hallucinatory terrain

5th:
animate dead, false vision, feeblemind, insect plague, nightmare, slay living,
waves of fatigue

6th:
acid fog, animate objects, dispel magic,greater, eyebite, harm, mislead,
repulsion

This is what I have so far.... I have to go so I shall work on this later, but any ideas for what the spell list for this class should be would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This feat appeared in Dragon #339
Code:
[B]Foe of the Unlucky [Hex][/B]
You may use your manipulation of
bad luck to hamper your foes.
  [B]Prerequisites:[/B] Curse ability.
  [B]Benifit:[/B] You may spend a daily
use of your hexblade's curse ability
to force an enemy who just confirmed
a critical hit to reroll his confirmation
roll. He must take the result of the
second roll. You may not use this
ability more than once per round.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

First Post
Your spellcasting progression seems very funky. Tell me, what are your design goals in creating a new spellcasting list and progression for the Malice Bringer? They may be possible to meet without a separate progression.

Perhaps a table with bonus spell slots per day (like the table for stat-dependent bonus spells in the Player's Handbook) and a table with bonus spells known. Each level gained in Malice Bringer advances the arcane spellcasting, like many prestige classes do, and gives bonus spells/day as per a table of bonuses granted per level. These extra slots may only be used to cast spells from the Hexblade spell list.

That provides many more Hexblade spell options than simply the Spells Known, adds plenty of Hexblade flavor to other arcane casters even if they are not primarily Hexblades, and ramps up the Hexblade's spells/day to make him more of a caster and curser than a warrior/mage. You can tweak the numbers on the table to match your concept.

I like the Sword's Bane ability, thematically. I'm not sure about the balance of it, but I'm sure other posters can help you with that. Where is "Foe of the Unlucky" found, and what does it do? Your prerequisites are pretty good, requiring at least one level of Hexblade to enter the PrC, but leaving other arcane casting options open to someone with enough BAB (+7 is hefty for all arcane casters except Hexblade, Duskblade, and maybe something I don't remember). Concievably, a Bard or a Wizard could become a Malice Bringer, with a 1-level dip in Hexblade first. Me, I like that kind of wierd flexibility in a Prestige Class.

Regardless, your charts should be in CODE tags, so that they look like this:
Code:
Level BAB  Fort/Ref/Will  Special              Spells per Day
                                               3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th
1st   +0    0 /  0  / 2   Hexblade's Curse      0*  -   -   -   -
2nd   +1    0 /  0  / 3                         1   -   -   -   -
3rd   +2    1 /  1  / 3   Foe of the Unlucky    1   0   -   -   -
4th   +3    1 /  1  / 4   Sword's Bane          2   1   -   -   -
5th   +3    1 /  1  / 4                         2   1   0   -   -
6th   +4    2 /  2  / 5                         3   2   1   -   -
7th   +5    2 /  2  / 5                         3   2   1   0   -
8th   +6    2 /  2  / 6                         4   3   2   1   -
9th   +6    3 /  3  / 6                         4   3   2   1   0
10th  +7    3 /  3  / 7                         4   4   3   2   1
Code:
Level 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th
1st    2   -   -   -   -
2nd    3   -   -   -   -
3rd    3   1   -   -   -
4th    4   2   -   -   -
5th    4   2   1   -   -
6th    4   3   2   -   -
7th    4   3   2   1   -
8th    4   4   3   2   -
9th    4   4   3   2   1
10th   4   4   4   3   2
You just need to put tags that look like this, without the spaces, around your charts:
[ C O D E ] ...your chart here... [ / C O D E ]
Try formatting them in Notepad first, to be sure they will look good.

Xulin

First Post
Thanks for the code tags Machiavelli. The idea of this class is to take your hexblade in a new direction with his spellcasting ability. You sacrifice BAB, some HP, the ability to use aura of unluck, and Dire Hexblade's curse to expand upon your spellcasting power. This class should be able to use spells that are more powerful than your average hexblade. However, in order to do this, you need to go past 4th level, and hexblades don't have spell lists after that. This class shouldn't go so far as to exceed a wizard of the same level, or a cleric, so the idea is to have a mix of debuff spells and utilitarian spells with some offensive spells thrown in for good measure - not the ever popular fireball, but of a similar vien to the hexblade's offensive spells. If done correctly I think this class can avoid balance issues:

v.s. Wizard: more hp, but spells never reaches 9th level, limited offensive spell capacity
v.s. Cleric: No heavy armor or shields, no healing spells, again no 8-9th level spells

The inspiration I drew for this class is based on the Sublime Chord from the Complete Arcane. I'm also wondering about other abilities for the class, though the spell progression may be good enough to not need any.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads