HExblade's specter: only temp HP or normal *and* temp HP?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hello

I've seen a few posts here that seem to indicate that the specter the hexblade can create at level 6 only has a few temp HP - ie it's a fragile thing.

But when I re-read the entry in the book... I'm not so sure. First it says that it has the stats as per monster manual - wouldn't that include normal hp? Also, it doesn't say "it has" temp HP, it says it *gains* temp HP - ie it gets tougher (a bit) based on your character level. It also has a special bonus to attack (note bonus, not base number)= to your charisma bonus.

So is this spectre a spooky, one hit wonder or does it have a bit of staying power?

jgsugden

Legend
It never occurred to me that it would not have both the normal and temp hp. However, at high level, it will be killed quickly.

Xanathar's said:
When you slay a humanoid, you can cause its Spirit to rise from its corpse as a specter, the statistics for which are in the Monster Manual. When the specter appears, it gains temporary hit points equal to half your warlock level.

Seems pretty clear to me that it should have normal HP of a Specter and then gain temp hp, so 5d8 (22) normal hp plus 1/2 your Warlock level in temp hp.

Harzel

Adventurer
Seems pretty clear to me that it should have normal HP of a Specter and then gain temp hp, so 5d8 (22) normal hp plus 1/2 your Warlock level in temp hp.

I agree with the others: there's nothing to indicate the specter does not have normal hit points. Also, with only the temp HP, it seems pretty useless considering it is a major subclass feature.

hastur_nz

First Post
I agree with the others: there's nothing to indicate the specter does not have normal hit points. Also, with only the temp HP, it seems pretty useless considering it is a major subclass feature.

Totally agree, it should be base + temp. Except that personally my Hexblade has never actually got to create said Spectre - very few humanoids in our game from mid level up, and now that he's got the Soul Cage spell, he'd rather use that (and has only once; level 15 now).

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Worse than useless... a creature with 0 hit points is unconscious or dead, even if it has 1 or more temporary hit points!

I am arisen! I shall keel you all...! *poof*

Worse than useless... a creature with 0 hit points is unconscious or dead, even if it has 1 or more temporary hit points!
Wanted to bring that up too. I have a Warlock player which works a lot with TempHP and while checking through the rules and feats regarding that it becomes pretty clear that the rules and feats are mostly written so that they prevent the situation that someone has 0 HP and still TempHP, so it's highly unlikely that a summoning without HP is intended.

Remove ads