Hey DMs, what are your quirks at the table?

Wangalade

Explorer
:-S

You dress at the table in a giant panda costume? Giant panda is a playable race in your campaign? YOU are a giant panda?!?

Please explain!

They always show up in the game at some point. Sometimes they are intelligent, sometimes they are actually giant sized, sometimes they are just a pet or just eating bamboo in the forest. It's become a running joke in my games.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I also run games mostly standing. These days my preferences lean towards games where players make all the dice rolls so I can focus on engaging with my players. I'm fairly tall though - about 6'2".

Stormonu

Legend
I do character voices as well - sometimes to the point I've had two NPCs start arguing or bantering with each other, which has caused no end of amusement to my players.

Perhaps the most memorable occurance was when the PCs returned to their mentor and complained about the "apprentice" that had been sent with him (he had several fumbles and other really bad rolls during the adventure). The mentor (as me) proceeded to dress down the apprentice, and when one of the PC's first interrupted the apprentice's rebuttal, I ran with it having the mentor continue silencing the apprentice's attempts to plead his case.

So, as the mentor I was becoming increasingly stern and as I switched to the apprentice he increasingly gained a sad panda face until the players were rolling on the floor laughing. They did feel sorry enough for the apprentice they took him on their next adventure and he managed to fare much better (after starting the new adventure very apprehensively).

Also, undead. There's always undead about somewhere ...

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I do character voices, sometimes, or I'll at least indicate a type of accent they may have.
We usually use a grid or tactical map of some kind. We use Heroclix or D&D Minis for PC's, usually some kind of counter or the zombies from the board game 'Zombies' for crowds of NPCs.
I try to find character pictures or scene-setting pictures for the major NPCs and major locations, and clip them to the other side of the GM screen.
Sometimes we include sounds effects from one players tablet, like 'forest at night' or 'busy tavern'
There is a laptop off on the side desk, that I use for special sound effects, ambient music, or sometimes video (for instance, we did a scenario in an alternate America 1943, and at least two of the players had looked blankly when I said 'Movietone News'. So I ran a clip from one to show them how they were getting news that wasn't from a newspaper).

Character voices tend to happen regularly.

Wererats WILL be around somewhere.

Some stock personalities will show up in most campaigns -especially Pete Hutter. :)

Remathilis

Legend
6954268.jpg

Remove ads