• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hey! That's not what an ape is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowpie Zombie

First Post
So I'm flipping through my d20 Modern core book and I read the "Ape" entry under the "Friends and Foes" chapter. There we are told that "Apes are powerful omnivores that resemble gorillas but are far more aggressive; they kill and eat anything they can catch."

I said to myself: "Hmmmm....that doesn't sound right." So I did some quick research and confirmed what I already suspected: "Ape" is a general term that encompasses gorillas, gibbons, chimpanzees, and orangutangs. In other words, all gorillas are apes.

It bugged me a bit that the d20 Modern boys invented a "new" type of animal by distinguishing apes from gorillas. I would think the real-world animals should at least be relatively accurate in their information given...

slingbld

Explorer
HAR! I never noticed that! You got a point though. I mean, the real world creatures shouldn't be TOO hard to write up correctly :\

takyris

First Post
This just proves what I've been saying about apes and monkeys the whole time, man. Nasty creatures. Nasty and dirty and icky.

Did I mention that there are no apes or monkeys in my campaign world? None. At all. None. Nada.

I have kind of a thing about 'em.

Nasty foul creatures. yech

DMScott

First Post
Cowpie Zombie said:
It bugged me a bit that the d20 Modern boys invented a "new" type of animal by distinguishing apes from gorillas. I would think the real-world animals should at least be relatively accurate in their information given...

I believe the description is taken from the D&D ape, so it's a WOTC error rather than a d20 Modern-specific error. As for why D&D did that, the Monster Manual is not exactly a paragon of zoological research - I imagine they figured "Dire Ape" sounded cool, so they had to put in a normal ape to match.

d4

First Post
interesting. why didn't they just call it a gorilla and be done with it?

or is it supposed to be some kind of parallel universe brand new gorilla-like species that's more aggressive than other types of ape? if so, they should have given it a new name that's not as confusing.

(technically, don't humans fall in the "ape" family tree as well?)

morrolan

First Post
d4 - I think so, in the Pulpy, Tarzany sense of apes that are like gorillas, but not quite. What would you call them though? Maybe Wild Apes or Great Apes, but neither of those terms are any clearer.

Krieg

First Post
I'm sure the Modern Ape reference is just a throwback to the old 1E Carnivorous Ape (and yes I know this one is an omnivore).

takyris said:
This just proves what I've been saying about apes and monkeys the whole time, man. Nasty creatures. Nasty and dirty and icky.

Ever see Chimpanzees hunt? Wow. :eek:

Last edited:

DMScott

First Post
d4 said:
interesting. why didn't they just call it a gorilla and be done with it?

"Dire Gorilla" doesn't have the same ring to it as "Dire Ape", IMHO. ;)

Also, various monkey species have "ape" in their name due to old misclassifications, so that might also be part of the confusion.

d4 said:
(technically, don't humans fall in the "ape" family tree as well?)

Yup. We're pretty similar to chimpanzees and gorillas anatomically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads