• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Hey! What of you think of this idea?

RACER_X?HAHAHA

First Post
So I've had this idea for a campaign world knocking around inside my head. The gist of it is that there are two sides to the world, the civilized side, and the primeval side. The civilized side exists in walled countries that culturally resemble various U.S. cities from the 1970's and have an urban fantasy type feeling. The world outside the walls of civilization is ruled by Fey aristocracy, and has a more high fantasy style to it.

Other quirks are that racial alignments are thrown out the window, so you can have a party with a Lawful Good Gnoll Paladin, Chaotic Neutral Dwarf Bard, and a Neutral Ogre Fighter without it being odd. This applies to undead as well, and the the creation of undead is not considered universally evil.

What do you think?

Nellisir

Hero
So I've had this idea for a campaign world knocking around inside my head. The gist of it is that there are two sides to the world, the civilized side, and the primeval side. The civilized side exists in walled countries that culturally resemble various U.S. cities from the 1970's and have an urban fantasy type feeling. The world outside the walls of civilization is ruled by Fey aristocracy, and has a more high fantasy style to it.

Other quirks are that racial alignments are thrown out the window, so you can have a party with a Lawful Good Gnoll Paladin, Chaotic Neutral Dwarf Bard, and a Neutral Ogre Fighter without it being odd. This applies to undead as well, and the the creation of undead is not considered universally evil.

What do you think?

I thought you meant a flat world, where one side was civilized and one was wild. And then I thought (reading the mouseover popup) that you wrote "welled cities", so I thought maybe the civilized cities were dug into the earth, and poked through into the wild side as towers or something.

Your concept is interesting; I wouldn't have expected US cities of the 1970s. I'd connect them with covered railways or similar; the party gets stranded in the wilderness when something goes wrong and the track they're on gets smashed.

The alignment thing is "eh". A lot of the humanoid cultures have been built around the racial alignment, so taking that out intensifies the "humans in masks" concept. Everyone is a special flower, so everyone is the same.

RACER_X?HAHAHA

First Post
Thanks for the feedback. The alignment thing is mostly concerned with the "civilized" part of the world. Outside of the cities you get back into more typical alignments. The vast majority of the world is actually the wilder side.

I see it more of a civilization vs. nature cold war sort of thing. The people living within the walls have sided with higher thought, while those outside have sided with instinct.

Starfox

Hero
Are the cities magically supplied, or do they control limited hinterlands where farming, mining etc can happen?

What is the tech level? If high, does it work outside the cities?

RACER_X?HAHAHA

First Post
Are the cities magically supplied, or do they control limited hinterlands where farming, mining etc can happen?

What is the tech level? If high, does it work outside the cities?
They're not walled cities, they're walled countries. The smallest of which are roughly the size of Mongolia, so they have plenty of land available for resource acquisition. Travel outside of the the walls is possible so international trade can be done, but the risks are high so the goods are typically expensive.

Tech level is modern, with sporadic use of weird science, and yes it does work outside the the walls. However bringing to much high tech equipment out into the wild has a tendency to offend the fey, which is not generally something you want to do.

Starfox

Hero
Ah, that's pretty large countries, able to be self-sufficient. Having such a large scale might make things feel more silence-fiction than fantasy. Basically, you could spend your entire life in a country of that size and never feel penned in.

RACER_X?HAHAHA

First Post
Ah, that's pretty large countries, able to be self-sufficient. Having such a large scale might make things feel more silence-fiction than fantasy. Basically, you could spend your entire life in a country of that size and never feel penned in.
Yeah, it's sort of a science fantasy kind of thing. You can set an entire campaign within the civilized lands if you wanted, or take it out into the wild and deal with the more fantastic things. Inside the walls the worst you'll get are humanoid at least in shape. Outside you might have to deal with a kaiju.

RACER_X?HAHAHA

First Post
Soyle3.jpg

I made a map. This is rough so take that into consideration. The black ovals represent the civilized countries, the white ovals are the strongholds of fey nobles, everything outside of those is wild, belonging to neither fey nor humanoid.

Remove ads