• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Hidden Path Making 3rd Person Open World AAA D&D Video Game

Hidden Path Entertainment is recruiting for an "AAA, third-person, open-world fantasy RPG that will be taking place inside the Dungeons & Dragons franchise." The game will use Unreal Engine 4. The company has made games like Raccoon Lagoon, Witchblood, Defense Grid, and has also been involved with Age of Empires and Counter Strike. An open-world game is one like the Grand Theft Auto series...

Hidden Path Entertainment is recruiting for an "AAA, third-person, open-world fantasy RPG that will be taking place inside the Dungeons & Dragons franchise." The game will use Unreal Engine 4. The company has made games like Raccoon Lagoon, Witchblood, Defense Grid, and has also been involved with Age of Empires and Counter Strike.

An open-world game is one like the Grand Theft Auto series, where the player is free to roam across the world. Other examples include Fallout, Assassin's Creed, and more.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 10.37.13 PM.png

Dire Bare

Legend
Looking at Hidden Path's releases, I am doubtful that this is actually going to be AAA. Open-world is a more concrete term, but there are a ton of open-world games that are terrible. Heck, isn't Neverwinter Online practically open-world?
Neverwinter is not an open-world game. You can't just set off across the country side to explore, you are very constrained to specific locations on the map, and once at a location, you are very funneled.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Neverwinter is not an open-world game. You can't just set off across the country side to explore, you are very constrained to specific locations on the map, and once at a location, you are very funneled.

I've never actually played it myself, but I assumed it, like many MMOs, was open-world.

Anyway, to illustrate my point, consider Valheim (which is having a bit of a viral moment right now) which is an open-world game, but also not really a AAA game either. I could see a D&D game released that is similar in quality to this, but I'm extremely doubtful we would be getting anything much better.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I've never actually played it myself, but I assumed it, like many MMOs, was open-world.

Anyway, to illustrate my point, consider Valheim (which is having a bit of a viral moment right now) which is an open-world game, but also not really a AAA game either. I could see a D&D game released that is similar in quality to this, but I'm extremely doubtful we would be getting anything much better.

I would expect something with a much larger budget than Valheim (which is an Indie game), but not as high quality (though here's hoping!).

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads