• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hide in Plain sight; Legal?

Iron_Chef

First Post
How does the bluff skill work with hiding in plain view?
Does the hide in plain view work during a battle. For instance, if Elvis is fighting the King can Elvis hide in plain sight and basically disappear?

hong

WotC's bitch
Yes, Elvis can disappear in the middle of a fight, assuming there's shadows around and he has a standard action with which to do so.

I guess the question is, WHY would Elvis want to disappear? Or perhaps we all know the answer to that already. Or perhaps not.

Zhure

First Post
As a complete aside, while some have ranted about Hide in Plain Sight being too nice, if you look at it as a very limited form of invisibility, it's not so wicked.

Greg

mikebr99

Explorer
Zhure said:
As a complete aside, while some have ranted about Hide in Plain Sight being too nice, if you look at it as a very limited form of invisibility, it's not so wicked.

Greg
It's better then Invisibility...

The Invisibility spell has set DC for finding someone who is invisible... someone hiding in plain sight uses their (usually if they are a good Rogue) much higher Hide skill to set the DC for finding...

Casting a Invisibility spell is a std. action (faster if quickened)... HIPS is a move equiv. action.

I'm sure there are more... I just can't think of them at the moment.

Mike

niteshade6

First Post
Well hide in plain sight does have limitations. First off, if you attack you come out of hiding, and if you use the stalking rules in S&S you can only move a very limited distance before you attack. You can't hide again without a move action, so unless you have spring attack or haste there is no way to hide, attack, and hide again on the same round, and even this can be foiled by a readied action.

Finaly, remember that the only abilities HIPS actualy gives you is the ability to hide in a room without concealment, and the ability to make a hide check while being observed. Aside from this, it's just normal hiding, and anything that would reveal or give bonuses against somebody who was hiding normaly would also reveal somebody using HIPS.

Steverooo

First Post
mikebr99 said:
It's better then Invisibility...

The Invisibility spell has set DC for finding someone who is invisible...

Hardly!...

I learned this, painfully, with my 7th level Ranger, with Spot & Listen maxed out, and Blind-fight, to boot!

Spot DC 20 just lets you know that something invisible is out there... somewhere (how you can "Spot" that, without getting at least direction, the DMG doesn't say)! To get a general direction is DC 30. To get exact location is DC 40! This requires a roll of 20, being 17th or higher level, AND having Spot maxed out, as a Class Skill (a bit lower, with high WIS)!

:mad:

So, a 7th level Ranger, with Spot as a Class Skill, and maxed out, can detect the GENERAL DIRECTION of an invisible opponent only on a roll of a natural 20, and still will not have enough information to target the correct square! :p

If you see a line of footprints appearing in the dust (Spot DC 20), it seems to me that that should be sufficient to target the invisible opponent. The rules, as written, are bad game design, IMHO.

Invisibility should give a bonus (+10? +20?) to Hide, and a successful Spot should be all you need to know exactly where an Inviso-critter is. :eek:

Invisibility, as it stands now, is too powerful, completely negating the abilities of the PCs or their opponents. Blind-fight doesn't help, either, as it only helps you hit something once you know where it is! :mad:

:rolleyes:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Steverooo said:

Hardly!...

I learned this, painfully, with my 7th level Ranger, with Spot & Listen maxed out, and Blind-fight, to boot!

Spot DC 20 just lets you know that something invisible is out there... somewhere (how you can "Spot" that, without getting at least direction, the DMG doesn't say)! To get a general direction is DC 30. To get exact location is DC 40! This requires a roll of 20, being 17th or higher level, AND having Spot maxed out, as a Class Skill (a bit lower, with high WIS)!

I don't know, I've got a 7th level cleric with a +19 Spot.

I also have a 7th level Psion with a +19 spot.

Having a Spot as a class Skill, a 20 wisdom, and Eyes of the Eagles (+5 Spot) tends to help.

dreaded_beast

First Post
in the FAQ, hide in plain sight is a move-equivalent action that works like the hide skill. you can move and hide at the same time, since you can do that with the hide skill. so on your move phase of combat, you could move 15ft. to get to a foe and hide in plain sight, then on your standard action, get 1 attack. or vice versa, attack then move away and hide.

Black Arrow

First Post
Caliban said:

I don't know, I've got a 7th level cleric with a +19 Spot.

I also have a 7th level Psion with a +19 spot.

Having a Spot as a class Skill, a 20 wisdom, and Eyes of the Eagles (+5 Spot) tends to help.

I designed a wererat (per MM guidelines) 3rd lvl rogue/2nd lvl guild thief [ECL 7] with 14 Wis, Alertness (bonus Guild Thief feat) and Eyes of the Eagle with Spot +25.

If he was tallfellow/elf hybrid with an 18 Wisdom he'd have Spot +29... at only 5th level. (Lycanthrope +8 Spot/Search/Listen racial bonus is obscene).

Remove ads