• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hide in Plain Sight

Timely Drought

First Post
Can the shadowdancer's HiPS be used while being observed? I think the ranger's HiPS specifies as can be used while being observed, but I didn't see that for the shadowdancer.

Sejs

First Post
Hide in Plain Sight (Su): A shadowdancer can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. She cannot, however, hide in her own shadow.

Timely Drought

First Post
Ok, somehow I missed that.

Another question, can HiPS be used in total darkness? Or does there need to be light to have shadows?

Last edited:

RigaMortus

Explorer
Timely Drought said:
Ok, somehow I missed that.

Another question, can HiPS be used in total darkness? Or does there need to be light to have shadows?

Would it matter? If you were in total darkness, you'd have total concealment anyway...

But I think the answer can go either way really... I would say that it depends on if your DM considers 'darkness' as just one big black shadow OR if he considers 'shadow' a seperate thing from 'darkness'.

fl8m

First Post
Oddly enough this same question came up in our campaign, we were all in the underdark and all had darkvision. Determining how shadows work in darkvision became of sudden importance when the rogue started eyeing the shadowdancer PrC. Luckily the rogue chose assasin instead but the dm said he'd probably allow it to work if there was something that could grant concealment within range. Has anybody come up with a better idea of shadows in a dark place vs darkvision?

Thanee

First Post
I would consider darkvision just like normal vision here. Having darkvision foil HiPS would also make this ability kinda weak, since darkvision is very common.

The HiPS ability is supernatural, which implies, that it is magical, so it is probably based (somehow) on magical darkness, which darkvision fails to penetrate.

There is a shadow (no need for light, a dark place is also considered a shadow, I think that has been covered in the FAQ) within 10 ft. and being observed by someone with darkvision doesn't matter, so the shadowdancer can hide.

Now Deeper Darkvision or True Seeing is a different matter...

Bye
Thanee

ThirdWizard

First Post
Oh no, it wasn't my intention to bring that up! I wouldn't entertain the notion that Darkvision foils Hide in Plain Sight. Nope, nope nope.

What I meant was that it makes a difference when you question whether an unlit underground tunnel is one big shadow or not. Darkvision means that (assuming you rule that an unlit underground tunnel has no shadow) you are constrained by the normal concealment/cover rules for Hide and must find approprate aid to make a Hide attempt while under these conditions, or you must create light in order to make a shadow (counter-intuitive isn't it? :)). Ruling that an underground tunnel is one big shadow means that you can use HiPS from opponents with Darkvision while under these conditions, because you're always near a shadow.

Therefore ruling whether the underground area is a big shadow not as much a moot point as it might first appear to be.

EDIT: Personally, I say its one big shadow, but apparently others disagree!

Last edited:

RigaMortus

Explorer
Well this might be a silly question but, if Darkvision can see through darkness, does it also see through shadows? I know realistically there shouldn't be a difference between darkness and shadow, but this is D&D which has specific terms that have specific properties and meanings... So can someone with Darkvision see through shadows, or just darkness?

ARandomGod

First Post
RigaMortus said:
Well this might be a silly question but, if Darkvision can see through darkness, does it also see through shadows? I know realistically there shouldn't be a difference between darkness and shadow, but this is D&D which has specific terms that have specific properties and meanings... So can someone with Darkvision see through shadows, or just darkness?

Someone with darkvision can see perfectly well through "shadows". Assuming you're not talking about magical shadows or the creature 'shadow'.

Not that this has any bearing on the Hide in Plain Sight that the shadowdancer gets, because that doesn't actually hide IN the shadows, so much as it needs shadows to empower it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads