• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hideouts for Super Villains

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
What are some reasonable hideouts people have used in their supers games for villains? The idea of the abandonned warehouse, while functional, is a little cliche.

Whereas it is kind of cool to think of some crooks hanging out in a museum or art gallery, it is not nearly as feasable to do so due to the traffic it gets.

If anyone has ideas to get past the warehouse problem, please share.

Spikeo

First Post
It's been awhile since I've run a superhero game. Some of the places I put the villain's layer include abandoned military bases, small islands off the coast city, and my favorite was underneath the Seattle Center. That one threw the heroes for a loop.

My suggestion is to think about what your villain is out to accomplish and what sort of theme they operate under (like Hydra's snake theme for instance) and work out a base that is functional as well as interesting. Just yjink if you were a villain would you get caught dead operating out of an old warehouse? No way, you'd want the coolest digs in town, maybe right under the authority's noses.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
For more powerful villains, I once used a hideout in the clouds. But for someone along the lines of Joker or Riddler type guys, a cloud base seems a little out of their league.

But I do like the idea of a small island or military base.

Morgan Keyes

First Post
In a dark metropolis-setting similar to Dark City or Big O's Paradigm City I had the villian's base in a subway train, constantly moving through the labyrinthine network of tunnels below the megalopolis (sp).

Or there's also the off-shore converted super-tanker or oil platform.

Another choice for a major organization is that they actually run a private super-villian prison. This gives them tons of legitamacy to be in sensitive areas and access to bleeding-edge tech, as well as ready access to subjects for recruitment or experimentation. (though I think I may be remembering something from M&M's Lockdown, so idea kudos where they properly belong).

Last edited:

Ben Robbins

First Post
Take any business or building in the city, then picture it out of business and abandoned -- instant base:

- Closed zoo, weeds overgrowing the habitats
- Dusty amusement parks, hall of oddities, or empty arcades (for the Joker/Riddler types you mentioned)
- Condemned hospital or insane asylum
- The old sports stadium (preferably with a roof that opens)
- A whole mall of shops, now teeming with agents
- That skyscraper that was condemned but still hasn't been knocked down for some odd reason...
- Bowling alley, pool hall and so on

There is also the clever vehicle as base. Harder to find a moving target:

- Cargo ship, anchored on the docks or in the bay
- Subway train that roams forgotten (or even public transit) tunnels. Also works for surface train.
- Jumbo jet, that only lands to refuel on occasion
- Who doesn't want a zeppelin or flying aircraft carrier platform?

For a big, big base that was right under the heroes' noses, I had Dr Null set up shop in an old geothermal plant built beneath the city decades ago and then abandoned and forgotten when it didn't pan out. Lots of prebuilt chambers, a supply of power, and he had easy access to the utility tunnels beneath the streets. Plus once it was discovered, the heroes had that satisfying "ahhhh, that's how he did it" feeling, since the base made sense in the game world.

[EDIT: Kudos to you Morgan -- we cross posted. Great minds think alike]

C. Baize

First Post
Huge underground bunker ala the military bunker in The Hulk.
Space based ala Asteroid M in the Marvel Universe books.
Big disused sewer cistern and passages ala the Morlocks in the Marvel Universe books.
Abandoned military base.
The Hive from the Resident Evil movie. (I never played the game, so that's the only frame of reference I have for it)
Abandoned Subway Stations.
For those who mentioned a vehicular base... I submit for your approval, the following...
The LCAC (Landing Craft, Air Cushioned). 87ft by 47ft. Can be on land or water, and the rubber bumpers are bullet resistant. I've attached some pics.
Enjoy.

Oh... very decent stats for the above-mentioned LCAC can be found in the original Blood and Guts.

Attachments

• lcac_1.jpg
    lcac_1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 202
  • lcac_2.jpg
    lcac_2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 231
  • lcac_5.jpg
    lcac_5.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 191
  • lcac_6.jpg
    lcac_6.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 208
  • lcac_7.jpg
    lcac_7.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 194
  • lcac_13.jpg
    lcac_13.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 205

arscott

First Post
One of my favorite villian hideouts is in Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. IN the movie, the Joker hung out at the abandoned Gotham World's Fair.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
With all the suggestions of abandonned properties being used as bases and hideouts, I imagine the city council would be well within their rights to say that once a property is no longer in use, tear it down. :cool:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
1 - A government funded space station that is armed with nukes which the supervillian's organization managed to easily capture (being that they were the subcontractors).
2 - A top secret research facility
3 - The renfair (or a traveling circus)
4 - A nondisclosed location on the internet
5 - A pocket dimension/plane
6 - The Sewers

Remove ads