• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Hiding in dim light / darkness

I got confused here.

If someone hides in dim light, do the enemies get disadvantage on perception?
If someone hides in complete darkness, do the enemies automatically fail perception?

In other words, is knowing where someone is a check that relies on sight?

You would argue it relies on both hearing and sight. But is the requirement for the disadvantage/autofail "Relies ONLY on sight" or is it more "If sight is an important aspect to succeed"?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Yes, if you rule that the perception relies on vision only.
If someone hides in complete darkness, do the enemies automatically fail perception?
Yes, if you rule that vision is the only way to detect the creature.

You would argue it relies on both hearing and sight. But is the requirement for the disadvantage/autofail "Relies ONLY on sight" or is it more "If sight is an important aspect to succeed"?
I would play that the disadvantages apply when the attempt relies only (or let's say, almost only) on sight.

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
I would give most creatures disadvantage on Perception checks in dim light and darkness, because vision is the primary sense for most creatures. However, so long as sound and smell are still viable options, the check isn't automatically failed.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (he/him)

If someone has the Skulker feat, or is a wood elf and the dim light is from a natural source, they can try to hide while lightly obscured by the dim light. If they are within hearing range of quiet noise (max. 60 feet, but maybe as little as 10 feet) then an attempt to notice them relies more on hearing and isn't made with disadvantage, but if they are beyond hearing range of any quiet noises they might make, then the attempt relies entirely on sight and is made with disadvantage.

No. If they are within hearing range of quiet noise, any enemies that might notice the hiding person by hearing make a check normally. If they are beyond hearing range of quiet noise, however, they have no chance to notice a person hiding in darkness, barring some extenuating circumstances.

Well, noticing someone is usually just a matter of seeing or hearing them with no check because they aren't hidden. If they're hidden though, it depends on the circumstances. In my games, the overwhelming majority of WIS (Perception) checks to notice hidden creatures rely on hearing rather than sight. Sight comes up in corner cases like those I gave above. Most of the time, I'm going to rule on whether someone is seen or not before calling for a WIS (Perception) check, and only in the event they haven't been seen.

guachi

Hero
I would give most creatures disadvantage on Perception checks in dim light and darkness, because vision is the primary sense for most creatures. However, so long as sound and smell are still viable options, the check isn't automatically failed.

Basically this. These kind of checks are so discretionary that as a DM I feel obligated to tell the players why I'm doing what I'm doing.

E.g. "It's pitch dark. In fact, it's magical darkness! And your in a silence spell. But you're being tracked by a bloodhound that gets advantage on Perception checks using smell. He finds you."

Racing Breca

Villager
Dim light creates a lightly obscured affect, which creates disadvantage on perception checks. I would rule that advantage from keen hearing and/or smell would negate disadvantage from dim light.
Darkness creates a heavily obscured area which imposes the Blinded condition. Automatic failure of perception checks. Creatures with keen hearing and/or smell would have a normal roll for perception in total darkness. Even with a successful perception check, attacks have disadvantage.

Harzel

Adventurer
If someone has the Skulker feat, or is a wood elf and the dim light is from a natural source, they can try to hide while lightly obscured by the dim light. If they are within hearing range of quiet noise (max. 60 feet, but maybe as little as 10 feet) then an attempt to notice them relies more on hearing and isn't made with disadvantage, but if they are beyond hearing range of any quiet noises they might make, then the attempt relies entirely on sight and is made with disadvantage.

No. If they are within hearing range of quiet noise, any enemies that might notice the hiding person by hearing make a check normally. If they are beyond hearing range of quiet noise, however, they have no chance to notice a person hiding in darkness, barring some extenuating circumstances.

Well, noticing someone is usually just a matter of seeing or hearing them with no check because they aren't hidden. If they're hidden though, it depends on the circumstances. In my games, the overwhelming majority of WIS (Perception) checks to notice hidden creatures rely on hearing rather than sight. Sight comes up in corner cases like those I gave above. Most of the time, I'm going to rule on whether someone is seen or not before calling for a WIS (Perception) check, and only in the event they haven't been seen.

This sounds pretty much like the right answer, IMO, maybe with additional consideration if the creature that might perceive you has another keen sense, such as smell.

Thinking about it, it would be pretty boring if heavy obscurement would mean that hiding always succeeds.

One of my players also suggested to go for Shiroiken's way, so I think I'll use that.
Basically it's not really disadvantage because of the obscurement rules, but rather disadvantage because the DM determines that noticing a threat in darkness is harder than noticing a threat under normal conditions.

Horwath

Legend
If the hiding person/creature is in motion then perception can be rolled for sound detection.

If its pitch black and creature is motionless in ambush then perception fails unless hiding creature has very strong body smell or other creature has very strong scent ability and very close.

CapnZapp

Legend
I got confused here.

Hiding and sneaking doesn't depend on sight, insofar that you don't become hidden just because you turn invisible. Ergo, detection is just as much sound-based as sight-based.

In fact I'd be inclined to say the reverse - if you're NOT in dim light or darkness you might get Disadvantage on your hide!

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads