• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hierophant worth it?

pbd

First Post
Is the Hierophant PrC worth the loss of spell progression? I am playing a cleric in a current campaign (lvl 8; Aasimar/cleric 7), I know he would not qualify for several levels (Uh, 7 right?).

This PrC grants some nifty powers; ranged touch, better turning, spell power, and making a spell a spell-like-ability, but you lose spell progression (at least you don't lose caster level).

I know it can add good flavor, but does it cripple the cleric by reducing soells/day and slowing the cleric's gaining higher level spells?

Infiniti2000

First Post
pbd said:
I am playing a cleric in a current campaign (lvl 8; Aasimar/cleric 7), I know he would not qualify for several levels (Uh, 7 right?).
You need 7 more levels of cleric and then you can start taking Heirophant.

pbd said:
Is the Hierophant PrC worth the loss of spell progression? ... I know it can add good flavor, but does it cripple the cleric by reducing soells/day and slowing the cleric's gaining higher level spells?
It's not worth it prior to gaining 9th level spells, no. It would be worth it to take as your 19th and 20th levels. The Heirophant PrC is actually quite lame IMO when compared to the Archmage.

Bill Muench

First Post
One of the best reasons to take Hierophant after 17th level is for Divine Reach. It, combined with Chain Spell, allow you to affect multiple targets with touch range spells (Magic Vestment, stat buffs, Death Ward, Freedom of Movement, etc.). That's pretty nice and makes for an excellent support cleric. Combine it with Divine Metamagic (Chain Spell) and it gets even better.

But like other people have said, I don't recommend taking it before 18th level.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads