• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

high action modern d20 system?

Shadow64

It's been a while since i've run or played anything, but my group is shy of a DM so i am going to give it a shot.

Now, i'm hoping to run a high action comic-bookish type of game that starts normal and then takes a turn towards the strange (magic, super science, mutants, etc).

I was thinking about d20 Modern (since it's closest to the core system), M&M2e (for the flexibility), maybe True20 (seems like a nice mix of d20 modern/M&M) for the rules since I was checking them out before taking an 8 month hiatus from gaming. But I'm wondering if anything new has come out since then that might fit the bill better.

Anyone have any advice?

chobin foot

First Post
Of the things that you mentioned...

The thing about D20 Modern is that guns don't kill that much when you've got a lot of HP. I am used to the genre of HP and taking a blow from a broadsword when it comes to D&D, but shooting someone multiple times with a shotgun should sting a little more. Adapting Star Wars Saga Edition might make more sense, although I am only saying this from what I've read of it. That being said, D20 Modern is "free" with the Modern SRD, and is simple to run if you're used to D&D. It's not my favorite, but many people like it.

True20 is super, and can easily do high-action comic bookish with a steady supply of Conviction points. You might get some more mileage out of the True20 Companion, custom Roles, and the Modern section... Darwin's World True20 might be useful for mutation, but it's not something that I have. With Green Ronin's Free RPG Week, the True20 rules are free to download for one day later this week... so this is also a potentially inexpensive option. And if it truly has been a while since you've played or DM'd, I would suggest True20 just because it's a simpler set of rules to work with in general (aside from the damage track).

Lower-power M&M2e could certainly do it. Again, the Beginner's Guide will be free to download for a day, which should be enough for players to be familiar with the rules.

/free is good

molonel

First Post
chobin foot said:
The thing about D20 Modern is that guns don't kill that much when you've got a lot of HP. I am used to the genre of HP and taking a blow from a broadsword when it comes to D&D, but shooting someone multiple times with a shotgun should sting a little more ... That being said, D20 Modern is "free" with the Modern SRD, and is simple to run if you're used to D&D. It's not my favorite, but many people like it.

Not quite. d20 Modern is more cinematic in the sense that people don't get hit full-blast with a shotgun in the chest over and over again. Hit points are abstract. You can describe it however you will, but it's the ability to avoid damage that is represented by hit points.

Also, the Massive Damage rules mean that every time you get hit with a single shot that exceeds your Con score, you roll a Fort save to see if you go instantly to -1. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

If you're used to playing D&D, a DC 15 Fort save might not sound like much, but I just ran a 13th level d20 Modern game over the weekend, and the only person who didn't sweat the DC 15 Fort save was the Strong Hero 3/Assault Training 10 Navy SEAL.

Also, unless you use Urban Arcana, healing magic is much, MUCH more rare. You can't start the game as a spellcaster. Spellcasting is something that only advanced classes can do, and the spells only go up to fifth level in the core rules.

d20 Modern may not be quite what he's looking for, but this particular argument doesn't hunt.

Peterson

First Post
Some things else to remember about d20 Modern's Massive Damage:
  • At a DC 15 save, your players will still auto-fail (roll a nat 1) about 5% of the time (I think that's the right amount). Might not sound like much, but trust me - on the Player's side, even 5% is about, oh, 5% too much.
  • You, as the GM, can increase or decrease the Massive Damage Threshold (MDT) as desired, making it as lethal or as cinematic as you wish.
  • The d20 Modern characters don't get tons of magical attribute points (i.e. Gloves of Dexterity, or what have you), even if you do play an Urban Arcana game...unless, of course, you as the GM, allow it.
  • d20 Modern base saving throws don't scale as fast as in D&D. You're going to be sweating DC 15 for a while, unless you build your character specifically not too.

Also, don't forget Action Points. That helps make any game Cinematic, in my opinion.

Peterson

Flynn

First Post
First, I'd like to suggest that you consider Grim Tales, a D20 Modern variant that can offer very cinematic play at the One-Skull danger level, particularly with Action Points that renew each session. I think it would do quite well at meeting your needs. It has rules for mutations, magic, firearms and horror checks, all of which seem to fit the mold you are looking to fill.

However, if the options are restricted to options you've given here, I'd suggest D20 Modern first, followed by True20. True20 and M&M both use the same basic underlying game mechanic, to my understanding, but M&M is written with superheroes in mind, while True20 is aimed at a more traditional level of adventuring.

Hope This Helps,
Flynn

Shadow64

I hadn't thought about Grim Tales - I do have the book, love it actually, just hadn't thought about it! Will have to check it out again (once i can find it...).

And i'm not limited to using just those rules - i'm looking for anything d20 based that would do high action, cinematic fun. I thought about Feng Shui, but don't have the time to learn the rules before running the game.

Lockridge

First Post
You've asked specifically for d20 however you also seem to want cinematic fun and cross-genres (mutants, magic, science). My definition of cinematic fun is that it is fast-paced.

I find that d20 is not fast. Generally you might have a fast moving plot that grinds to a screeching halt when combat comes up. A major combat can often take an hour or two out of a 4 hour game session. If you have two fights or one big fight that might BE your entire game session. At this point the game is less cinema and more tactical war-gaming/board-gaming.

I've recently run some d20 modern games that lost their pace due to the d20 rules. It was a good creepy plot but when combat started everyone shifted in their seats, got their books out and got ready for a table-top tactical game. If you want fast, furious fun try the Savage Worlds game system. A fight that takes an hour in d20 is often resolved in 10-20 minutes max. Savage Worlds is also designed for multi-genres.

Sheesh, this is the second time this month I've recommended Savage Worlds to someone. I usually play d20 though but I have to admit - if I want a fast pace, Savage Worlds is preferable.

If your players like the tactical table-top /rules lawyering kind of stuff then stick with d20. Savage Worlds is meant to be, as I said, fast, furious fun. Its not a table-top tactical strategy game on the detail level that d20 is.

Its all in what you like.

takyris

First Post
Something like PL6 Mutants & Masterminds would also be faster than d20 Modern, although you'd have to ride herd on the players pretty closely to make sure that you were getting the right feel for your game -- "street-level" superheroes like Daredevil and Batman instead of "Green Lantern, but less powerful".

It also depends on your group. My group had enough rules knowledge to run a Grim Tales action game at a pretty fast clip, but a group with less rules knowledge would have been slower.

Shadow64

Lockridge said:
You've asked specifically for d20 however you also seem to want cinematic fun and cross-genres (mutants, magic, science). My definition of cinematic fun is that it is fast-paced.

I find that d20 is not fast. Generally you might have a fast moving plot that grinds to a screeching halt when combat comes up. A major combat can often take an hour or two out of a 4 hour game session. If you have two fights or one big fight that might BE your entire game session. At this point the game is less cinema and more tactical war-gaming/board-gaming.

I've recently run some d20 modern games that lost their pace due to the d20 rules. It was a good creepy plot but when combat started everyone shifted in their seats, got their books out and got ready for a table-top tactical game. If you want fast, furious fun try the Savage Worlds game system. A fight that takes an hour in d20 is often resolved in 10-20 minutes max. Savage Worlds is also designed for multi-genres.

Sheesh, this is the second time this month I've recommended Savage Worlds to someone. I usually play d20 though but I have to admit - if I want a fast pace, Savage Worlds is preferable.

If your players like the tactical table-top /rules lawyering kind of stuff then stick with d20. Savage Worlds is meant to be, as I said, fast, furious fun. Its not a table-top tactical strategy game on the detail level that d20 is.

Its all in what you like.

I agree completely - d20 combat is slow. I will definantly check out Savage Worlds, thanks!

Michael Tree

First Post
Lockridge said:
While that's certainly true of D&D and d20 Modern, it's not true of Mutants and Masterminds. I like Savage Worlds and recommend it too, but M&M is just as fast and allows for more detail if you want it. A PL 6 M&M2e game would work well. If you decide to go that route, check out the "Street Level Archetypes pdf from Green Ronin, and/or the Agents of Freedom book.

I would also recommend the new Star Wars Saga game. It's incredibly streamlined and fast, with loads of fun character customization. Just ignore the Force rules, and have airplanes and car chases instead of starships, and you're golden.

Remove ads