High Level and Very high level fighter feats

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
John Q. Mayhem said:
That there's an [Epic] feat that does that.

There's an epic feat that allows a full attack after a charge, yes, but what does that have to do with Morris' feat? It allows a full attack as a move action, which would let one (for example) take a full attack and a normal attack, or a full attack and quaff a potion, or a full attack and cast a spell.

glass

(he, him)
Staffan said:
Isn't that what I wrote?

Not quite. The main difference is that the +2 charging bonus does not apply to the pounce full attack, only to the normal attack you get as part of the charge action.

glass.

the Jester

Legend
CRGreathouse said:
There's an epic feat that allows a full attack after a charge, yes...

...but only on the first round of combat. Yup, even in 3.5 (according to the revised version in Draconomicon).

Gave Dire Charge to a nasty epic level bad guy, but didn't get to use it cuz I hadn't realized that you could only do it in the first round. :(

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
the Jester said:
...but only on the first round of combat. Yup, even in 3.5 (according to the revised version in Draconomicon).

Gave Dire Charge to a nasty epic level bad guy, but didn't get to use it cuz I hadn't realized that you could only do it in the first round. :(

Well, my point was that Dire Charge is very different from this feat.

Chorn

First Post
Michael Morris said:
Razor Run
<snip>
Benefit: You may move your speed in a straight line and attack all foes adjoining your path of movement. You do not provoke attacks of opportunity during this movement. You may not attack a foe more than once per use of this ability.
Nice! Very cinematic. Presumably this is as a full round action? Does it allow a 5-foot step? Some more text detailing how it would work would help. It reads to me that it functions like Whirlwind Attack giving you one attack against each opponent, but it might also be read as being limited to your maximum number of attacks per round. Does the last sentence preclude things like using your Cleave attack to smack someone one more time?

Brutal Hit
<snip>
Benefit: You may make a single attack as a standard action. The difference between what you roll to hit and what you need to hit is added to your damage.
I don't see the point of this feat. If you have enough spare attack bonus that it would worth it to use Brutal Hit, wouldn't you be better off just pumping it into your Power Attack?

Maybe this feat could be tweaked for use as the basis for a house rule to benefit low level fighters. Change it to a full round action for the same benefits. That way we wouldn't have the oddity where sub-6th level fighters tend to be more mobile than their higher level counterparts because they have no incentive to full attack.

Craer

First Post
I am amazed. "Razor Run" is, literally and exactly, a feat that I was working on. Down to the same name.

I'm creeped out. :eek:

Staffan

Legend
Chorn said:
I don't see the point of this feat. If you have enough spare attack bonus that it would worth it to use Brutal Hit, wouldn't you be better off just pumping it into your Power Attack?
Power attack requires you to decide in advance how big an attack penalty you want. Brutal hit is like a power attack that you can decide to use after your attack hit.

Goolpsy

First Post
dunno what the names are in 3.5 but.. in 3.0 theres a movement action, and a standard action.. A full round action "cost" both the movement and the standard action to use, though it allows a 5 foot step. = With his feat, you can use your movements action, to do that fullround action.. and the standard action for something else.. light a candle, attack (NOT full round) for a sorc, cast a spell...

Chorn

First Post
Staffan said:
Power attack requires you to decide in advance how big an attack penalty you want. Brutal hit is like a power attack that you can decide to use after your attack hit.
But since it is its own standard action, you have to decide before hand whether you want to use it or not. Doing so locks you into attacking only once instead of your full iterative sequence. I can see it having value as a sort of lower risk alternative to Power Attack, when you're limited to a single attack for whatever reason, since you don't have to lower your chances of connecting but what about the extreme ranges? Sure hits and natural 20 situations favor Power Attack more since you have a chance at getting some damage off those iteratives. Consider the opportunity cost of using Brutal Hit compared to simply full attacking. Let's say you need to roll a 10 or better and roll a 15. A difference of 5 means an extra 5 damage. But compare that to the average damage of your remaining iteratives which can carry extras such as extra crit chances and weapon special abilities and it's not that great.

Perhaps it would be better if the extra damage was simply something that happens automatically. Whenever you roll higher than the target AC, the difference is added as damage to that attack. If allowing it for all attacks like this is too powerful, then it could be limited to once per round on your first hit. Make it double the difference for the once per round version if something in between is required.

Li Shenron

Legend
Michael Morris said:
Razor Run

This is a very good idea, and the prerequisites are well designed.

However, I would definitely be more precise as to which type of action this is, and it my opinion it should be a full-round action. Otherwise it seems possible to use this twice (first you move your speed and attack everyone on the path, second you go back and do the same). It would also be more in line with Whirlwind Attack. Eventually, once it's a full-round action you can extend it to allow moving to twice your speed (as it happens in a double move).

Michael Morris said:
Pouncing Attack

Absolutely definitely not. Too much open to abuse, if you think about it. At the very least make it be a standard action and not a move.

Michael Morris said:
Greater Massive Damage Strike

It doesn't seem particularly useful to me, but otherwise there are no problems.

Michael Morris said:
Brutal Hit

Definitely an improved version of Power Attack, obviously better since it does not lower your chances of hitting; good idea to make it require a separate standard action. There is something similar somewhere (perhaps in Rokugan CS), which gives exactly a damage bonus equal to the amount you exceed the AC.

Remove ads